Options

Combining Watermarks

kcentrickcentric Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited April 26, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention, but I'm in the middle of editing my first large event and I'm just not wrapping me head around how to do this. Normally I deal with clients one at a time but I have a large number of couples from a prom and need to automate the whole process. I want the couples who cannot afford a print order to be able to download a Facebook image for free (but one that has a sizable watermark on it so I at least get some exposure from it). However I want the print orders to be watermark free. How to accomplish this?

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited April 26, 2015
    kcentric wrote: »
    Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention, but I'm in the middle of editing my first large event and I'm just not wrapping me head around how to do this. Normally I deal with clients one at a time but I have a large number of couples from a prom and need to automate the whole process. I want the couples who cannot afford a print order to be able to download a Facebook image for free (but one that has a sizable watermark on it so I at least get some exposure from it). However I want the print orders to be watermark free. How to accomplish this?
    The original image is used for prints and that image is not watermarked.

From the help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93343-how-do-i-watermark-photos-:
    No worries, watermarks will not appear on prints ordered through SmugMug.

FYI: We don't watermark photos whose longest side is equal to or less than 800 pixels because a display copy and the original are the same image. The default proof watermark will apply to the Large display size and images larger than 801px on the longest side. Custom watermarks can be set to apply on any size down to the Thumb display size.

We also don't watermark your originals because the original files are what we use to create your gorgeous prints!
    The problem is, this doesn't address the download for free option.

You could enable web-sized digital downloads (via the shopping cart) but I'm not sure there is a way to enable that but make the download free. If you use digital downloads you will need to specify a printmark because the watermark will not be on the download.

One option that might work is to not enable right click protection on the gallery. Set the max display size on the gallery to something relatively small and allow right-click saves. Assuming that the display image has a watermark on it the saved image will as well. When selecting the display size make sure not to inhibit a viewer's experience for enjoying the photos though.
    You may not be specifying right click protect on, but in case you are... If you're not already aware of this - right click protection does not protect your photos. It takes no time at all to grab the displayed image from the browser cache, and methods for doing this are quickly found with a web search.

--- Denise
  • Options
    kcentrickcentric Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2015
    Thanks Denise. You are always helpful. Given the above (and since most of these kids will likely be viewing the site on their phones) I think I'll bypass right-click instructions, and instead put instructions at the top of the gallery to use the contact form and I'll e-mail them the free watermarked sample.