Union Park, Gunnison National Forrest

rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
edited August 23, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
Union Park
(A "park" is a natural open area in the forest.)

I've read that Union Park is one of the largest "parks" in the US forest system. I believe that Taylor Park, CO - which is only 3 miles away (and where I'm staying this summer), is the largest.

Union Park has lots of history. This area was famous for gold and silver mines in the mid/late 1800's. The park got it's name due to the miners in the area were sympathetic to the Union Army during the Civil War. It is also one of the few locations in the US that had hydraulic mining going on before the government stopped it after two years due to the massive destruction. I'll post some pics of that area later, with more history on that.

This image shows an old corral and cowboy bunkhouse. These were built in the 1800's, and are still used. Matter of fact, cowboys are using the bunkhouse as we speak. They drove thousands of cattle into Union Park from parts of Colorado and New Mexico about a month and a half ago.

The image is taken from just this side of Lottis creek. It so happens that the fellow who discovered the area many moons ago, had a gold claim at this very spot. He placer mined (panned the creek) for many years before he got old and sold his claim. (to the hydraulic miners)

BTW: The truck's not from the 1800's, it's mine :rolleyes
Randy

Comments

• EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2014
    Thanks for sharing, and the history and info Randy... looks like you're having a nice summer visit to the area.
    As a mountain biker, #2 beckons me strongly... wish I could ride right into it!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2014
    I'm sure glad you got to some internet connection. I'm really enjoying this flurry of stuff you're throwing our way. Like in this case; the old building in #1 and the grand view of the area in #2. Man, I could stand a dose of that place.

That rainbow shot, the morning sky....pretty impressive work.

Like I said, pard, keep the good stuff flowing. I wish I could be there to share one with you.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing, and the history and info Randy... looks like you're having a nice summer visit to the area.
    As a mountain biker, #2 beckons me strongly... wish I could ride right into it!

Howdy Eric,

We're having a fantastic summer up here.

Bring your bike on over. Also bring some oxygen, as the elevation at Union Park is about 10,000'.

Thanks for looking and the nice comments!
    Randy
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2014
    I'm sure glad you got to some internet connection. I'm really enjoying this flurry of stuff you're throwing our way. Like in this case; the old building in #1 and the grand view of the area in #2. Man, I could stand a dose of that place.

That rainbow shot, the morning sky....pretty impressive work.

Like I said, pard, keep the good stuff flowing. I wish I could be there to share one with you.

Tom

Howdy Pard,

I've been slacking with pictures this summer. I've only taken 2,800 images so far ne_nau.gif

I'm trying to pick up the pace though.

My goal this summer is to name all the fish up here. So far I'm up to 685 trout!

I always appreciate your time to look at my images thumb.gif

Take care...
    Randy