Autumn on its way

pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
edited October 3, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
Autumn%20leaves%20falling-main-X2.jpg

Got the inspiration to go out and do some photo work from a good friend. It's been a while :D
Spent about 6 hours on this from planning to finished. :D

What do you think?
Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2014
    Great job on pulling this one off. There's lots of lighting concerns going on. It all works well. I definitely get a feeling of the coming season.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2014
    Good idea, congratulations!
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2014
    Great job on pulling this one off. There's lots of lighting concerns going on. It all works well. I definitely get a feeling of the coming season.

Tom

Thank you!

Yes indeed, almost everything is strobe lit. I tried going for back-lit leaves in the foreground and normal lighting for the ones further back. I would like to know if this comes across on your display, as I've found the back-lit effect doesn't quite make it on all devices. I used bare lights and a redhancer filter on the camera to get the maximum colour out of the leaves.

There's separate lights behind the building pointing in through another window to get the room lit, that one also got the far background in the same exposure. One light handles foreground (behind the leaves). CTO-gels on these to get the incandecent look.

Lot of throwing leaves in front of the camera and stacking in post involved to combine all of it together :D
    Juano wrote: »
    Good idea, congratulations!

Thank you very much :)
    Creativity's hard.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    Great idea! Again surprised how shutter of 180 gave such crisp details in leafs! Fall is coming and I will use this idea of yours somehow....if given the chance! Cheers!clap.gif
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Great idea! Again surprised how shutter of 180 gave such crisp details in leafs! Fall is coming and I will use this idea of yours somehow....if given the chance! Cheers!clap.gif

Thank you, and do go ahead and give it a try :D

The exif is not the whole truth here. It's coming from one the background layers I used to build the final image onto (it's a composite).

I think I shot most of the leafs at 1/60 f/8. The shutter time matters very little when it's dark and the light is coming from strobes - it is the length of the strobe pulse that counts then, which would have been around 1/10000 here.
    Creativity's hard.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    pyry wrote: »
    Thank you, and do go ahead and give it a try :D

The exif is not the whole truth here. It's coming from one the background layers I used to build the final image onto (it's a composite).

I think I shot most of the leafs at 1/60 f/8. The shutter time matters very little when it's dark and the light is coming from strobes - it is the length of the strobe pulse that counts then, which would have been around 1/10000 here.

Thanks for the info and okay!:Dthumb.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    pyry wrote: »
    Thank you!

Yes indeed, almost everything is strobe lit. I tried going for back-lit leaves in the foreground and normal lighting for the ones further back. I would like to know if this comes across on your display, as I've found the back-lit effect doesn't quite make it on all devices. I used bare lights and a redhancer filter on the camera to get the maximum colour out of the leaves.

There's separate lights behind the building pointing in through another window to get the room lit, that one also got the far background in the same exposure. One light handles foreground (behind the leaves). CTO-gels on these to get the incandecent look.

Lot of throwing leaves in front of the camera and stacking in post involved to combine all of it together :D

Thank you very much :)

I appreciate the insight you've provided about all the machinations required to get your results....which are impressive.

My display clearly shows the difference in lighting on the leaves. Those in the foreground are decidedly backlit.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    Really well done. One nitpick given all the post processing that you did do, could you fix the vertical lean out of the building too?
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
    edited October 1, 2014
    I appreciate the insight you've provided about all the machinations required to get your results....which are impressive.

My display clearly shows the difference in lighting on the leaves. Those in the foreground are decidedly backlit.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I'm glad it works! wings.gif
    Creativity's hard.

edited October 1, 2014
    JC wrote: »
    Really well done. One nitpick given all the post processing that you did do, could you fix the vertical lean out of the building too?

Thank you!

It's 12 mm wide angle, there's nothing running pararrel because of the perspective distortion and straightening it would just make the distortion more noticable. That's my story anyway and I'm sticking to it! mwink.gif
    Creativity's hard.

• Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2014
    That is one "HECK" of a shot. Have to visit this section more often.

Spinner
    edited October 3, 2014
    That is one "HECK" of a shot. Have to visit this section more often.

Spinner

Thank you very much Spinner!
    Creativity's hard.