Harry and Linda's Most Excellent NYC Visit

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited June 24, 2011 in Journeys
Hi Y'a,

Seven years ago we moved down to Florida after living in NYC for 57 years. Last week we returned for our first visit since our move.

Spent the night before our departure at the Hyatt. Very convenient as its right over the airport and the bellboy hauls your luggage down to the airport for ya. I packed light for the trip taking only my Fuji X-100 and the D300 + 18-200 lens. I used the Fuji for around 80% of my captures

DSCF0407-XL.jpg

took the tram over to the gate
DSCF0413-XL.jpg

After a short flight in a flying cattle car we arrived in the Big Apple
DSCF0824-XL.jpg

Arrived at our hotel (the Wingate on W 35th) and it was immediately invaded by a horde of tourists.:yikes
DSCF0466bw-XL.jpg

By mere coincidence the hotel was a short walk from Mecca (aka B&H).
DSCF0436-XL.jpg

DSCF0432-XL.jpg

DSCF0433bw-XL.jpg

Every salesperson I spoke with asked me about the Fuji I was carrying. $1200 later we grabbed a hot dog (all we could afford at that point) and found that the steps of the PO building on 8th Ave was still a popular spot for lunch.
DSCF0438bw-XL.jpg

Now most folks visiting NYC come for the museums, the buildings, etc. Been there, done that. After 7 years in a food wasteland I came back for food. :eat I had a pastrami jones that could be satisfied by one place.

DSCF0670-XL.jpg

DSCF0684-XL.jpg

DSCF0686-XL.jpg

DSCF0676-XL.jpg

At Katz's they give you this ticket when you enter. Its used to mark off your purchases as you order at the counter. If you lose the ticket you have to pay $50. When you go up to the counter there's this tip cup. What you do is have $2-3 in your hand and stuff the bills in the tip cup before you order or speak to the carver. This puts you in his good graces and the end result is
DSCF0674-XL.jpg

#2 on my list was pizza. Don't even ask me about the pizza in Florida. :nah
John's on W44 the was close by. Johns is located in a building that used to be a church. Very appropriate as it is a religious experience.
DSCF0582bw-XL.jpg

DSCF0588-XL.jpg

DSCF0591-XL.jpg

After Johns we had tickets for the Book of Mormon
DSCF0593-XL.jpg

The show was one of the best shows I have ever seen on Broadway. If you get a chance see it.

After the show I discovered that Times Square area has been transformed into Downtown Disney. :bash
DSCF0605-XL.jpg

DSCF0606-XL.jpg

DSCF0597-XL.jpg

Back to important stuff. If you ever visit NYC there is one institution that should be on your list.

Peter Lugers
For an appetizer I recommend their sizzling bacon. When you take the first bite its like someone is throwing a party in your mouth.
DSCF0791-XL.jpg

The menu is pretty simple. Its porterhouse for one, two, three or four people.
DSCF0793-XL.jpg

Linda wanted to stop in at Ellen's Stardust Cafe. The food there is nothing to rave about but its a lot of fun and they do make a pretty mean egg cream.

Short educational break for any folks who don't know about egg creams. Its a beverage invented in Brooklyn that contains no eggs or cream hence the name. You take 4 ounces of milk, 8 ounces of seltzer (real seltzer not the flat bottled kind) and two tablespoons of Fox's U-bet chocolate syrup and mix it up.

Anyhow Ellens is a retro 50's cafe whose main attraction is its singing wait staff.
DSCF0554-XL.jpg

DSCF0553-XL.jpg

DSCF0543-XL.jpg

DSCF0548-XL.jpg

DSCF0557-XL.jpg

Even more than food the real attraction of NYC for me is the people.
DSCF0745-XL.jpg

DSCF0648-XL.jpg

DSCF0469-XL.jpg

DSC8646-XL.jpg

DSC8588-XL.jpg

DSCF0559-XL.jpg

DSC8639-XL.jpg

Before I knew it our time was up. I don't know how many more trips we have left as Linda is really slowing down with our luggage.
DSCF0832-XL.jpg

I spent a lot time just hanging out on the streets and got to BS with a bunch of different folks. Everybody was a sweetheart and I didn't have one negative experience. Flying home I realized that during those few days in NYC I felt more at home there than I have in the last 7 years.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    Love love love this post. As you know Manhatten is my home town. What did you spend your $1200 on at BH Harry?

I will have to visit your favorite restaurant next time I go.

Superb street photography. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 14, 2011
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif There's great food in Spain, but the pizza sucks and they've never heard of pastrami. I haven't been to NYC in a hell of a long time, but this makes me want to go back. Somehow I imagine a poor person begging on the sidewalk in front of B&H with a sign, "No home, no job, need $300 for a thin ND filter."

Thanks for the tour. Oh, and that Fuji is looking great. thumb.gif
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Love love love this post. As you know Manhatten is my home town. What did you spend your $1200 on at BH Harry?

I will have to visit your favorite restaurant next time I go.

Superb street photography. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Thanks Dan, it was great to be back in NYC.

We got Linda a P&S and binoculars for our upcoming Africa trip. I got some 16 GD cards and a new monopod for the trip.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited June 14, 2011
    I'm really not a city person but these photos really drew me in. Nice job capturing NYC!

--- Denise
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited June 14, 2011
    Outstanding journey, Harry! Great images.

I feel like I was right there with you in the Big Apple.

Were the B&Ws straight out of the Fuji, or did you convert them later in PS?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 14, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Outstanding journey, Harry! Great images.

I feel like I was right there with you in the Big Apple.

Were the B&Ws straight out of the Fuji, or did you convert them later in PS?

Thanks PF, Linda and I had a fantastic time. I converted the images using NIK's Silver Efex plug-in. The Fuji does fine in B&W but being anal I like controlling the process.
    Harry
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    Fine post Harry...I really enjoyed it. Luger's as seen on TV...nice...got to go there one day.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2011
    :food :food :eat
  • Logic 7Logic 7 Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    Is that Dennis Rodman in the superman outfit? Sorry couldn't help myself. Thanks for taking us along on your trip.
    Jeff
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    Harry, your street pics are superb! Second only to your wildlife shots.

Glad to hear the Fuji is working out for ya.
    edited June 15, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif There's great food in Spain, but the pizza sucks and they've never heard of pastrami. I haven't been to NYC in a hell of a long time, but this makes me want to go back. Somehow I imagine a poor person begging on the sidewalk in front of B&H with a sign, "No home, no job, need $300 for a thin ND filter."

Thanks for the tour. Oh, and that Fuji is looking great. thumb.gif

Thanks Richard the Fuji is really impressing me.

I tried that begging number outside of B&H with very poor results.
    Harry
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    OMG that sidewalk shot
    of all those people. I used to be able to navigate throngs of people like that without a care in the world! Recently I went to Union Square in San Francisco had had flash back nightmares! And Times Square, OMG has that changed, glitzier than ever! Enjoyed your restaurant ventures. I don't think I've eaten in any one of those. Most of my time was spent on the island or Jersey and when I worked in Manhattan it was get in, work and get out of the place, Laughing.gif. Loved the photos of the B&H interiors!

The biggest surprise the sign that said a $350 sign for honking your horn? (outside of Katz Deli) When did that happen? NYC was the horn honking capitol of the world!

Loved the photos!
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    Great set of photos, Harry, and thanks for the story of your visit. For living as close as I do, I don't get into NYC nearly enough, but you've helped provide some inspiration, and made me hungry. And I love the look Superman is giving you...
  • raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2011
    I am really hungry now! Great post, Harry! thumb.gif
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
    edited June 15, 2011
    I'm really not a city person but these photos really drew me in. Nice job capturing NYC!

--- Denise

Thanks Denise, I thought that I had stopped being a city person before this trip but after a short time on the streets I was hooked again.
    Harry
    edited June 15, 2011
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Fine post Harry...I really enjoyed it. Luger's as seen on TV...nice...got to go there one day.

Thanks Ed and Peter Luger's is definitely a place to visit. Remember though they only take cash. The only credit card they accept is their own credit card.
    Harry
    edited June 16, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    :food :food :eat

Well as some one once said "its all about the food".
    Harry
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2011
    My favorite shot that makes me laugh is #10, the Katz interior shot... Get a load of the guy with the huge beard right in the middle of the shot! :D

Fun alignment! thumb.gif

DSCF0686-S.jpg

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Great series of fine SP, Harry.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 16, 2011
    Harry, this is a wonderful series. Thanks for the memories. But honestly, how did you get through the trip without a single shot of a squirrel? lol3.gif

:hide

edited June 16, 2011
    Logic 7 wrote: »
    Is that Dennis Rodman in the superman outfit? Sorry couldn't help myself. Thanks for taking us along on your trip.

That outfit is a tad sedate for Rodman
    Harry
    edited June 17, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    Harry, your street pics are superb! Second only to your wildlife shots.

Glad to hear the Fuji is working out for ya.

Thanks Schmoo the Fuji is just about perfect for street shooting.
    Harry
    edited June 17, 2011
    Dee wrote: »
    of all those people. I used to be able to navigate throngs of people like that without a care in the world! Recently I went to Union Square in San Francisco had had flash back nightmares! And Times Square, OMG has that changed, glitzier than ever! Enjoyed your restaurant ventures. I don't think I've eaten in any one of those. Most of my time was spent on the island or Jersey and when I worked in Manhattan it was get in, work and get out of the place, Laughing.gif. Loved the photos of the B&H interiors!

The biggest surprise the sign that said a $350 sign for honking your horn? (outside of Katz Deli) When did that happen? NYC was the horn honking capitol of the world!

Loved the photos!

Hey Dee,

I was surprised at how fats I got back into that NYC pace. Mayor Bloomberg is trying to gentrify the city a bit. The good news is that while one's use of the horn is limited they haven't limited the most vital driving tool yet, one's middle finger.
    Harry
    edited June 18, 2011
    moose135 wrote: »
    Great set of photos, Harry, and thanks for the story of your visit. For living as close as I do, I don't get into NYC nearly enough, but you've helped provide some inspiration, and made me hungry. And I love the look Superman is giving you...

NYC is always worth a day trip just for the food alone.
    Harry
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2011
    Very cool, Harry. The wife's been after me to go to NYC with her for some time, and I've been resisting. You've sold me. Thanks for the "marriage counselling."
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited June 18, 2011
    I am really hungry now! Great post, Harry! thumb.gif

I'm a tad hungry myself looking at those pics. Thanks for stopping by Glenn.
    Harry
    edited June 19, 2011
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    My favorite shot that makes me laugh is #10, the Katz interior shot... Get a load of the guy with the huge beard right in the middle of the shot! :D

Fun alignment! thumb.gif

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Great series of fine SP, Harry.

Don

Thanks Don, those were my htoughts when I viewed the capture.
    Harry
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited June 19, 2011
    I keep going back to the sammich....:drool
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited June 21, 2011
    Angelo wrote: »
    Harry, this is a wonderful series. Thanks for the memories. But honestly, how did you get through the trip without a single shot of a squirrel? lol3.gif

:hide

I took multiple shots at the squirrels. They just weren't taken with a camera.
    Harry
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2011
    Harryb wrote: »
    I took multiple shots at the squirrels. They just weren't taken with a camera.
    I have a big-assed slingshot by the back door. I let fly with a paper pouch full of millet. Loads of fun, and the birds can eat the millet!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Mr EddyMr Eddy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2011
    I'm suddenly incredibly hungry. Your photos brought back so many memories of NYC. Way overdue for another visit.