TOROWEAP= Thermostat and Tow Truck

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited July 29, 2009 in Journeys
Toroweap was a trip that had been in the works for weeks and the Phoenix contingent of Ryan, Matt, Shawn, and myself were all anxious and excited to get to this remote part of the Grand Canyon. E-mails, text messages, and even a beer and taco meeting took place to ensure we had our bases covered and were bring the supplies we would need.

Friday morning came very early, but with a 9 hour drive ahead of us we departed Scottsdale AZ fully loaded at 6am. It wasn't even an hour later when our first sign of trouble occured when the temp guage of the Jeep suddenly jumped from 215 to 250 degrees. After checking out the vehicle we found no signs of the Jeep overheating and the temperture guage had now dropped back to the normal operating range. We decided to push on as this made no logical sense. The Black Canyon mountain is no small hill with a 6% grade for more than 20 miles- and that grade took a toll on the Jeep. The inconsistent problem re-occurred several times on this climb and we determined if we could make it to Camp Verde we would get the Jeep checked out. We pondered, debated, theorized, and argued over the potential cause as we struggled to climb each hill.

Rolling into Camp Verde at 8am, a short time behind schedule, we found a Tire Pros which was a full service garage and enlisted their help into the problem at hand.

600251401_DhhvJ-L.jpg

600250532_8ABNY-L.jpg

Our assigned mechanic Dane did not come across as the sharpest knife in the set but we figured he does this on a daily basis, so he should know more than the four of us. Dane performed a few diagnostic checks on the vehicle which reported no error codes and a radiator pressure test which came back fine. No real problem presented itself so a hypothesis was drawn that the thermostat must be the problem.

3. Dane performing the pressure test
600252526_rqxNd-L.jpg

Two hours and a C-note later a new thermostat was in place and we were pulling out of Camp Verde with two large climbs to Flagstaff ahead of us. I touched base with Joel who was patiently waiting in Flagstaff. I let him know we were on our way and if the issue was fixed we would be there in less than an hour.

Fifteen minutes after that conversation ended, the temp guage again spiked showing the Jeep was once again overheating. At this point my temperature was hotter than the Jeep as we were now hours behind, many more hours to go, and holding up Joel. More diagnosing, more theorizing, more debates, and more frustration is what occurred as we limped the Jeep mile by mile towards Flagstaff. A new plan was in place- we would rent a SUV or even a van in Flagstaff and leave the Jeep with a mechanic Shawn knew.

12pm : Rental SUV's in Flagstaff are hard to come by. The only SUV left in Flagstaff was a 2wd 4runner with passenger tires and no hitch. The day just keeps getting better.

I call Joel and tell him to take off and if we are lucky we will meet up in Toroweap or somewhere between. We grab the 4 runner and quickly off load as much weight from the Jeep into the back of it including half of the hot air breathing photograhers on this journey. A quick stop for gas and a crappy convience store sandwich we are booking it towards Page in the Jeep still with trailer and a 4 runner. The Jeep crew exchanges unpleasantries with the 4 runner crew as we are driving across the Northern Arizona desert with the windows down and the heat on in mid July. On a positive note - I lost weight on the broke a$$ Jeep program.

The inconsistent overheating issue continued to plague the trip with the temperature spiking in an instant and then just as quickly dropping back into normal operating range without any other signs of the vehicle overheating.

50 miles from Fredonia and 60 plus miles from Page the Jeep comes to rest. The radiator gave out and the Jeep marked its territory in front of the Vermillion Cliffs.

600249534_avDxy-L.jpg

Though the view was not terrible it was terribly hot and there is no cell signal in this area. Luckily we had the 2nd vehicle and were able to finally get a signal after back tracking 15 miles towards Marble Canyon. A quick call to AAA got a recovery call in to a local tow company but we had no idea where they were coming from.

The third or fourth plan was now discussed. If the truck is coming from Page we will just stay in Page and shoot. If the truck is coming from Fredonia then we will see how quick the Jeep can be repaired or possibly take the rental out to Toroweap.

3pm- stressed- ticked off- and hungry Ryan has the best plan yet!

5. Roadside Dogs
600250415_yuwGr-L.jpg

After two hours of enjoying the fine temps and view of the Vermillion Cliffs the tow truck arrives with none of the information I had provided over the phone. Luckily he has a receiver hitch so he can pull the trailer as well as load the Jeep onto the flatbed. The four of us now pile into the rental and high tail it towards Fredonia stopping to shoot a deer and a scenic view point near Jacobs Lake.

6pm or shortly after we get to the shop where the Jeep is being towed to and move our pertinent gear into the rental (cameras and change of clothes). We shoot some shots in the yard of other broken vehicles and misc junk.

6. Old Ford at Sunset
599377721_xUVFT-XL.jpg

We begin to realize the rest of the surroundings and can't help but laugh.

We are at Judd's Auto Service/ Gas Station where you can get gas, lotto tickets, beer, guns, ammo....

599366069_8BpEy-XL-1.jpg

get legal advice .....

599367494_L9ehe-L.jpg

AND to top it off the Jeep is under the watchful eye of a Sasquatch looking (and as difficult to take a picture of) beast dog named Poop Head. We agree that you can't even write stuff like this!!

We grab some beers and pizza for the night and try to figure what we can shoot at sunrise before the parts stores open and mechanic gets in. We find a three sentence paragraph about an old movie set five miles out of town and decide we will go look for that. Well what do you know.....we didn't find it.

We shot some barn hidden down in a valley off a dirt road and trespassed (twice) to shoot lake reflections.

600252255_FgEkz-XL-1.jpg

600252034_WyugE-L.jpg

After a few hours Ryan needed to make a pit stop.

What happens when one photographer holds up three others?

12. The Port O Ryan receiving a knock on the door from Toyota
600248604_jxjej-L.jpg

With a few hours left before the towns of Fredonia and Kanab awoke we sped out to Coral Pink Sanddunes. While the light was fair we had more fun playing with the unbelievably soft sand like a bunch of little kids.

11. Hands of time
600249176_Ubb98-L.jpg

12. Tiny Tracks
600248724_Z2TzS-L.jpg

We met with Lance, our mechanic, found a radiator in Kanab and discussed when we would return in the afternoon to pick up the Jeep. With the details worked out we hopped back in the Toyota a high tailed it to Zion National Park.

I hadn't been to Zion in a few years so I was surprised to see you could no longer drive up the canyon road but had to ride a bus. The other guys were discussing photography or post processing along the way but for the first time on this trip I was able to relax and take in the surroundings. Being a fan of Thomas Hydes' imagery I attempted to shoot in a similar style while in a closed environment.

13. on your left......
600248423_3hW7c-L.jpg

14. In Thought...In Nature....
600248536_gcBUJ-L.jpg

15. Reflection
600248905_kmsva-L.jpg

At the end of the road, at the end of a mile long trail, begins the journey up the Virgin River to The Narrows of Zion. We were short on time, there were storm clouds hovering, and quite honestly none of us felt like getting wet so we ventured no further. Instead taking the time to rest, take in the scene, and visit with people from all over the world.

16. Moving against the current
600249412_QCJNm-L.jpg

17. Wet Socks
600250171_bAQ6S-L.jpg

Leaving Zion we spotted some Big Horn Sheep along the road. Our stopping and paparazzi type shooting led to others stopping and many more slowing down to ask what was going on. When prompted, Ryan told a curious traveler it was a mountian lion. The reaction was of course priceless.

18. The Lions of the Mountain
600250737_Vrdci-L.jpg

Our antics continued until Matthew was slammed to the hood of Kanabs finest.

19. Busted!
599369767_XFT9Q-L.jpg

After bribing Officer Stiff by pulling the weeds from under the car we set out to collect the Jeep from Judds Auto, Gas, Beer, Guns, Ammo, and Law Office hoping of course we could get a photo of the ever evassive Poop Head.

20. Super Matt overlooks Lance's repair work on the Jeep
599369606_xYMC3-L.jpg

21. Ryan performs 'I can't drive 55' on the Mopar Mandolin
599365600_ged8j-L-1.jpg

With the Jeep fixed and Lance's cell number in hand We headed towards Jacob Lake deciding we would shoot Sunset and Sunrise at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Knowing Lance was less than 30 minutes away I pushed the Jeep as hard as it would go. With the AC on high I barreled up the mountain to Jacobs Lake doing 10 over the posted speed limit with the trailer whipping around like the tail of a happy puppy. Only having to brake for cows the Jeep pulled the mountain without any issue other than the AC got too cold and I had to turn it down.

22. The North Rim Lodge at Sunset
599364925_bZBUk-L.jpg

23. Relaxing
599363380_cggZo-XL-1.jpg

24. Early morning in the Grand Canyon Lodge
599359422_yzvCV-L.jpg

The drive to and from the North Rim is a mixture of large prarries where deer and bison can be seen, thick forest that encroaches onto the road, as well as charred trees from a distant forest fire.

599358796_nXpEf-L.jpg

The last photographic stop on this adventure was the boulders near Marble Canyon and Lee's Ferry. Ryan and I stopped for a few rocks and river shots while Matt and Shawn pulled off at a different vista.

26. Ryan among the rocks
599360958_UkTP8-XL-1.jpg

27. Roaving the Rapids
599359612_KcFAW-L.jpg

The rental was returned in Flagstaff and the drive home was quite and boring comnpared to the previous days. We missed out on the opportunity to meet the group of photographers that made it to Toroweap but we managed to make the best of what we were dealt and all of us were able to see at least one place we had not visited before.

So while Toroweap is still on the list of locations to shoot a few others have been crossed off the checklist.

Thanks for taking the time to read about the trip and view the images. Feel free to provide any feedback or critiques of the images.
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Aaron this is priceless. clap.gifclap.gif Great to see and hear what happened to you. It sounds very painful (at least the first half) and I am so glad I didn't wind up going with you guys (no offense) rolleyes1.gif Your PJ skills are reeally good imo.

Thanks for sharing this.

Dan
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Awesome story and coverage, Aaron! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Aaron,

Sorry we didn't get to meet up. You guys did great considering the obstacles tossed at you. Your adventure makes our "Big Red Stuck in the Sand" story much less dramatic. Thanks for posting the shots and sharing your travelogue.
    edited July 24, 2009
    BTW, ISO, what it is with you and driving overheated vehicle with the windows down and heater on under 100 degree heat? Noticed any pattern lately? mwink.gif
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    Great report and photos...
    But... just have to ask as we ourselves went to Toroweap last year, are you sure this was Toroweap? Toroweap is from St George or Colorado City, 90 miles of dirt to finally the real raw aspect of the North Rim...
    We actually got stuck caught in rain, had to camp for to days on the side of the road... I learned the hard way what "kalachi" is...

375472304_EJTUz-M.jpg

Be well... Ara & Spirit
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • e mari ad terrame mari ad terram Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    BeemerChef wrote:
    Great report and photos...
    But... just have to ask as we ourselves went to Toroweap last year, are you sure this was Toroweap? Toroweap is from St George or Colorado City, 90 miles of dirt to finally the real raw aspect of the North Rim...
    We actually got stuck caught in rain, had to camp for to days on the side of the road... I learned the hard way what "kalachi" is...

375472304_EJTUz-M.jpg

Be well... Ara & Spirit

Yes these shots are not from Toroweap... That was our original destination... The shots are from the comedy of errors that kept us from reaching our final destination... BTW - it is also accessible from Fredonia area, which was our intended route... One day we will make the trek again. A little wiser, and a little farther down the road... headscratch.gif
    Fear evaporates when we realize that our life stories and the history of the world were written with the same hand.
  • BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Right...
    Hope you make it there sometime. It is truly unlike any other part of the rim... It is so "pulling" that I could not even sleep!
    One main aspect, since you will have 90 miles to return, which does not sound like much but it is "there", is always to leave back with a couple days of provisions. I never wait till almost out of water or everything else for that matter.
    It paid off on that excursion! I broke a bolt which for some reason I did not have a spare, my Friend went all the way to Colorado City and back to get me one, we got caught in bad weather! I personally was so happy to be stuck!!!
    Anyhow... sorry for the intrusion. If you wanted some odd company when you go next time... let us know! If near by would love to join you... as long as you feed Spirit he is fine!!! :D

Be well... Ara & Spirit
    The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
    My Gallery in progress...
    On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif shots!

:cry :cry :cry :cry POS JEEP

:ivar :ivar :ivar and the Fredonia/Kanabs finest got ya.... that cop dont have too much to say, does he?...rolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Quite an adventure, looks like you made the most out of it. My car died just after a 2,500 mile round trip drive to Yellowstone/Grand Teton and back, I was very lucky it decided to die just after the trip and not during it.

Great photos as well, #11 is my favorite.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Well, you boys certainly know how to make lemonade! Sorry about the car woes (did you get your $100 back for the un-needed thermostat?! Oy rolleyes1.gif), but sounds like you had a good weekend despite. Great story; great images. Bravi tutti!
  • OspreyOsprey Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Great Story
    Really enjoyed you adventure and photos Nice combination of narration and photography.clap.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Aaron this is priceless. clap.gifclap.gif Great to see and hear what happened to you. It sounds very painful (at least the first half) and I am so glad I didn't wind up going with you guys (no offense) rolleyes1.gif Your PJ skills are reeally good imo.

Thanks for sharing this.

Dan

:D No worries Dan. I am sure Matt, Ryan, and Shawn all wish they didn't go with me too. deal.gif

Financially it was a bit painfull but it was a good adventure.

Aaron Newman

edited July 25, 2009
    theNOIZ wrote:
    Aaron,

Sorry we didn't get to meet up. You guys did great considering the obstacles tossed at you. Your adventure makes our "Big Red Stuck in the Sand" story much less dramatic. Thanks for posting the shots and sharing your travelogue.

Hey Shaun- I am sure we will meet up soon. I owe Aaron a shoot and I am sure you will a heads up on that happenig. mwink.gif

Aaron Newman

edited July 25, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    BTW, ISO, what it is with you and driving overheated vehicle with the windows down and heater on under 100 degree heat? Noticed any pattern lately? mwink.gif

I could say the same about you and vehicles getting stuck in the sand. deal.gif

Jeep is running like a champ now. I am in Prescott this weekend and it made the climbs just fine with the AC on. :D

Aaron Newman

edited July 25, 2009
    BeemerChef wrote:
    Right...
    Hope you make it there sometime. It is truly unlike any other part of the rim... It is so "pulling" that I could not even sleep!
    One main aspect, since you will have 90 miles to return, which does not sound like much but it is "there", is always to leave back with a couple days of provisions. I never wait till almost out of water or everything else for that matter.
    It paid off on that excursion! I broke a bolt which for some reason I did not have a spare, my Friend went all the way to Colorado City and back to get me one, we got caught in bad weather! I personally was so happy to be stuck!!!
    Anyhow... sorry for the intrusion. If you wanted some odd company when you go next time... let us know! If near by would love to join you... as long as you feed Spirit he is fine!!! :D

Be well... Ara & Spirit

There are actually 3 main routes and about 30 other ways to get there. We were going to utilize BLM 109 which is only 60 miles of dirt road and is considered the easiest route.

I will get out there but I will probably wait and let the weather break. No need to duplicate the torture these guys went through.

Aaron Newman

edited July 25, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif shots!

:cry :cry :cry :cry POS JEEP

:ivar :ivar :ivar and the Fredonia/Kanabs finest got ya.... that cop dont have too much to say, does he?...rolleyes1.gif

Yeah the cop was the strong silent type. deal.gif

Send me an email or message with your weekends off so we can figure something out for another shoot. :D

Aaron Newman

edited July 25, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Quite an adventure, looks like you made the most out of it. My car died just after a 2,500 mile round trip drive to Yellowstone/Grand Teton and back, I was very lucky it decided to die just after the trip and not during it.

Great photos as well, #11 is my favorite.

Thanks Ron- it was an adventure for sure. Guess you are a little luckier than I. rolleyes1.gif

Aaron Newman

edited July 25, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Well, you boys certainly know how to make lemonade! Sorry about the car woes (did you get your $100 back for the un-needed thermostat?! Oy rolleyes1.gif), but sounds like you had a good weekend despite. Great story; great images. Bravi tutti!

We can always make a trip worth while. Hopefully the other guys will chip in some pics and narratives as well. I am sure they have some great stuff too and obviously a different perspective. deal.gif

Aaron Newman

edited July 25, 2009
    Osprey wrote:
    Really enjoyed you adventure and photos Nice combination of narration and photography.clap.gif

Thanks for taking the time to read it! thumb.gif

Aaron Newman

edited July 25, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I could say the same about you and vehicles getting stuck in the sand. deal.gif

Jeep is running like a champ now. I am in Prescott this weekend and it made the climbs just fine with the AC on. :D
    nononononono, I wasn't in the Big Red. :-) Our (I mean Aaron's:-) Quick Silver made it with the flying colors... Well, some undercarriage damage, but no overheating stuff:-)

Glad to hear the Jeep is running fine! thumb.gif
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Wow, this brought back memories of our breakdown a couple years ago on the way to the east entrance to the Grand Canyon. The drive shaft decided to give out about 5 miles before we reached the entrance station and of course there is no cell coverage there. Unfortunately we did not have a second car so I had to walk to the entrance station to find a payphone to call AAA. We ended up spending an extended weekend in Flagstaff and rented a car for a trip trip to Sedona while waiting for our car to be fixed.

I'm glad to hear you were able to make the best of the trip, considering the circumstances... thumb.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • davemandaveman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Funny
    This is really funny - sounds like you all had a blast anyway.

Toroweap is also on my list of places to hike / shoot. Seems like a fantastic place.

Thanks for the laugh.
    Dave
    edited July 26, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    Wow, this brought back memories of our breakdown a couple years ago on the way to the east entrance to the Grand Canyon. The drive shaft decided to give out about 5 miles before we reached the entrance station and of course there is no cell coverage there. Unfortunately we did not have a second car so I had to walk to the entrance station to find a payphone to call AAA. We ended up spending an extended weekend in Flagstaff and rented a car for a trip trip to Sedona while waiting for our car to be fixed.

I'm glad to hear you were able to make the best of the trip, considering the circumstances... thumb.gif

Thanks Bill-

Breakdowns are always a pain but as long as the camera batteries are charged you can find something to shoot even if it is just documenting the vehicle failure.

Note to self: have spare u-joints in the Jeep storage box. :D

Aaron Newman

edited July 26, 2009
    daveman wrote:
    This is really funny - sounds like you all had a blast anyway.

Toroweap is also on my list of places to hike / shoot. Seems like a fantastic place.

Thanks for the laugh.
    Dave

Thanks Dave- glad you got some humor out of it. :D

Aaron Newman

• sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    I know you guys didn't think this was funny during the trip but I have to say that your story is hilarious - I was rolling with laughter reading it - this is ripe for a short movie or something.
    Pictures are great too, love the old Ford at sunset and a bit dissapointed you didn't get one of Poop Head.
    Thanks for sharing, great stuff thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Stunning series Aaron!!
  • DustinFinnDustinFinn Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    I am liking that water shot with the canon and legs...

nice stuff!
    People:> www.DustinFinnPhotography.com
    Nature, Places and things :> www.DustinFinn.com
    Random Upload www.Flickr.com/photos/DustinFinn
    edited July 27, 2009
    sgonen wrote:
    I know you guys didn't think this was funny during the trip but I have to say that your story is hilarious - I was rolling with laughter reading it - this is ripe for a short movie or something.
    Pictures are great too, love the old Ford at sunset and a bit dissapointed you didn't get one of Poop Head.
    Thanks for sharing, great stuff thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

:D

If you ever ride with me you are in for an adventure and a good story. deal.gif

Aaron Newman

edited July 27, 2009
    grimace wrote:
    Stunning series Aaron!!

Hey Adam good to hear from you. wave.gif

Aaron Newman

edited July 27, 2009
    DustinFinn wrote:
    I am liking that water shot with the canon and legs...

nice stuff!
    Thanks Dustin- hope to see some posts from you. I think you will like it here. thumb.gif

Aaron Newman