Options

Question By Private Message

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 7, 2007 in Technique
Andy wrote:
I and your volunteer helpers get a zillion private messages asking for help.

We won't answer them in private message. I've asked everyone to post new threads with the PMs, and answer the questions in the open forum.

WHY?

A question by ONE (you) can be answered by MANY (me, and all of the fine helpers on Dgrin). The answer by ONE can benefit MANY (you and the others that are new, or haven't yet asked the question, or maybe they find the thread by searching.

You do yourself a disservice, too - I'm not the only one that can answer - and I have been known to be incorrect ...once or twice :lol3

Thank you for 100% cooperation and understanding.
PM wrote:
hey there Andy!! Long time, no see!

I just have a quick question for you--

If you were to recommend an online course to learn to shoot manual and really "get it" all with photography.. what would you recommend?

Or..

would you recommend going to the local community college and taking their classes instead??

Thanks!

Hi, Thanks for writing :) I don't have any to recommend, but the community might. You might consider taking a workshop, too - 3-4 days crammed with photography 24/7.

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, Thanks for writing :) I don't have any to recommend, but the community might. You might consider taking a workshop, too - 3-4 days crammed with photography 24/7.
    I agree w/ Andy that Boot Camps are going to be the most effective way to learn if you study well in that environment. Some ppl just don't like data loads like that though.
    If you want to go online. I have used http://www.lynda.com/ w/ great results. You can go there and look at the first few chapters of all their work before you sign up.

Community colleges would be my last route. I have allot of friends that have gone through different photog and design programs at a CC level and they have all agreed unless you have a great teacher. Your going to walk away from this w/ less knowledge than the two prior recommendations.

Hope this shed some insight on your question.

-Jon
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    Workshops and other
    I have learned many ways. I took beginning photography at The Santa Fe Workshops (with Sarah Meghan Lee) but also took it with a local photographer who taught at an Adult Learning Center. Taking the same thing twice really helped. I also took several one day/part day classes sponsored by the local camera stores. Currently, I am taking PS online though the local community college - and the class is incredible.

As I grow in my skills, and I continue to take workshops, classes and have bootcamp in a few weeks, I also take time to go out shooting with other photographers. I learn a lot from all the variety. For me, hands on and lots of practice is the best way to learn. Dgrin is a great way to discuss what you are learning and then the assignments are a great way to practice.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    melissa6631melissa6631 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    thanks andy
    I just remembered how knowledgable you were on the Sony forums (in the day) so i thought I'd come to you. Being a stay at home mom of 5-- it's hard to go to "boot camps".

Thanks for posting this! I look forward to seeing the responses.
    Missy Ü
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    I just remembered how knowledgable you were on the Sony forums (in the day) so i thought I'd come to you. Being a stay at home mom of 5-- it's hard to go to "boot camps".

Thanks for posting this! I look forward to seeing the responses.
    Hey Melissa :)

One other place you might check out - though I've never done it: http://www.nyip.com/

I've heard some good things.
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I have used http://www.lynda.com/ w/ great results. You can go there and look at the first few chapters of all their work before you sign up.

I just went through the free chapters on one of the Photoshop training courses for channels & masks and it looks pretty good. Seems like you could get through the whole course, and some others, for a month or 2 of fees at $25 a month.

Anyone gone through any of the Photoshop courses there?
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:
    I just went through the free chapters on one of the Photoshop training courses for channels & masks and it looks pretty good. Seems like you could get through the whole course, and some others, for a month or 2 of fees at $25 a month.

Anyone gone through any of the Photoshop courses there?
    No but, I've read most of the teachers books (not related to the site) they know what they are doing, and are not going to give bum info. they make a living about being good at PS.
    As far as bang for the buck. You can't beat this if your a good self learner.
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    Thanks Jon