Options

long exposure with nd400 9 stop but i need help

skippy77skippy77 Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited January 23, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
took this shot today with my new nd400 filter it is close to what i am looking for but i want to be able to add light to the ruins part of the shot as i find them to dark any help would be greatly recievedDSC_9303-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2013
    Generally speaking (without seeing all of your exposure info) if your image is underexposed, you can add light in post (with LR for example), however, I assume you want to get a more correct exposure in-camera.
    In this scene, with the sky so dark (clouds) you could simply vary one of your camera settings to get a brighter exposure - more seconds, higher ISO, or wider aperture for example.
    You probably knew all that, and I apologize for stating the merely obvious, but in this composition it doesn't seem any more complicated than that. Compositions with more brightness differential above and below the horizon are a different story.
    I like the shot!
    Keep trying and good luck!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2013
    Howdy,

There was a Thread a few days ago that had some
    really good information about shutter speeds for long
    exposures.

Here's the link to it

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=230632

Hope this is of some help !!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    I'm curious why you wouldn't stack a graduated filter on it in a situation like this. The horizon seems fairly straight. Even a 2 stop graduated ND would make a big difference in terms of exposure.

Adam Barker is a local 'tog in my area, and a fabulous landscape and commercial guy. Here is a video of him showing how he hand-holds a GND to get a more pleasing effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd0VBsT-Zi0
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2013
    i live in the canary islands were the sun is very strong i bought a screw on 77mm circle nd400 filter it is a 9 stop not graduated so the whole shot is going to be the same exposure i cant do anything in camera to change that what i was asking was how to lighten the ruins which i have now found out thanks anyways
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    "There was a Thread a few days ago that had some really good information about shutter speeds for long exposures." Craig, my post in that thread about exposure times was for a ten-stop filter. Those times would be off for a nine-stop.

I agree that an ND grad is probably called for. If you need one without the nine-stop, you need it with it. That seems clunky but you adjust the ND grad without the nine-stop on the camera, then remove the ND grad and attach the nine-stop, then put the ND grad back on. It works fine.
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2013
    thanks corn flake my exposure times were not overly long 47 seconds and 58 think this is 58 so set up the 9stop then stick a grad nd in front yep bulky but will give it a try thanks
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    skippy, just remember that you have to position the ND grad first, then temporarily remove it, because you won't be able to see to do it once you put the nine-stop on. (With live view and a high ISO you can sort of see, but not well enough to position an ND grad properly.)