Options

Ghosts of Fog - Mt. Tam

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited October 29, 2014 in Landscapes
North of San Francisco lies a treasure trove of opportunities for nature lovers. Some of those are Marin Headlands, Sausalito, Mt. Tam, Fort Baker, Point Reyes etc. Everyone should visit them once!

Below are my attempts. All feedback and criticism is heartily cherished. Cheers!

1)

1W7A7569-X3.jpg

2)

1W7A7561-X3.jpg

3)

1W7A7607-X3.jpg

4)

1W7A7658-X3.jpg

5)

1W7A7679-X3.jpg

6)

1W7A7684-X3.jpg

7)

1W7A7707-X3.jpg

8)

1W7A7702-X3.jpg

9)

1W7A7531-X3.jpg

10)

1W7A7533-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited September 22, 2014
    Outstanding series! Every one of them is a gem. clap.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Jim McClainJim McClain Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say every one of them is a gem, but definitely some very nice pictures there. :D I have to go to the San Jose/Palo Alto area in a couple of days, so I hope to find some pictures while I'm down there. Only gonna be there a day, maybe 2 (need a part for my Segway, which is my mobility aide). Maybe we could meet for coffee?

Jim
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    #5 if my favorite of the set. The lighting and resolution of the trees is excellent. #6 frame within a frame is appealing also. I could see #6 as a composite with the two huge trees as one image and the inside elements as the second.

I think the lighting of #1 and #2 would lend themselves well to B&W conversion.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    Fog is just a great beautifier. Always a great time to go photographing. Very nice series of images.

I really like the dimensionality, the 3-D effect of #5.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    A great series of images. I really like the concept of #6, but I think a little more detail in the side trees would be beneficial, maybe 1/2 stop or so. Then again it could just be my monitor. #10 is also a favorite. thumb.gifthumb

I'm heading out on a 4 week road trip in the next day or so. Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada to Apple Valley. If all goes according to a loose plan, we'll be hitting highway one and working our way northward back home.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Outstanding series! Every one of them is a gem. clap.gif

Thanks David! Value your feedback beyond what I can express! Cheers!bowdown.gif
  • Options
    Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say every one of them is a gem, but definitely some very nice pictures there. :D I have to go to the San Jose/Palo Alto area in a couple of days, so I hope to find some pictures while I'm down there. Only gonna be there a day, maybe 2 (need a part for my Segway, which is my mobility aide). Maybe we could meet for coffee?

Jim

Thanks Jim! I am not that easy! It would take lot more than a coffee! Dinner, wine and some music!rolleyes1.gif
    During weekdays if you are there, then it is hard because work ends around 5:30-6:00 pm if lucky, and traffic is terrible after that, and wherever you head, light most likely runs out. However, send me pm. Maybe there is opportunity to get few shots somewhere. Cheers!
  • Options
    #5 if my favorite of the set. The lighting and resolution of the trees is excellent. #6 frame within a frame is appealing also. I could see #6 as a composite with the two huge trees as one image and the inside elements as the second.

I think the lighting of #1 and #2 would lend themselves well to B&W conversion.

Phil

Thanks Phil! Appreciate your feedback as always!thumb.gif I don't know composite images yet....I tried B&W for first couple, but didn't work as hard as I should have to make them pop, appearing bit dull I thought...., so went with color.
  • Options
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Fog is just a great beautifier. Always a great time to go photographing. Very nice series of images.

I really like the dimensionality, the 3-D effect of #5.

Thanks Jim!wings.gif I too find that fog adds a whole other dimension. Sort of adds element of mystery, beauty, dreaminess and infinity from my perspective. If it was a clear day, the contrasty light through the trees would make it near impossible to shoot, unless someone know how to take 2-3 shots and blend them together. However, diffused light through fog really makes it easy! It is surprising how much light sensor picks up, while it appears gray to naked eye! Cheers!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    Not that wild about the first two, Taz. But the rest of them are just cracking. Love the iridescence of #5. I agree you could probably bring up the shadow detail a smidge in #6. The Ft Baker shots are really cool. I guess I need to go back there now. :)
  • Options
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    A great series of images. I really like the concept of #6, but I think a little more detail in the side trees would be beneficial, maybe 1/2 stop or so. Then again it could just be my monitor. #10 is also a favorite. thumb.gifthumb

I'm heading out on a 4 week road trip in the next day or so. Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada to Apple Valley. If all goes according to a loose plan, we'll be hitting highway one and working our way northward back home.

Phil

Really looking forward to your journal my friend! I think those are some of the most beautiful states for photography so you shall return with a sizable haul!

For #6, I thought just a hint to let it know it is tree stumps on the sides, was the way to go. I certainly had opportunities to bring out details there....was trying to keep attention away from them...but will try your suggestion and add touch more details.
  • Options
    kdog wrote: »
    Not that wild about the first two, Taz. But the rest of them are just cracking. Love the iridescence of #5. I agree you could probably bring up the shadow detail a smidge in #6. The Ft Baker shots are really cool. I guess I need to go back there now. :)

Morning and thanks bro! bowdown.gif
    Thanks for all the knowledge, both for photography and the locations! I thought Fort Baker POV was nice, easy to get to, generally easy parking, and they are open 24 hours with no rush to get out. However, our primary competition are Fishermen for the spots.....mwink.gifrofl
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    Another really good body of work, Taz. 4, 5, and 10 stand out for me.

I've always found that shooting in a forest is particularly challenging. The majesty I might feel and see while there seldom seems to transfer well to my recorded images. Somehow my images appear more cluttered and less distinctive than I remember the scene to be. Your forest work here runs counter to my experiences. Good job, buddy.thumb.gif

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    You really nailed the feeling of the fog. Great stuff!!

Sam
  • Options
    Another really good body of work, Taz. 4, 5, and 10 stand out for me.

I've always found that shooting in a forest is particularly challenging. The majesty I might feel and see while there seldom seems to transfer well to my recorded images. Somehow my images appear more cluttered and less distinctive than I remember the scene to be. Your forest work here runs counter to my experiences. Good job, buddy.thumb.gif

Take care,

Tom

Thanks Tom! Appreciate kind comments as always! The diffused light helps. In past I tried shooting these trails on clear day and was confused as to why it appeared I was hiking in shadows and camera picks up insane light with contrast. I would still someday want to get the "green" where you get your shots! Cheers!
  • Options
    Sam wrote: »
    You really nailed the feeling of the fog. Great stuff!!

Sam

Thanks Sam!thumb.gif
    Your recent Nightscape from city was in my head when I went to San Francisco! Crispiness and clarity of that shot was mind boggling! Standard worth pursuing! Cheers!
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    Very very nice. Each picture well worth viewing. #3 and #5 are my favs. I'll take a 16x20 of each.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    Very very nice. Each picture well worth viewing. #3 and #5 are my favs. I'll take a 16x20 of each.

Gary

Thanks Gary! Much appreciated!!
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2014
    #6 exposure on the large trees is just fine. After viewing on a non workplace monitor they look spot on. exactly as I envisioned.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2014
    All excellent shots Taz. I especially like # 5 and # 6. #5 looks like a scene out of Land Of The Lost. If I was there I think I'd be looking over my shoulder afraid T-Rex was stalking me! :D
    Seeing your work has always inspired me to try to improve my landscape photography. I am especially fond of your scenes that involve water.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2014
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    All excellent shots Taz. I especially like # 5 and # 6. #5 looks like a scene out of Land Of The Lost. If I was there I think I'd be looking over my shoulder afraid T-Rex was stalking me! :D
    Seeing your work has always inspired me to try to improve my landscape photography. I am especially fond of your scenes that involve water.

Thanks John! Always appreciate your imagination and dreaminess as I am guilty of same!:D
    Been a stranger for a bit.....post more man! Cheers!
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2014
    Some good shots in here.

I particularly like #6 and #7.

With #6, the way the foreground tree frames the background tree is really nice. And there is good detail in the foreground; it's a very nicely composed photo. The only thing I might change would be to burn the ground in the foreground closer than the first tree; it's a bit distracting.

With #7 I just like the fog and the trees and the trail. It seems very peaceful, and I'd REALLY like to be walking along that trail.

Great subject, keep working with it as it's producing some great shots! Probably October will be the worst season for fog on Mt. Tam, but hey ;-)
  • Options
    Aleksandar VasicAleksandar Vasic Registered Users Posts: 334 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2014
    Art.