Did someone say Lundy? + other fall colors

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited November 15, 2014 in Landscapes
Ran up to the E. Sierra quickly last weekend, squeezed in the some photography in the afternoons. As Stumblebum has already mentioned, not a cloud in sight on Saturday, also, there was a subtle haze, needed a good fall storm to clear out the aerosols, but that wasn't happening. Drove up Friday night, and should have blasted up to Mono Lake for the sunset, because there were clouds on Friday, but didn't.

There was a big windstorm early last week prior to my trip that stripped a lot of the trees in the upper canyons, lower canyons were more protected.

Lundy Canyon. Needed early morning light, but headed out after the AM soccer game, good day, but not great for photography. Nice beaver dams though. Lower canyon was still a riot of color, but we wanted to hike the upper canyon. I guess we talked a little bit too much to my nephew about going out to see the "fall colors", because he kept saying things like "you have fall colors stuck in your hair".

1 Beaver Dam
i-wMXs3Qk-L.jpg

2 Beaver Lodge
i-5Z5VBNh-XL.jpg

Convict Lake. Again, clear days in the Eastern Sierra beg for early morning light, but had to take care of some stuff in the AM again, didn't get there till the afternoon. Still, one of my favorite lakes, any time of day.

3 Upper lake, awkwardly cropping out sky flare.
i-jS3546H-XL.jpg

i-H7fMkRh-XL.jpg

i-BkjxNtp-XL.jpg

6 Magic levitating leaf
i-KJZzDHF-XL.jpg

7a
i-PXFmqst-XL.jpg
7b darker exposure eliminated the flare, but I like the one with my friend in it better, even with the flare.
i-mjkwV8P-XL.jpg

i-kcRFbKJ-XL.jpg

Lower Sabrina lake, I'm not sure of the name.

i-bchrRsQ-XL.jpg

10 with fisherman
i-JdrLs7p-XL.jpg

i-WTbpv6q-XL.jpg

12 Almost forgot the bald eagle fishing at Convict lake, BIF is a bit challenging with the OM-D E-M5 and cheap zoom lens. Shot is most notable for the capture against Laurel Mountain. Stopped at Tinemaha reservoir on the say home, there were white pelicans or swans on the far side, and a bald eagle sitting on a snag in the middle, but way out of range for pictures.
i-PMSRwcL-XL.jpg

13 Last gasp of the Milky way before it sets for the season. light in the middle is urban sky glow, and late sunset light, light on the left is urban sky glow reflecting off the aerosols from a wildfire.

i-jtp4H6B-XL.jpg

14 Late season monsoonal moisture on the way home, attempt at rain over Saline or Panamint valley. Was hoping to hit Red rock at sunset to capture the clouds, had to stop alongside the road near Little lake to grab the clouds before the light left.
i-4JqDG5C-XL.jpg

i-xGKc65J-XL.jpg

I went up with a Swiss friend who is fairly new to photography, mostly for birds, and took her into the Mountain Light gallery in Bishop. I asked her before we went if she knew the name Galen Rowell, she said no, but I promised her that she had seen his work, even if she didn't know the name. Always gratifying to take new people in there.
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• merlinusmerlinus Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited October 26, 2014
    Great set! I miss those granite mountains...
    -merlin
    Ubuntu Linux - LightZone - GIMP
    Visit my gallery
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 26, 2014
    Ugh, you're killing me here. It's been a horrible fall for me work-wise, so such great photos are painful to see. I may take a special trip out to Convict Lake just to try to get an eagle shot like that. Thanks for ruining my Sunday. :bluduh lol3.gif
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2014
    Great job JC! #3, #4, #5 and #6clap.giflust

Do not regret not being at convict lake in the morning......while lake shot is nice and top of the peak turns red, aspens are all in the shadows, so it would be beautiful but would be hard to keep it "fall" theme.

Last 2 shots are just gorgeous as well!bowdown.gif
    edited October 26, 2014
    As purist you may not want to clone out the electrical poles in the last shot and I totally respect that......but worth consideration. Cheers!
  • bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2014
    heel mooie reeks.
    dat hebben wij in Holland niet.
    grt,boco.
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2014
    merlinus wrote: »
    Great set! I miss those granite mountains...
    Thanks, one of the things that makes Convict Lake so gorgeous, is that in the AM when the light hits the face of Laurel Mountain and Mt. Morrison, you get an amazing view of the roof pendants the 'granite' intruded into.
    kdog wrote: »
    Ugh, you're killing me here. It's been a horrible fall for me work-wise, so such great photos are painful to see. I may take a special trip out to Convict Lake just to try to get an eagle shot like that. Thanks for ruining my Sunday. :bluduh lol3.gif
    This trip was a test for the m43 kit lenses I have. I've been shooting a lot with my E-M5 with legacy lenses, which are just awesome for close up and portrait lengths. Watching the eagle, I really wished for my Canon and my 400mm lens, even if the m43 zoom I was using is supposed to be 600mm equivalent. The lake is pretty big though, so 400mm might be a bit short, but autofocus lags a bit on the E-M5. I could just imagine capturing the Eagle in the AM with the sun behind me and Laurel mt. in the sun.

Stumblebum wrote: »
    Great job JC! #3, #4, #5 and #6clap.giflust

Do not regret not being at convict lake in the morning......while lake shot is nice and top of the peak turns red, aspens are all in the shadows, so it would be beautiful but would be hard to keep it "fall" theme.

Last 2 shots are just gorgeous as well!bowdown.gif

Thanks, AM shots would give me sunlight full on the face of Laurel Mt. though, especially in the fall/winter with the sun more southerly. (as per above)
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    As purist you may not want to clone out the electrical poles in the last shot and I totally respect that......but worth consideration. Cheers!
    I started cloning out the wires in the 'rain' shot, but it was too much of a hassle in front of the columnar basalt. I kind of like the towers in the semi-lenticular shot, it provides a bit of contrast to the natural scene, sort of a twist on a Van Gogh theme.
    boco wrote: »
    heel mooie reeks.
    dat hebben wij in Holland niet.
    grt,boco.

thanks, (northern) Europe is definitely provides a different sort of photographic experience. I'll be there next year, I'm planning on working on my IR techniques, with all the greenery you all have.
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2014
    Holy Cow!!! you actually got a shot of a Federation Class Star-Cruiser in that last image!!! Those are some sweet clouds!
    Lee Wiren
    edited November 2, 2014
    Wiren wrote: »
    Holy Cow!!! you actually got a shot of a Federation Class Star-Cruiser in that last image!!! Those are some sweet clouds!

Wow Lee! Got some eye! How did other Trek fans miss it??? We don't even have to stretch our imagination....it looks like replica of Starship Enterprise!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited November 3, 2014
    Beautiful! I love the Eastern Sierra at this time of the year.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2014
    Wiren wrote: »

Well, Voyager has been known to land just north of there, IIRC, I don't believe the Enterprise ever did.

:D
  • EvanThomasEvanThomas Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited November 15, 2014