Publish to Facebook - Beta 2. Now with Pages!

Comments

• jamieratjamierat Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2012
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2012
    jamierat wrote: »

FWIW SmugMug isn't alone here. I saw numerous pages of which I'm a fan, putting dozens of photos on my wall :( Ugh.
    edited May 25, 2012
    They just switched it to "High Priority" So hopefully it won't be long now...
  • sibei bochapsibei bochap Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 29, 2012
    FB Image Size
    Hi, could i check if you guys have would be increasing the size of the image which we could publish to FB from our smugmug galleries (i.e. increase beyond XL) as FB has upgraded their maximum image size to beyond XL?? would be great if we could do so (or if we could already do so, pray tell.. haha)!

Thanks!
  • sibei bochapsibei bochap Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2012
    err, bump? no reply?
  • kbroderickkbroderick Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    They just switched it to "High Priority" So hopefully it won't be long now...

It's still "high priority" but no further updates and the broken behavior continues.

I'm assuming there's no way to work around this from the SmugMug end?
  • MSkaffariMSkaffari Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    Hi, could i check if you guys have would be increasing the size of the image which we could publish to FB from our smugmug galleries (i.e. increase beyond XL) as FB has upgraded their maximum image size to beyond XL?? would be great if we could do so (or if we could already do so, pray tell.. haha)!

Thanks!

We are looking into this. I can't give you a date when this might be implemented.
    edited June 6, 2012
    kbroderick wrote: »
    It's still "high priority" but no further updates and the broken behavior continues.

I'm assuming there's no way to work around this from the SmugMug end?

Unfortunately this is something we have no control over. I wish we did.
  • kbroderickkbroderick Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    MSkaffari wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is something we have no control over. I wish we did.

If it was possible to schedule an album publishing (at, say, 3:00 a.m.), it would mitigate this somewhat (and be generally useful for timed releases of information). I'd love to see that in the future features list if possible.

Thanks.
    edited June 6, 2012
    kbroderick wrote: »
    If it was possible to schedule an album publishing (at, say, 3:00 a.m.), it would mitigate this somewhat (and be generally useful for timed releases of information). I'd love to see that in the future features list if possible.

Thanks.

The publishing works on a queue, that's why sometimes it takes a while to get to publishing your photos. Depending on the number of users trying to publish the delay varies. It's hard to (accurately) set a time when publishing happens. We'll put this into the list of feature requests tho.
  • KentFrostKentFrost Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2012
    Interesting, we fix one issue with this feature (the non-tagging issue whose solution was 3 months in the making) in favor of another one..... the spamming of my photos as SmugMug's feature transfers the photos to the album.

Yes, the tagging issue has been fixed (so far as I can tell), but now I've got fans telling me off on my page's wall because the SmugMug FB posting feature litters the newsfeeds of all my fans, photo by photo by photo.

Temporary fix: I've begun unpublishing my page while the photos transfer over so I don't annoy my fans.

Not digging these issues guys. This is probably one of the more important features to me, and it's beginning to turn into a potential reason I end up leaving SmugMug as a customer.

EDIT:

Just read the last couple pages of this thread and I see I'm not alone here, and I now understand that this is an issue on the FB side (which doesn't really make it any more acceptable, TBH).
    Any updates?
    "Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew, without even thinking about it." ~Alan Watts

www.kentfrostphoto.com
  • adobewerkadobewerk Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 13, 2012
    Forgive me if this is the wrong place.. but i have a serious BUG to report for this beta module: I have had a unfortunate thing happen with the smugmug facebook uploader beta tool.. . it has had a pretty negative impact on my marketing.

i can explain in detail.. but the end result was that the uploader posted over 170 images individually to all of my follower news feed.. pretty annoying the them if you can imagine and several people said they had to stop following my page. no bueno!

i wanted to report this in the least as it has potential to damage business

the details: I chose a gallery of 195 to upload... then realized i wanted to add a tag to the sell link.. so i waited for it to upload then deleted. then created a new album with slightly differnt name and uploaded again. then i realized that i made another error. I deleted again and created a 3rd album and uploaded. after 2 hours only 28 of the 195 uploaded. next day i uploaded the remaining 175 images into the existing album. then they posted individually on many peoples news feed.

I dont know if this is a smugmug error or facebook.. i am reporting to facebook as well.

I would like to know the root cause to avoid this happening again. I welcome any insight you can she on this. (this issue also reported to Facebook)
    edited June 13, 2012
    adobewerk wrote: »
    Forgive me if this is the wrong place.. but i have a serious BUG to report for this beta module: I have had a unfortunate thing happen with the smugmug facebook uploader beta tool.. . it has had a pretty negative impact on my marketing.

i can explain in detail.. but the end result was that the uploader posted over 170 images individually to all of my follower news feed.. pretty annoying the them if you can imagine and several people said they had to stop following my page. no bueno!

i wanted to report this in the least as it has potential to damage business

the details: I chose a gallery of 195 to upload... then realized i wanted to add a tag to the sell link.. so i waited for it to upload then deleted. then created a new album with slightly differnt name and uploaded again. then i realized that i made another error. I deleted again and created a 3rd album and uploaded. after 2 hours only 28 of the 195 uploaded. next day i uploaded the remaining 175 images into the existing album. then they posted individually on many peoples news feed.

I dont know if this is a smugmug error or facebook.. i am reporting to facebook as well.

I would like to know the root cause to avoid this happening again. I welcome any insight you can she on this. (this issue also reported to Facebook)

Yep, this is the same issue we've been talking about. It's unacceptable, as I've been losing fans because of it. As stated in my previous post above, the only temporary "fix" that I've used for this is to unpublish my page long enough to upload a whole new gallery of images via SmugMug. This is also unacceptable.
    "Your brain; the most complicated thing in the world, which you yourself grew, without even thinking about it." ~Alan Watts

www.kentfrostphoto.com
  • adobewerkadobewerk Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 13, 2012
    KentFrost wrote: »
    Yep, this is the same issue we've been talking about. It's unacceptable, as I've been losing fans because of it. As stated in my previous post above, the only temporary "fix" that I've used for this is to unpublish my page long enough to upload a whole new gallery of images via SmugMug. This is also unacceptable.

Kent, thank you for acknowledging. I have reported my issue to Facebook. This feature is very important to me.. heck.. its a game changer.. but after spamming 100's of my followers yesterday.. i wont be using it until they get it fixed.

much obliged,
    Ron
    edited June 13, 2012
    I would also like to mention that, although the feature seems to be working okay now (aside from the aforementioned photo/newsfeed spamming issue), I will periodically get an album that won't upload entirely. For example, I've been trying to upload an album that has 92 photos in it, but only 70 of them uploaded successfully. When I tried to continue the upload where it abruptly left off, nothing happens. I've waited here for over an hour now and it hasn't added anything for it. I've now deleted the whole album from my FB page and am trying to do it again....to no avail thus far. Is there any indicator or anything I can look at to check the status of the publishing to FB? Is there a CANCEL option once I've clicked "Publish To Facebook"? I feel like I have to just sit here and wait to see if it starts showing pics in the newsfeed, which is a bit ridiculous.

I just don't understand how there could be this many issues with this. The function seems like it should be pretty straight forward, but there are all these little glitches that don't make any sense.

www.kentfrostphoto.com
  • truviztruviz Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 14, 2012
    KentFrost wrote: »
    I just don't understand how there could be this many issues with this. The function seems like it should be pretty straight forward, but there are all these little glitches that don't make any sense.

As someone who has spent some time coding apps to work with the Facebook APIs, I can tell you that they are not pretty to work with. Add to that the buggy implementations, undocumented "features", network latency/timeout issues and shifting API interfaces and/or behavior.

There's a reason I didn't buy any facebook stock when they went IPO. rolleyes1.gif

The smugmug publish to facebook feature is still in beta. That means you should not depend on it being 100% working. Sounds like you have a fine workaround, for now.
    edited June 14, 2012
    truviz wrote: »
    The smugmug publish to facebook feature is still in beta. That means you should not depend on it being 100% working.

I suppose this is true. I will say, however, even only being in beta, as a previous poster has mentioned, it's already a game changer. It's hard not to rely on something that has such an impact.

www.kentfrostphoto.com
    edited June 14, 2012
    Also, how long after we tell SM to publish to FB should we go ahead and call it a failure? I've got a few different albums I'm trying to transfer over, and, yet again, I've been waiting here for over an hour for them to begin appearing on FB.

EDIT:

And of course, the moment I say that on here, they begin showing up.

www.kentfrostphoto.com
    edited June 15, 2012
    Post HERE to help get them on the ball to fix it!
    edited June 15, 2012
    Post HERE to help get them on the ball to fix it!

Do I have to be your friend on there or something? I'm not seeing an option to post or join or anything.

www.kentfrostphoto.com
    edited June 17, 2012
  • RedrockbalooRedrockbaloo Registered Users Posts: 11 Beginner grinner
    edited June 19, 2012
    Cannot Publish any longer on existing Albums on a page
    Until yesterday I was able to publish either to an existing album or create a new one on the fly - either on my main FB or on my photo page. Since this morning I can ONLY publish by creating a new album. Has anything changed - headscratch.gif

I use Chrome

https://www.facebook.com/AndreSpatzPhotography
    edited June 19, 2012
    Until yesterday I was able to publish either to an existing album or create a new one on the fly - either on my main FB or on my photo page. Since this morning I can ONLY publish by creating a new album. Has anything changed - headscratch.gif

I use Chrome

https://www.facebook.com/AndreSpatzPhotography

I see the same functionality. Investigating.
  • jtrefjtref Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2012
    yep, same problem here.
  • spinner903spinner903 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2012
    same problem
    I'm experiencing the same issue with "new albums". I post pictures on an almost daily basis to Facebook, but often use albums that have already been created. If you need help with the Facebook API, just let me know.

-Ryan
  • dsdeedsdee Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    Facebook Publish -- Choosing destination folder
    I hate to do a "me too", but I'm stuck in the same boat -- the only option under both my personal side and my "Page" side is to "create a new gallery" with none of my existing galleries listed.... any movement on this issue?

Thanks!
  • pulsmanpulsman Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2012
    Same problem for me since yesterday.
  • ozanozdilozanozdil Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2012
    same problem here.
  • phil2phil2 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2012
    Ok so the Facebook developers page has not indicated a fix yet, but I'm noticing other people saying they are posting to a new album. Are you saying that the recent issue of blasting the news feed of users for each individual photo in an album is now fixed??

I'm seeing that Andre Spatz Photography is posting recent pics at:
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.386464518078471.87124.350391425019114&type=1
    which have smugmug shorted linked, so it leads me to believe something has been fixed???

Thanks!
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2012
    Please see Miikka's reply - it's being investigated. Thanks for your patience.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero