Options

Muon Magnet Ring on the Move

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
edited July 29, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
On Thursday, July 25th, the massive Muon g-2 magnet ring was moved through my town in Illinois on its way to FermiLab, about 10 miles farther west. The magnet spent most of thursday parked in the Hidden Lake Forest Preserve lot, across from Walmart. FermiLab employees and interns had set up a display and were on hand to answer questions about the project.

The ring, 50 feet across and weighing in at over 250 tons with its transport support rigging, was on a journey from Brookhaven Lab in New York.

Curious onlookers talk with FermiLab staff with the ring in the background.
i-XvpZctX-L.jpg

Moving only at night, and on closed highways, IDOT employees removing any interfering signage along the three day route to FermiLab.
i-GVP7XDr-L.jpg

At 11:20pm, the magnet passes the Morton Arboretum in Lisle at about 5 miles per hour. A small crowd was on hand to cheer it on its way.
i-hLG7mJX-L.jpg
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2013
    last one could be a little darker. I am not sure the flash is helping.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited July 27, 2013
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    last one could be a little darker. I am not sure the flash is helping.

Thanks for the helpful input. This version is processed a tad darker. The use of on-cam flash did some good, as I was at ISO 12,800 and the flash syncing to 160th kept the ISO down to 5,000, so this could have ended up a noisier mess.

Better? Not?
    i-56LSTqM-L.jpg

I had not figured that much of the shrink wrap would have been reflective. And in retrospect, that makes total sense since they moved this behemoth only in the dark. With the excitement, and the short 30 seconds any of us had, there wasn't much I could do to change my pre-selected settings. If I had another night's shooting on this, I would have drastically turned down the flash to still keep some of the rig below in the exposure. But alas, this was a one time happening. Either way, I was very glad I could be part of this.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2013
    Cool opportunity to witness this in your own town... This event was in the national media
    and drew (almost) Rock Star attention is many towns... kinda' unexpected for an obscure research tool.
    Although, I think the Large Hadron Collider and the search for the Higgs Boson has raised general
    awareness/interest about particle physics research. Thanks for sharing!
    Eric ~ Smugmug