Options

Still Lives with Oreos

chaseltonchaselton Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited July 30, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
I've got limited equipment, budget, time, and subjects, so my focus since I started photography has been on finding ways to shoot ordinary objects so they look anything but while I wait for the European wasps to return.

I did a shoot with Oreos and cream a while ago (after 1%, 2% and whole milk wouldn't cut it)

_DSC4928-M.jpg

DSC_2618-M.jpg

DSC_1985-M.jpg

If I ever win the lottery, the very first thing I'd get is a decent macro lens.
indefinite objects
anything can be amazing

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 27, 2013
    I think your use of cream is a good choice to provide contrast and texture. I think your basic compositions are lacking.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited July 28, 2013
    I'd love to see the cookie falling into a glass of milk :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2013
    Angelo wrote: »
    I think your use of cream is a good choice to provide contrast and texture. I think your basic compositions are lacking.

How so?

--sent from mobile
    indefinite objects
    anything can be amazing
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2013
    ian408 wrote: »
    I'd love to see the cookie falling into a glass of milk :D

Hmmmm...

Not sure that's possible given my setup but I can always try...:)

--sent from mobile
    indefinite objects
    anything can be amazing
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 30, 2013
    chaselton wrote: »
    How so?

--sent from mobile

Hi chase:

my thoughts....

#1 is very nice but I would've off-centered the aim a bit more than you did. While you seem to have attempted asymmetrical composition you're not off center enough.

#2 could be a great abstract "portrait" of the cookie but it rather looks accidental. I would compose so the top edge is not cut off. cropping part of the cookie out of the frame is fine, preferred even, but make a choice! Don't have multiple, minor crops. Another creative choice would be to come in even tighter, with "oreo" being almost the only thing in the frame with a bit of border and cream peaking through one side or under. Also, the cookie is rotated only about .5 degrees - either get it dead level or make the rotation angle significant!

#3 This just doesn't do anything. The mouth of the glass is too small, your catch light is prominent in the edge of the glass which is distracting.

If you have / had fast enough glass and a strobe I think Ian's suggestion is dead-on - catch the cookie falling into the milk creating a splash.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    Hi chase:

my thoughts....

#1 is very nice but I would've off-centered the aim a bit more than you did. While you seem to have attempted asymmetrical composition you're not off center enough.

Noted.
    #2 could be a great abstract "portrait" of the cookie but it rather looks accidental. I would compose so the top edge is not cut off. cropping part of the cookie out of the frame is fine, preferred even, but make a choice! Don't have multiple, minor crops. Another creative choice would be to come in even tighter, with "oreo" being almost the only thing in the frame with a bit of border and cream peaking through one side or under. Also, the cookie is rotated only about .5 degrees - either get it dead level or make the rotation angle significant!

Noted. FYI: I was more focused on the pattern of the milk than the rotation. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by multiple, minor crops...any crops I make are carefully chosen.
    #3 This just doesn't do anything. The mouth of the glass is too small, your catch light is prominent in the edge of the glass which is distracting.

Noted.
    If you have / had fast enough glass and a strobe I think Ian's suggestion is dead-on - catch the cookie falling into the milk creating a splash.

Nope. As I mentioned in original post, I've limited budget/equipment.

I'll repost changes when I have a minute or two.
    indefinite objects
    anything can be amazing
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    I've managed to make recommended changes to photos 1 and 2 as per comments:

_DSC4928b-M.jpg

DSC_2618b-M.jpg

Let me know if the above is what you had in mind.
    indefinite objects
    anything can be amazing