http://digitalgrinphotography.blogspot.com/ reproducing dgrin content

124»

Comments

• e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2015
    Even so, customer support staff should stick to customer issues. This individual even stated that Google had placed my images inside their ad (not an accusation, nor one that any combination of words in my emails could have meant. Macro advertising domestic hardware? I would pay to see that!).

Harold
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited February 6, 2015
    e6filmuser wrote: »
    ... This individual even stated that Google had placed my images inside their ad (not an accusation, nor one that any combination of words in my emails could have meant. Macro advertising domestic hardware? I would pay to see that!).

Harold

You pics inside their ad? Just think of the compensation you could get from that? You could buy up half of a third world nation with the right lawyer.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited February 6, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    You pics inside their ad? Just think of the compensation you could get from that? You could buy up half of a third world nation with the right lawyer.

You got that wrong. It would have to be choice between the nation and the lawyer. :D

Harold
    edited February 6, 2015
    Well yeah, if you're going to play hard ball, go for it. Good for you. Let us know how it all works out, and then invite us all there for a shooting vacation.
    My Smugmug
    edited February 7, 2015
    I recently suggested that, to avoid getting, potentially hundreds of, removal requests from our members, that Google should put the blog out of action. Yesterday, with the rogue blog still up and running, I submitted about 40 removal requests. Not 40 on one pro forma, 40 separate ones. With any luck, that should get the attention of quite a few removal agents at Google. :ivar

The main issue here is that, having taken down the previous blog, all that content is still online with the new copying.

Harold
    edited February 7, 2015
    Thank you for doing all that hard work. Let's all hope it helps to kill the beast.
    My Smugmug
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2015
    I recently suggested that, to avoid getting, potentially hundreds of, removal requests from our members, that Google should put the blog out of action. Yesterday, with the rogue blog still up and running, I submitted about 40 removal requests. Not 40 on one pro forma, 40 separate ones. With any luck, that should get the attention of quite a few removal agents at Google. :ivar

The main issue here is that, having taken down the previous blog, all that content is still online with the new copying.

Harold

Yes.......thank you for your work. Much appreciated.

Sam
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited February 8, 2015

Harold
    Harold,
    Thanks for all the hard work thumb.gif. The more people submitting complaints, the sooner Google will respond.

A couple of updates on the ABC problem: We are now pretty sure that he was using RSS to harvest Dgrin content. We turned our feeds off and there have been no new posts appearing on ABC since then. This does not affect posts that were already present on ABC. It also does not prevent ABC or other rogue sites from using other methods of pirating content, so there's no guarantee that the piracy won't resume. SmugMug is planning on making a change soon that will enable its customers to share stuff on Dgrin without permitting it to be linked to from other sites. You will need to change your gallery settings in your SM account to put this into effect, but once you do, even the old ABC content should disappear there. You will have to think carefully about how to use this--I have some stuff that is legitimately appearing on sites besides SM and Dgrin, and I don't want it to disappear from those sites.
    edited February 15, 2015
    Another update: Nothing new has appeared on ABC since we shut down the RSS feed. However, Google has not taken down any of the pics I complained about. One change I did notice, though, is that the site is no longer running ads, at least on the pages I viewed.

I looked in a little more detail, and this one seems to have grabbed less from Dgrin than the previous Blogspot pirate. Although the sidebar makes it appear that the earliest posts are from 2013, the posts for that year were actually stolen from another site, apparently a computer hardware forum. It looks like there's nothing from Dgrin until September, 2014, when systematic copying began.

I have now filed complaints for each of my posts. I hope you are all continuing to send complaints as well.
    edited February 15, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    Another update: Nothing new has appeared on ABC since we shut down the RSS feed. However, Google has not taken down any of the pics I complained about. One change I did notice, though, is that the site is no longer running ads, at least on the pages I viewed.

I looked in a little more detail, and this one seems to have grabbed less from Dgrin than the previous Blogspot pirate. Although the sidebar makes it appear that the earliest posts are from 2013, the posts for that year were actually stolen from another site, apparently a computer hardware forum. It looks like there's nothing from Dgrin until September, 2014, when systematic copying began.

I have now filed complaints for each of my posts. I hope you are all continuing to send complaints as well.

The Blog has been removed.

Harold
    edited February 16, 2015
    The Blog has been removed.
    Harold

No - still there, with dgrinner's photos intact.

I am also seeing ads, including some advanced animated banner types.

i-jKXBCnX-L.gif
    My Smugmug
    edited February 16, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    No - still there, with dgrinner's photos intact.

I am also seeing ads, including some advanced animated banner types.

i-jKXBCnX-L.gif

My mistake. I missed that the old blog was quoted in a recent reply.

Harold
    edited February 16, 2015
    My mistake. I missed that the old blog was quoted in a recent reply.

Harold

Who is that handsome guy?

Sam
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 17, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Who is that handsome guy?

Sam
    rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 20, 2015
    Vision Moble back up
    Looks like the site is back up????

Sam
    edited February 20, 2015
    AFAIK, it was never taken down. rolleyes1.gif It isn't harvesting any new content, but Google has yet to remove any of the posts I've complained about.
    edited February 20, 2015
    I just sent them this:

I am getting really tired of trying to explain a really simple issue. Please note my real name and contact info is at the bottom of this email should you take exception to any of my comments.

Google is a large successful company that pays it's employees a good wage with excellent working conditions . I assume from this that whoever receives this can actually READ.

Please look up all your internal notes with regard to this blogger. This site has been shut down 2 or 3 times and keeps popping back up. I can see this, why can't you?

To reiterate the issue: Digital Grin http://www.dgrin.com/index.php is a forum for photographers. Vision Mobile is a blog site that automatically snatches / takes / unlawfully copies and re posts images and comments made by Digital Grin forum members to their blog site. I am guessing that they receive some type of reverberation every time someone clicks on their site there by gaining monetary value based on copyright infringement.

I and many other Digital Grin forum member have sent you numerous complaints. It seems that each time Vision Mobile pops back up you start all over again requiring many complaints before taking any action.

You have all the facts and ability to stop this. Should you choose not to stop these continued copyright violations I can only assume you are a willing participant and are consciously adding and abetting this.

I look forward to your response regarding this issue.
    edited February 20, 2015
    Sam and everyone else: Please remember to include the "x" in the name of the site when communicating with the Overlords. Visionmobile appears to be a legitimate site; visionxmobile is the bad guy, and is probably exploiting visionmobile as well as us.
    edited February 20, 2015
    Thanks Richard!!!!

I updated my email to Google:

I have updated this email to clarify the offender is visionxmobile. Vision Mobile is a legitimate company.

Unfortunately when viewing the offending site while the url contains visionxmobile, the text on says Vision Mobile.

The following is the original post. Just because I am guilty of not reading doesn't get you off the hook.

I am getting really tired of trying to explain a really simple issue. Please note my real name and contact info is at the bottom of this email should you take exception to any of my comments.

Google is a large successful company that pays it's employees a good wage with excellent working conditions . I assume from this that whoever receives this can actually READ.

Please look up all your internal notes with regard to this blogger. This site has been shut down 2 or 3 times and keeps popping back up. I can see this, why can't you?

To reiterate the issue: Digital Grin http://www.dgrin.com/index.php is a forum for photographers. Vision X Mobile is a blog site that automatically snatches / takes / unlawfully copies and re posts images and comments made by Digital Grin forum members to their blog site. I am guessing that they receive some type of reverberation every time someone clicks on their site there by gaining monetary value based on copyright infringement.

I and many other Digital Grin forum member have sent you numerous complaints. It seems that each time Vision X Mobile pops back up you start all over again requiring many complaints before taking any action.

You have all the facts and ability to stop this. Should you choose not to stop these continued copyright violations I can only assume you are a willing participant and are consciously adding and abetting this.

I look forward to your response regarding this issue.
    edited February 24, 2015
    They are now starting to remove my images. The one I checked was gone but others remain. I will monitor progress.

Harold
    edited February 24, 2015
    They are now starting to remove my images. The one I checked was gone but others remain. I will monitor progress.

Harold

It seems that they are not bright enough to figure it out. The real issue is the site and those running it not any one particular image.

Or maybe I should say the real issue is Google.

Sam
  • Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2015
    I was going to say that this is ridiculous and ask what they had to gain but then I noticed I had Adblocker on and it had blocked several ads... seems they are using stolen content and hoping for ad clicks... :(
    edited February 26, 2015
    The blog has been removed.

Another one bites the dust... clap.gif
    edited February 26, 2015
    The blog has been removed.

Another one bites the dust... clap.gif

For now, but how long until it rises from the dead? Is Google smart enough to stop it from reappearing over and over?

I hope so.

Sam
    edited February 26, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    For now, but how long until it rises from the dead? Is Google smart enough to stop it from reappearing over and over?

I hope so.

Sam
    I wouldn't count on it. It's easy to invent new online identities, especially for those well-versed in Internet scams. At least we know that disabling RSS broke the scheme that ABC was using. Chances are, he will just move on to another site that is still using it. Nevertheless, other forms of attack are always a possibility.

The best defense is to keep an eye on your own referrer stats, which is how Dgrinners have discovered the ones to date. Then let us all know. deal.gif
    edited February 26, 2015
    The best defense is to keep an eye on your own referrer stats, which is how Dgrinners have discovered the ones to date. Then let us all know. deal.gif

+1. I have found several (~ four?) content thieves this way. Check your referrer stats often!
    My Smugmug