Is your custom domain busted?

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited January 24, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Hi folks, a while back when we added Akamai for speed boost, we announced to you with custom domains that improperly configured domains may cease to work or show issues in the future.

Welcome to 'the future'!

But NO WORRIES, if you've got site nav issues due to your domain not being set up right, we can help, and really fast!

If your domain is being used to point at another site that is not hosted by SmugMug, stop. Do not make the changes below. All that needs to be done is to remove the custom domain from your SmugMug control panel. That should correct the problem. If your domain is supposed to point at SmugMug, proceed with the steps below.

We have more information on the correct domain setups here:
http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts

In a nutshell, to set up the CNAME correctly you need the following:
1. for the www host point a CNAME record to domains.smugmug.com
2. also add or change an A record to 208.79.45.23 if you want people to be able to
access your site without www. Some domains allow you to use an @ sign
for the host to indicate that it is empty. Check the help at your
domain host to see what they recommend.

If you use subdomain.yourdomain.com instead of www.yourdomain.com ,
point the subdomain with a CNAME record to domains.smugmug.com and don't
add an A record as it isn't needed.

Do not use your full domain in the CNAME unless the domain host tells
you to. If you do, you will end up with
www.yourdomain.com.yourdomain.com or something similar.

Do not put in the yournickname.smugmug.com address as the destination no
matter how tempting that may be. Do not use forwarding or redirects
either. None of these will work correctly.

records if there are any for your site. It will take 24-48 hours for
the changes to propagate around the internet.

If you have not already done so, go to your SmugMug control panel and
enter the custom domain on the settings tab. That is all there is too
it. If you have problems, please let me know.

If you are stuck, write our Support Heroes ATTN: Doc/Nick in the subject line and send us your domain host UserID and set the password
to something temporary like SmugTemp123. We will log in and make the
changes or check the settings for you. When we are done you can reset the
password.

1. the name of your domain registrar
2. login name to your domain
3. change the password for your domain to smugtemp{insert_4_random_digits}

Once we have made the changes, we will let you know so that you could
change your password back.

Questions? We're here for you :ear

Comments

• S-ManS-Man Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    *sigh*
    GoDaddy changed their menu layout. The 'tutorial' of setting things up is not valid anymore I think. I can't find "Total DNS controls and MX records"...
    I also believe this is like the second or third time I've had to change these things. My galleries are getting a
    Not Found

The requested URL /gallery/Gallery/8993926_qZzRE was not found on this server.
    Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server at www.slickpix.net Port 80

:cry
    Sam
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    S-Man wrote:
    *sigh*
    GoDaddy changed their menu layout. The 'tutorial' of setting things up is not valid anymore I think. I can't find "Total DNS controls and MX records"...
    I also believe this is like the second or third time I've had to change these things. My galleries are getting a
    Not Found

The requested URL /gallery/Gallery/8993926_qZzRE was not found on this server.
    Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server at www.slickpix.net Port 80

:cry

manage domains
    click on the domain
    click 'total dns control'

write our Support Heroes ATTN: Doc or Nick if you want us to do it for ya in 90seconds :) It's super easy for us to do it.
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 24, 2009
    Yep, my tutorial is out of date. I just found that GoDaddy changed the layout this weekend. Sorry about that. I have not had a chance to update it. The settings and stuff are the same. They just added a bunch of junk that confuses the layout of the first few pages. Do you really need a video on every page? I will get them updated as soon as I can. Sorry for the trouble.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • S-ManS-Man Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    No problem guys. I think I got it taken care of. I don't know if it was causing it, but my "custom domain name" on my smugmug was still set up even though the same address directs people to my flash site.
    I deleted the address in the space and now the galleries are accessable.
    My GoDaddy is set up for my flash website too so we're all good so far.nod.gif

edit: Hey Doc, your ellistonfd.smugmug.com link directs me to the same error in my first post above...
    Sam
    edited August 27, 2009
    Yep, I have been too lazy to fix it and actually using it to test with. thumb.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • ChrisIsaacAllenChrisIsaacAllen Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Standard Account Issues with Old Domain Setting
    I have both a pro account and a standard account, both of which have/had the issue with the domain setting.

I went into my pro account control panel and removed the declared domain, which worked beautifully. I tried to do the same thing in my standard account with no luck because I don't see the place to delete it like I can in my pro account control panel.

A little over a year ago I changed Nicknames, but I don't know if that's causing any issues.

Current Account URL: www.thehilgendorfs.smugmug.com
    Old Account URL: www.newleafphotography.smugmug.com
    Old Redirect Setting: www.newleafphotography.com

Any ideas?

Chris Hilgendorf
    edited August 28, 2009
    I have both a pro account and a standard account, both of which have/had the issue with the domain setting.

I went into my pro account control panel and removed the declared domain, which worked beautifully. I tried to do the same thing in my standard account with no luck because I don't see the place to delete it like I can in my pro account control panel.

A little over a year ago I changed Nicknames, but I don't know if that's causing any issues.

Current Account URL: www.thehilgendorfs.smugmug.com
    Old Account URL: www.newleafphotography.smugmug.com
    Old Redirect Setting: www.newleafphotography.com

Any ideas?

Chris Hilgendorf
    Chris, I fixed up your standard account. deal.gif
  • ChrisIsaacAllenChrisIsaacAllen Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Chris, I fixed up your standard account. deal.gif

Working great. Much appreciated. Thanks Andy!!
  • shinjieva2007shinjieva2007 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    omg .. i almost had a heart attack when i went to my website today and everything dissapeared... i thought my website was hacked.... gonna try out mod's suggestion and hopefully everything works out. thanks for the heads up

edit: okay i have no idea what i'm supposed to do lol
    if somebody can help me that would be great
    www.ah87studios.com
    http://ah87studios.smugmug.com

edit: everything seems to work fine now ... hmmm
  • agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hi folks, a while back when we added Akamai for speed boost, we announced to you with custom domains that improperly configured domains may cease to work or show issues in the future.

Welcome to 'the future'!

But NO WORRIES, if you've got site nav issues due to your domain not being set up right, we can help, and really fast!

If your domain is being used ...ear.gif
    Great refresher, Andy, as I'm getting ready to switch SM over to a subdomain in GoDaddy soon to allow addition of blog, storefront, etc.... more site flexibility. Thanks.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • CWNCWN Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2009
    I am not using Smugmug to host my website, I AM however, pointing to different galleries at Smugmug using a redirect and now nothing works and my clients can't get into my galleries and neither can I. I cannot figure out what to fix. Please help

For example:

www.cwnphotography.com/LT

redirects to:

http://cwnphotography.smugmug.com/LT

which works fine, but when folks try to click on the gallery there they get taken to an error page.

Please help in English eek7.gif
    edited August 31, 2009
    CWN wrote:
    Please help in English eek7.gif
    You had www.cwnphotography.com in your SmugMug control panel, I removed it and all is well.

:D
  • CWNCWN Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited August 31, 2009
    Thank you very much!
  • misterproppermisterpropper Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 4, 2009
    Hello,
    is it possible that the user can later see not only the domain name at the beginning? If I select a gallery then my domain name changes to smugmug/gallery/... - ?

Second I want to please to change your data security. If somebody is searching for a member and there is a hit everybody can see how many galleries and photo the user has. I do not want that somebody knows how many photos and galleries I have and so I want to please to change this. I think this is a private information, thank you.
    edited September 4, 2009
    Hello,
    is it possible that the user can later see not only the domain name at the beginning? If I select a gallery then my domain name changes to smugmug/gallery/... - ?

Second I want to please to change your data security. If somebody is searching for a member and there is a hit everybody can see how many galleries and photo the user has. I do not want that somebody knows how many photos and galleries I have and so I want to please to change this. I think this is a private information, thank you.
    Hi, can we please have a link to your website so we can help you :D
    edited September 4, 2009
    naturally
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, can we please have a link to your website so we can help you :D

www.mimamedia.de

if you click on nature there is

http://www.mimamedia.de/Nature

if you click on the gallery flowers then the url changes to

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/9363231_znMaL
    edited September 4, 2009
    www.mimamedia.de

if you click on nature there is

http://www.mimamedia.de/Nature

if you click on the gallery flowers then the url changes to

Not a custom domain issue - it's because you have set this gallery to 'hide owner' which means we hide you :D

tools>customize gallery to change it back thumb.gif
    edited September 4, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Not a custom domain issue - it's because you have set this gallery to 'hide owner' which means we hide you :D

tools>customize gallery to change it back thumb.gif

thank you for the solution to the first point, greatclap.gif
    edited September 5, 2009
    thank you for the solution to the first point, greatclap.gif

Hello,
    I would be very happy for a solution refering your data security. It has no sense to make unlisted galleries if anybody can use the search-function and then sees all the user datas i.e. how many galleries including the unlisted and the number of photos.

greetings to you
    edited September 5, 2009
    Hello,
    I would be very happy for a solution refering your data security. It has no sense to make unlisted galleries if anybody can use the search-function and then sees all the user datas i.e. how many galleries including the unlisted and the number of photos.

greetings to you
    Hi, set SmugIslands settings, hello smuggers = no :D
    http://smugmug.com/help/private-search-island
  • gadams999gadams999 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    I'm glad I came across this sticky, I still had the old CNAME pointing www.smugmug.com. However, in trying to get the Facebook integration to work, I tried going from my URL, prints.baah.net, to the baah.smugmug.com. I can navigate all the way to a gallery listing, but selecting a gallery does a redirect to the prints.baah.net/NN/galleryID.

Anywhere I can figure out why this is happening?
    edited September 8, 2009
    The redirect is normal and how we are doing things now. Customers wanted to use their custom domain more than the yournickname.smugmug.com

This has the advantage of boosting you google ranking etc for the custom domain.

The downside is that Facebook does not like custom domains when connecting like that. We are working to get it fixed.

If you have trouble with the custom domain not working in general, please let me know. I will be happy to help get it fixed. thumb.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • gadams999gadams999 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited September 8, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    The redirect is normal and how we are doing things now. Customers wanted to use their custom domain more than the yournickname.smugmug.com

This has the advantage of boosting you google ranking etc for the custom domain.

The downside is that Facebook does not like custom domains when connecting like that. We are working to get it fixed.

If you have trouble with the custom domain not working in general, please let me know. I will be happy to help get it fixed. thumb.gif

Thanks Doc. I can live without the FB integration right now, the nice name entries are very nice. I'll look for alternatives until you help FB get it sorted.

Custom domain working AOK! :)
    edited September 11, 2009
    Check out the Facebook and other Be Social stuff now. :-)
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • gphotomomgphotomom Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    May I use a domain that I am already using for other tasks? I own grazierphoto.com and it's sort of a catchall hosting site for images & slideshows and other stuff. Is there a way I can also use a version of this domain for my smugmug custom domain name? i.e.

grazierphoto.com/proofing

or

proofing.grazierphoto.com

???

Thank you,

Enna
    edited September 16, 2009
    gphotomom wrote:
    proofing.grazierphoto.com

nod.gif
  • Paul DunlopPaul Dunlop Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 2, 2009
    I made the CNAME update on my registrar - but when I try to set the Custom Host Name in Smug Mug, it gives me an error of

"That hostname doesn't resolve to SmugMug. See our help section on "
    I was typing - www.pauldunlopphotography.ca
    Is there are time issue on when I can set this up?
    edited October 3, 2009
    I made the CNAME update on my registrar - but when I try to set the Custom Host Name in Smug Mug, it gives me an error of

"That hostname doesn't resolve to SmugMug. See our help section on "
    I was typing - www.pauldunlopphotography.ca
    Is there are time issue on when I can set this up?
    some hosts take 24-48 hours to propagate the CNAME... wait that much, then if still fails, email our heroes, ATTN: Doc, and we'll sort you out thumb.gif
  • Paul DunlopPaul Dunlop Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    some hosts take 24-48 hours to propagate the CNAME... wait that much, then if still fails, email our heroes, ATTN: Doc, and we'll sort you out thumb.gif

All good - thanks

Just a little patience was needed
  • envylightenvylight Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Hi I just fixed my domain from an other company ichaned the cname so it looks to the corect way. i put also the domain in my control panel but now i just lost the photos of my galleries.

Do i have to wait 24-48 as the web site says or is something wrong?

Thank you