Options

Wild Coast

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited September 11, 2014 in Wildlife
Got couple of new critters that I hadn't gotten previously. Found an Otter which decided that water was too limiting and thus land would be worth exploring.....all helpful pointers and criticism is cherished!!

1)

IMG_7143-X3.jpg

2)

IMG_7157-X3.jpg

3)
IMG_7213-X3.jpg

4)

IMG_7235-X3.jpg

5)

IMG_7238-X3.jpg

6)

IMG_7291-X3.jpg

7)

IMG_7354-X3.jpg

8)

IMG_7355-X3.jpg

9)

IMG_7365-X3.jpg

10)

1W7A6910-X3.jpg

11)

1W7A6920-X3.jpg

12)

1W7A6939-X3.jpg

13)

1W7A6937-X3.jpg

14)

1W7A6936-X3.jpg

15)

1W7A6946-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2014
    Very nice set. That's one well feed otter. I'm not a big fan of b&w with birds but I really like the first shot of the pelicans. I also like the shot of the black and white seals. Pretty job on the exposure of the Murre, the whites are a little hot, not sure if you could pull back on the highlights any to get more detail. That's a tough bird to expose well.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2014
    Many very nice shots. 6, 8 and 13 are my favorites. 6 and 8 because of the lighting, reflection, lines (especially 6) of the subjects and lines in the water. 13 - the pose, although lighting seems are little harsh.

That looked like a fun outing!.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2014
    Hunter58 wrote: »
    Very nice set. That's one well feed otter. I'm not a big fan of b&w with birds but I really like the first shot of the pelicans. I also like the shot of the black and white seals. Pretty job on the exposure of the Murre, the whites are a little hot, not sure if you could pull back on the highlights any to get more detail. That's a tough bird to expose well.

Thanks Hunter! I re-worked the Murre shots and did localized pull back and think it brought out more details and balanced it out bit more! Thanks again brother!

You may have to reload to see the effect...or cache will show older shots.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2014
    Many very nice shots. 6, 8 and 13 are my favorites. 6 and 8 because of the lighting, reflection, lines (especially 6) of the subjects and lines in the water. 13 - the pose, although lighting seems are little harsh.

That looked like a fun outing!.

Phil

Thanks Phil! Much appreciated! Lightning should not have been harsh as it was the last golden rays of the sun and this guy decided to walk out and gave me a gift. I think I got all caught up in trying to highlight the golden light. I have tried to mellow it down considerably. Hope the re-work above is better. Thanks again for all your comments and feedback as always! Cheers!

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks Phil! Much appreciated! Lightning should not have been harsh as it was the last golden rays of the sun and this guy decided to walk out and gave me a gift. I think I got all caught up in trying to highlight the golden light. I have tried to mellow it down considerably. Hope the re-work above is better. Thanks again for all your comments and feedback as always! Cheers!

Based on my short term memory, 13 looks much better - a winner.
    Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2014

Yep I see the difference, nice job. I still smile when I see that otter, he came out of the water because he's too fat to swim! The otters around here are long and slender. I've never seen one that big.
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2014
    A great set of images; a very productive outing. I love the grumpy expression in #14, it's almost as if the otter is thinking "you point that thing at me one more time and I'll make you eat it"
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2014
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    A great set of images; a very productive outing. I love the grumpy expression in #14, it's almost as if the otter is thinking "you point that thing at me one more time and I'll make you eat it"

Thanks Roaddog! Can't beat luck....I was about to leave and Otter came out...the sun was in the clouds by then but got light for couple of minutes before it was gone again! Cheers!
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2014
    Thanks Roaddog! Can't beat luck....I was about to leave and Otter came out...the sun was in the clouds by then but got light for couple of minutes before it was gone again! Cheers!

"Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!" deal.gif
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 28, 2014
    Sooo jealous of those land-based otter shots!! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Sooo jealous of those land-based otter shots!! clap.gif

Thanks K-dog! I think the place to be is Moss Landing State Beach. Maybe they come back out again. I do want to spend more time in that general area to figure out where everything is at. Heard their is a cove where sharks swim to......Cheers!
  • Options
    IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2014
    Absolutely stunning set SB. Love those Otters, quite possibly the best Otter shots I've seen. Wonderful photography.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2014
    IPClark wrote: »
    Absolutely stunning set SB. Love those Otters, quite possibly the best Otter shots I've seen. Wonderful photography.

Woe! Got Ian to come to Wild-life forum! Yay!wings.gif Thanks man! I was there, and this guy decided to come out....and clouds let few rays of golden light escape for couple of minutes!
    Cheers mate!
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2014
    Otters thumb.gifthumb B&W Otter iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    Otters thumb.gifthumb B&W Otter iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif

Thanks Eric!! Every time I see otters, I think of your shot! Cheers!
  • Options
    IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2014
    Woe! Got Ian to come to Wild-life forum! Yay!wings.gif Thanks man! I was there, and this guy decided to come out....and clouds let few rays of golden light escape for couple of minutes!
    Cheers mate!

hehe you're welcome. You've complimented me often on my images. I'll be watching your wildlife shots more I think ;)
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2014
    More great stuff! You've been active and successful. The seal is fantastic but the otter is a real find.
    -Len
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2014
    More great stuff! You've been active and successful. The seal is fantastic but the otter is a real find.
    -Len

Thanks Len! Value your feedback greatly! Cheers!
  • Options
    wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2014
    Great set of shots. #2 is the favorite. thumb.gif
    Steve
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2014
    wtlwdwgn wrote: »
    Great set of shots. #2 is the favorite. thumb.gif

Thanks Steve! Much appreciated!