Login problems - can't save in easy customizer

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited February 10, 2011 in Bug Reporting
I'm officially reporting this as a bug because it's causing several customers serious grief.

When a customization logs into using the API, Smugmug somehow wipes out your current regular login and things like the control panel or the easy customizer will fail when you try to save your changes.

A classic example with real customers is here and here. The consequences are that they either lose their changes in the control panel or they can't make changes in easy customizer. It's particularly heinous in easy customizer because easy customizer automatically runs a copy of the homepage in an iframe and there's no way for the customer to prevent that. If the homepage has a customization on the homepage that uses the API, then the customer is just screwed.

I know this code is in place to provide some sort of security protection, but it is being overzealous, does not need to do what it's doing in this particular case and it clearly needs to be fixed. There is no security issue in this case. The customer's own computer and own site is logging in via the API. That should not clear their browser-based login and prevent changes from being saved in easy customizer or the control panel.
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 10, 2011
    Thanks John, I passed on your original report. We are working on it.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    docwalker wrote: »
    Thanks John, I passed on your original report. We are working on it.
    Just to let you know, I put in what I consider a gross hack into the slideshow to give the slideshow users some temporary relief so they can again use Easy Customizer. The hack is that I made it so that the slideshow detects that it's in the Easy Customizer preview window and doesn't run. That hack can be overridden with a slideshow option if you or anyone else is trying to reproduce this issue.

This is the same issue that also causes people who open more than one window on their site to lose data in their advanced customizations when it forces a relogin for the same reason.

In general the relogin is being triggered by API access to your account by yourself.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    This is the same issue that also causes people who open more than one window on their site to lose data in their advanced customizations when it forces a relogin for the same reason....
    I don't use EZC. Does this fix the multiple log-ins switching tabs/windows or
    even in the same window?

I opened my site homepage, logged in (footer) and in the same window went
    to control panel and was asked to log in. Duh, I just logged in.headscratch.gif
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    I don't use EZC. Does this fix the multiple log-ins switching tabs/windows or
    even in the same window?

I opened my site homepage, logged in (footer) and in the same window went
    to control panel and was asked to log in. Duh, I just logged in.headscratch.gif
    What you are experiencing is probably the same general issue. Smugmug is forcing a relogin quite frequently when a customization is using the API. If Smugmug fixes this general issue, then your issue would probably be fixed too. The change I made in the latest slideshow only affects the preview mode of easy customizer so it will have no effect on your usage.
    --John
    HomepagePopular