Options

Oregon Coast Milky Ways

EvanThomasEvanThomas Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited August 14, 2014 in Landscapes
Had a great trip to Oregon for this year's summer vacation. A different kind of photography experience for this desert rat. Thought I would share a few of the Milky Way photos. Played around with the ND filter during the day, but was so foggy, didn't get anything too hot :( Next time!

I included the captions I used on my Facebook page.

(1)

Wonderland

Wonderland-XL.jpg

Ever since getting into night-sky photography, I've always wanted to get a photo of the Milky Way over the Ocean. Living in a small desert town made this kind of difficult, but we finally got out to the Oregon coast a couple weeks ago. I love the Pacific Northwest coastal areas with their rocky cliffs covered in lush green foliage and pine trees. On one of our first days there we discovered this semi-secret little beach back in a little cove. There were numerous craggy islands dotted with trees a little ways out in the water adding to the ambiance. It was a different world for a couple of desert rats like us. We felt like we were in a wonderland!

25 second exposure, ISO 5000, f/2.8

(2)

Radiance

Radiance-XL.jpg

This photo (taken at Indian Sands just north of Brookings, OR) was only supposed to be a way to kill the time while we waited for the Milky Way to line up for the main shot we were really interested in. In the end, I may even like this one better. I think the timing probably worked out well for a single-shot like this. I took it just long enough after sunset for the Milky Way to appear pretty strong, but just early enough to leave enough ambient light to bring out the ocean. At least I think that's how it worked out! Not real familiar with taking night-time shots around the ocean. Either way, I was pretty happy with the way the lighting worked out. I love the rugged Pacific NW coastline, which you can kind of see in this photo too. The glow on the horizon is light pollution, most likely from Brookings. Bonus points for anybody who can find the "arch" in this photo. ;-)

25 second exposure, ISO 5000, f/2.8

(3)

The Gateway

Gateway-XL.jpg

This is my last photo from our recent trip to Oregon. We came across this arch during a nice hike at Indian Sands and I knew I had to come back and try getting a photo of the Milky Way here. Funky night for us though, with loud clanking noises high up in the trees while walking back in the dark, a possible ghost sighting and an almost UFO sighting, hehe. It didn't bother me standing there during the day, but this photo was taken near the edge of a cliff. Between the edge not being as visible at night and the waves pounding in the darkness below, I was a wee bit creeped out the whole time I was trying to grab this photo.

3min exposure foreground, 25 sec exposure background
f/2.8 ISO 4000

Comments

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2014
    A wonderful series of images! Love that first image. Very inspiring for me. I'll be retiring soon and spending some time getting to know the ins and outs of night sky photography. thumb.gifthumb
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2014
    Nice images - I like all three but I'm really liking the last one. Maybe it's the story that goes with it, but I'm getting a surreal feeling from it. Good job, and I know you worked hard to get these.
    -Len
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2014
    Evan these raise the previous standard also set by you! Wow! thumb.gifclap.gifbow
    Something to aspire towards! Thanks for sharing the EXIF data, saves me the trouble of asking!
    Gonna have to try now!
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 10, 2014
    Really excellent!
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2014
    Outstanding, Evan! Beautiful images - I like them all, but I think the second, with the water in the foreground, may be my favorite.
  • Options
    FiddlestixFiddlestix Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2014
    Great set of images! Number one really rocks. Really like how the Milky Way leads the eye to the island with the trees silhouetted against the night sky. Outstanding work! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Images from SE Asia - some like it HOT
    http://fiddlefoto.smugmug.com

Cheers!
    Stix
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited August 11, 2014
    Wow! Those first and third shots are amazing!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2014
    Wow! You won't see many (any?) better than this!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2014
    Thanks guys, really appreciate it, and glad you liked the photos!!
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2014
    Nice images - I like all three but I'm really liking the last one. Maybe it's the story that goes with it, but I'm getting a surreal feeling from it. Good job, and I know you worked hard to get these.
    -Len

Thanks Len! That one was giving us a surreal feeling too, but I also couldn't help but wonder if I was just projecting my feelings from the evening onto it.
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    A wonderful series of images! Love that first image. Very inspiring for me. I'll be retiring soon and spending some time getting to know the ins and outs of night sky photography. thumb.gifthumb

That's great roaddog52, it's definitely fun stuff! More free time helps too, if not to chase the night sky, at least to be able to catch up on sleep after some sleepless nights ;-)
  • Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2014
    Awesome series, the first is my favorite, just loving the deep blues and magenta.
    Thanks also for the exposure details, what was your go to lens for these if you don't mind?
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2014
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2014
    All of them are wonderful but the last one is very different! I can only imagine how gorgeous this would be hanging on anwall....in metal!
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2014
    Thanks again guys! ;-) mushy, I mainly use a Sigma 20mm f/1.8 prime lens. Pretty nice lens for the price.
  • Options
    eyeguyeyeguy Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2014
    Great Captures
    Thanks for the great captures and for including your settings. I have just started experimenting with night sky photography and have mixed results but seeing your settings helps. I will need to read up on how to and get more practise.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2014
    Great stuff!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site