hair and makeup video

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited February 19, 2011 in Video
My first attempt ever at shooting and editing a video. I was doing a photo shoot at the time, so I decided to do a quick video showing all the work my makeup artist does during a photo shoot.

http://petespringer.biz/fashion/hair-makeup/

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Nice job! Kudo's to Jessica and Tiffany both! Video is where it is at!

Nice work!
    tom wise
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Thanks, Tom. I still have a LOT to learn, but I'm happy with my first effort especially considering my editing software was imovie.

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    dogwood wrote: »
    Thanks, Tom. I still have a LOT to learn, but I'm happy with my first effort especially considering my editing software was imovie.

Well ya need to be! My first effort was nothing like yours at all! I had wanted to shoot a behind the scenes video of a boudoir shoot I did. I still have the footage and all very unusable mostly due to the ignorance of the Model I hired. She was very freaked out about the video! Didn't want to be "seen" without make-up on, etc...just totally stupid!

So yes, your effort was refreshing!
    tom wise
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    I really enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Well ya need to be! My first effort was nothing like yours at all! I had wanted to shoot a behind the scenes video of a boudoir shoot I did. I still have the footage and all very unusable mostly due to the ignorance of the Model I hired. She was very freaked out about the video! Didn't want to be "seen" without make-up on, etc...just totally stupid!

You know, the video tidal wave is hitting models in a similar way it's hitting photographers. We can kick and scream into the future but video is here to stay and not only that -- it may be the only thing we're shooting in the future (pulling stills from the video).

I've been as reluctant as your model to embrace video but I do want to survive and everything is pointing to the convergence of stills and motion. Thanks again for your comments.

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    Looks great, Pete!

My biggest gripe is the editing. Which makes sense, since that's what I do! :D

You need to pay more attention to the music as you're cutting. Some of your cuts are very close but just off of the downbeat. This is awkward. Not that every cut needs to be on the downbeat, but they need to feel right with the rhythm of the music. Think of the music as the backbone of your piece. It gives it structure, a form to hang your story on. Even in a hair and makeup video like this you're telling a story.

You picked a piece of music that is rather ethereal, but there is a tempo to it, there are downbeats. They're not marked by a drum kit or anything, but they are there. Try tapping your foot, your finger, standing up and allowing your body to feel the music, anything like that to get in tune with it, so that the cuts that are out of harmony with the music will stand out.

Walter Murch, one of the great editors and thinkers ever does all his cutting standing up, so that his body can feel the rhythm of the scene. This for scenes that don't have music, even. Editing is about story and rhythm. So, you don't have to stand up, but you do have to open your senses to it and pay attention.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 19, 2011
    Awesome video! Your MUA looks very young, and very good. nod.gif Great to watch her work, and your model is stunning.