Golden hour corn farm

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited September 2, 2014 in Landscapes
Greetings from central Maine!
SDIM0150.jpg
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 18, 2014
    Hard to believe this was taken with a P&S. Looks great. The sky tone seems to be off just a bit especially towards the right, almost like a turquoise. But that may be just an east coast versus west coast thing. Funny how the grain silo and puffy cloud over the trees makes it look like a power plant stack with steam billowing out.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2014
    Thanks. Not sure I'd call the Sigma DP2 Merrill a "p&s", but ok. Did you view the full size version?

I hadn't noticed the silo/cloud thing, that's funny. I can easily ignore it though.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 18, 2014
    Ok, P&S was probably not the best choice of words. "Compact", is the more correct term, as in a Leica or other small format camera. Yes, I looked at the full size. The details are really amazing. Depth of field is stunning for f/8. You could print this to billboard size. I should start paying more attention to this technology. nod.gif
    edited August 18, 2014
    Yeah, I'm glad to have this technology in my bag of tricks. You know it's APS-C, right? It's too bad Foveon isn't more mature, it's reportedly unusable above ISO 400. I haven't dared try more than 200 yet. Colors and especially skin tones get weird in less than good light, and in shadows. DR isn't spectacular, my 5D3 handily beats it. The Sigma converter, SPP, is a horrible dog of an application. I just use it to convert the raws to 16-bit TIFF, and then I process those as usual in Lightroom. It takes the camera about 15 seconds to write an image to the card. The buffer allows you to take up to 6 more shots during that time, but if you want to see what you just shot you have to stand there like an idiot and wait. So the shooting experience is very film-like. You choose your shots carefully, you really look for good light, and you make damn sure before pressing the shutter button!
    -Jack

• bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2014
    een heel mooie opname.
    vind hem wel wat te veel verscherpt.
    grt,boco.
    edited August 19, 2014
    boco wrote: »
    een heel mooie opname.
    vind hem wel wat te veel verscherpt.
    grt,boco.

Well, it's a Foveon sensor. The "too sharp" criticism is common. I think a lot of people simply are not accustomed to seeing so much crisp detail. I don't see halos, so I like it. I converted the RAW file to 16-bit TIFF in the Sigma converter, at 0 sharpness, on a scale of -2.0 to 2.0. Then I processed it in Lightroom with very minimal sharpening. 12 sharpness, 0.5 radius, 6 detail.
    -Jack

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2014
    Technically sound as I would expect from you and golden light and fluffy clouds are best of conditions and details are glorious!.The artsy component in terms of comp is different from what I would have done, but I know it is simply matter of taste and totally subjective. Cheers!
    edited August 21, 2014
    Thanks Stumblebum. I'm curious what you would have done differently...?
    -Jack

edited August 21, 2014
    Thanks Stumblebum. I'm curious what you would have done differently...?

Hi Jack,, as mentioned its purely subjective and we all have tendencies that we lean towards. For me focal point is best when off centered and more prominent and fewer things that distract from it.
    edited August 21, 2014
    Thanks for responding. Of these two I think I like the vertical one better. For horizonal, I like the silo and the contours of the subtle hill in the corn on the left, so I'll stick with the original. :)
    -Jack

edited August 21, 2014
    Thanks for responding. Of these two I think I like the vertical one better. For horizonal, I like the silo and the contours of the subtle hill in the corn on the left, so I'll stick with the original. :)

Sounds good! I will remove them now! Cheers!
  • joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2014
    Lovely shot.