Options

Any Foveon shooters in here?

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited August 18, 2014 in Landscapes
I recently picked up a Sigma DP2 Merrill. Not a very practical camera but when used in its sweet spot it's blowing me away with all the detail. Like, more detail than my 5D3.

i-W38XWQd-X3.jpg

Be sure to peep the ORIGINAL.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2014
    I tried to get a permit the shoot a Foveon, but my state game warden said the Foveon didn't exist and was an urban legend.

Sam
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited August 13, 2014
    Infreakingcredible the res. on that shot! And, exactly - my 5D3 can't do anything like that either. Was there any sharpening needed or is that basically right out of cam? What software do you use for post with Sigma Foveon shots?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited August 13, 2014
    There was someone here that shot Foveon and for the life of me, I don't remember who it was.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Infreakingcredible the res. on that shot! And, exactly - my 5D3 can't do anything like that either. Was there any sharpening needed or is that basically right out of cam? What software do you use for post with Sigma Foveon shots?

Thanks. Well this is the catch with Sigma photos... the straight-out-of-the-camera JPEGs are nothing special, nothing like this. However, if you open the RAW in Sigma Photo Pro (SPP), do nothing other than convert it to 16-bit TIFF at 0 sharpness (the default on a -2.0 to 2.0 scale), then process the TIFF to your liking in LR (at 0 sharpness), this is what you get. So it's not right out of the cam, but there's not much sharpening applied either.

SPP is a terrible, buggy, crashy piece of 3rd rate software. I wouldn't do any developing in it other than to simply convert a raw to a 16-bit TIFF. Add in the fact that it takes about 15 seconds for the camera to write a single frame to the card, and the shooting experience is decidedly film-like - you choose your shots sparingly. The buffer will allow you to take a number of shots successively, but if you want to see what you just shot, you are waiting about 15 seconds.

To be fair, the above is a two shot vertical panorama, stitched manually, to create the square composition. But that doesn't matter.

Here's another:

i-Nxzn7MX-X3.jpg

ORIGINAL
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2014
    Bueller?

i-X7KSdmK-X3.jpg

ORIGINAL
    -Jack

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited August 16, 2014
    Amazing. One thing I've noticed, though, and it is a small niggle, is that the bokeh in the back ground, is a bit fuzzy and strange, especially with that last shot on some of the trees way way back.

Unrelated…. have you attempted to up-rez (although I don't know what anyone really needs to) any of your shots to super sizes, you know, just for the heck of it, to see how they stand up it?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Amazing. One thing I've noticed, though, and it is a small niggle, is that the bokeh in the back ground, is a bit fuzzy and strange, especially with that last shot on some of the trees way way back.

Yeah. I haven't tried to really test the bokeh yet. I don't think I've taken a single shot at f/2.8. Maybe it's better then. But regardless, I didn't buy this camera for bokeh, I bought it for detail. I'll use my 5D3 when I want bokeh.
    Unrelated…. have you attempted to up-rez (although I don't know what anyone really needs to) any of your shots to super sizes, you know, just for the heck of it, to see how they stand up it?

HERE is a 24mp version of the above pic. I think it holds up well and is comparable to a 5D3 image. Of course it's not like more detail comes out of hiding, it just gets bigger. I probably wouldn't do this unless printing larger than 36". I got a 24" x 24" metallic print of the top image in the OP and it's awesome, you can put your nose to it.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited August 18, 2014
    Here's one from yesterday:

SDIM0150.jpg
    -Jack