Breeze

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited August 23, 2014 in Landscapes
Here are a couple of shots I took while cruising around in Oahu one day. It was just about midday so the sun was firing on all cylinders. We were sitting in the grass, taking in the sun and the ocean breeze. I wanted to try to capture that moment, that feeling of the breeze, the warmth of the sun and the beauty of Hawaii that was all around us. I decided to use an ND filter in hopes of conveying that feeling I had and creating something more than a snapshot.

1. I call this first one, "Spirit of Aloha". I'm sure we've all had this happen. Someone stands right in your shot. HAHA. Decided to leave him in the comp. :rofl

DSC_9781-Edit.jpg

2. This is a different shot of Mokoli'i island. I may print this photo. Looks kind of like the old vintage photos you'll see posted on walls in different stores and other places on the island.

DSC_9775-Edit.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2014
    Very cool, love them both.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2014
    First one is masterpiece!clap.gifbow

There would probably a split opinion whether to leave the dude in the comp or not.
    I wish you would make a virtual copy and loose him and post both so everyone has something to enjoy.

For second one, for some reason I notice some graininess in the sky in grays...

Cheers!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2014
    These shots are interesting. I understand the thrust of the images you were trying to create. Perhaps it's particular to me, but when viewing these pictures, I get the sensation that the land mass and trees are flying through the skies....as opposed to sensing the effects of a windy day.

Maybe I need another tequila.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2014
    I like the first one minus the gentleman. The palm frawns blowing this way makes me wait for the breeze to hit my face! Didnuou give a motion blur?mregardless, it is a fine image!
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2014
    Great job. The sense of the wind or summer breeze is something I have been trying to work on for awhile. You did quite well, particularly in the B&W. thumb.gifthumb
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2014
    Very cool, love them both.

Thanks.
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    First one is masterpiece!clap.gifbow

There would probably a split opinion whether to leave the dude in the comp or not.
    I wish you would make a virtual copy and loose him and post both so everyone has something to enjoy.

For second one, for some reason I notice some graininess in the sky in grays...

Cheers!

Thanks Taz. I've posted the first shot without the guy below. See whatcha think. As for the graininess in the second, I actually added a bit of grain to it. No like?
    These shots are interesting. I understand the thrust of the images you were trying to create. Perhaps it's particular to me, but when viewing these pictures, I get the sensation that the land mass and trees are flying through the skies....as opposed to sensing the effects of a windy day.

Maybe I need another tequila.

Tom

Or maybe you had one too many. Laughing.gif
    Eia wrote: »
    I like the first one minus the gentleman. The palm frawns blowing this way makes me wait for the breeze to hit my face! Didnuou give a motion blur?mregardless, it is a fine image!

No motion blur added. The blur was all in camera.
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Great job. The sense of the wind or summer breeze is something I have been trying to work on for awhile. You did quite well, particularly in the B&W. thumb.gifthumb

Thank you!

No photobomb version:
    DSC_9781-Edit-Edit-1.jpg

My Smug Site
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2014
    Yep! That's does it for me! You ought to hang it in your cabana!
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2014
    With Anna here.....No dude re-work is total hanger....perhaps even a seller.....the B&W + Island Life + this one......if anyone is going to hang landscape stuff in their home, they would love to get these!clap.gif

As for adding graininess......it must be matter of taste development......maybe someday I would be doing the same......but as of now....grain=delete in my book!:D
    Cheers my friend!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 17, 2014
    Creative user of an ND, Alex. I like the simplicity of these shots. #1 is my favorite. thumb.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2014
    Without the guy for sure. Both the color and the black and white work very well. Really cool shots.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2014
    "I like the first one minus the gentleman." Ditto. I love it but I'd clone him out. He's not what the shot is about, but he's a visual magnet. Very cool!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2014
    Eia wrote: »
    Yep! That's does it for me! You ought to hang it in your cabana!

At the copa, copacabana. rolleyes1.gif
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    With Anna here.....No dude re-work is total hanger....perhaps even a seller.....the B&W + Island Life + this one......if anyone is going to hang landscape stuff in their home, they would love to get these!clap.gif

As for adding graininess......it must be matter of taste development......maybe someday I would be doing the same......but as of now....grain=delete in my book!:D
    Cheers my friend!

Thanks Taz. The grain is an attempt to give it a film-era feel.
    kdog wrote: »
    Creative user of an ND, Alex. I like the simplicity of these shots. #1 is my favorite. thumb.gif

Thanks Joel.
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    Without the guy for sure. Both the color and the black and white work very well. Really cool shots.

Thanks Aaron.
    Cornflake wrote: »
    "I like the first one minus the gentleman." Ditto. I love it but I'd clone him out. He's not what the shot is about, but he's a visual magnet. Very cool!

Thanks!!! Not sure if you noticed by I posted the shot without the dude later in the thread. thumb.gif

My Smug Site
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2014
    Very nice!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D