Great White Heron AKA White Morph GBH

IraRunyanIraRunyan Registered Users Posts: 1,013 Major grins
edited June 17, 2008 in Wildlife
The Great White Heron at one time was classified as a distinct bird species, but it is now considered as a color phase of the Great Blue Heron. It's cool to see a Great Blue Heron with all white feathers. This color phase is only rarely seen outside of the Everglades or Keys. This one has been in the Viera Wetlands area for the last two weeks and is considered very rare in Brevard County.

Note the yellow colored legs which distinguishes it from the Great White Egret.
GreatWhiteHeron_4863.jpg

GreatWhiteHeron_4827.jpg

GreatWhiteHeron_4824.jpg

Comments

• darrell-fdarrell-f Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Nice catch.
    Very nice catch. That is a one in ten thousand bird!

He's been there longer than two weeks. I saw him (if not him, certainly another white morp) in early May. See my post here.
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Yep, you found it. Very nice white morph! You and Darrell both did well.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2008
    Congrats Ira, you managed to post a rare bird on your first post here at Dgrin clap.gif and you ticked off the forum's Mod at the same time. :pissed

I spent a good part of Sunday looking for the sucker and couldn't get close enough for a decent capture.

Welcome to Dgrin. wave.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • IraRunyanIraRunyan Registered Users Posts: 1,013 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Congrats Ira, you managed to post a rare bird on your first post here at Dgrin clap.gif and you ticked off the forum's Mod at the same time. :pissed

I spent a good part of Sunday looking for the sucker and couldn't get close enough for a decent capture.

Welcome to Dgrin. wave.gif

Sunday at 5:30 PM he was at the NW corner of the south Click pond near the pump. The next morning 6/16/2008 at 8:30 AM I saw him on the overflow pipe between the two ponds, but he was way too far away for a good photograph.

GreatWhiteHeron_5009.jpg