SmugMug Small STYLE Option Missing. LINKS option Missing.

TnHikerTnHiker Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited January 24, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Effective 1/22/07 @ 6 am EST I noticed in my SmugMug viewing of my galleries (logged-in mode) that some essential features have disappeared as options:

SmugMug Small STYLE option is gone.
LINKS option is gone (it is enabled in Control panel)
Preferred viewing size option is gone.
Individual image size option is gone (I see it in the hover-over pop-up--that SUCKs).

What happened? I want these back, please!!
Things are looking up. :thumb "Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

Click for Hike Journal website.

SmugMug acct: http://tnhiker.smugmug.com/

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    TnHiker wrote:
    Effective 1/22/07 @ 6 am EST I noticed in my SmugMug viewing of my galleries (logged-in mode) that some essential features have disappeared as options:

SmugMug Small STYLE option is gone.
    LINKS option is gone (it is enabled in Control panel)
    Preferred viewing size option is gone.
    Individual image size option is gone (I see it in the hover-over pop-up--that SUCKs).

What happened? I want these back, please!!

http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/2007/01/22/speed-beauty-brains-january-22nd-2007/

You can narrow your browser and still have smugmug small if you like - 9 thumbs and a small image.

Poke around with the new style, change is hard, but we hope you'll like it...

The single image links are in your photoBar popout, on hover over main image

Try it!
  • DutchDutch Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 22, 2007
    SmugMug Small
    Andy wrote:
    http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/2007/01/22/speed-beauty-brains-january-22nd-2007/

You can narrow your browser and still have smugmug small if you like - 9 thumbs and a small image.

Try it!

Hello -

I like some of the changes in the new upgrade. I can see how they will benefit me and those who visit my site. However, one change I do not like is the removal of the "SmugMug Small" option. I read your comments above. I agree, change can be hard for some. Personally, I am very receptive to change...if it is well thought out. I think that amateur account users may be less effected by this change. But, as a Pro Level account user, this very useful function has been removed. I set my site to default to SmugMug Small and specially placed certain photos in position "one" for each page of a particular gallery. These are photos that I want to highlight. As you note, the new release does revert to the SmugMug Small size if viewed with a minimized browser window. However, this is not the case if viewed with a fully expanded window. In effect you have taken away the control I had regarding which photos will be highlighted for visitors to my site. This was a very useful and important tool.

Also, the SmugMug Small format prevented the need to scroll down to see all of the photos on a given page. With the new format, when the browser window is fully expanded, it is necessary to scroll down to see all of the photos on a page. I consider this a nuisance when viewing images.

Additionally, because of the need to scroll down to see the bottom of the page, my footer is not as prominently displayed as it was when using the SmugMug Small format. It is important to me my that my visitors (potential clients) see my footer without the need to scroll down.

Please return the option for using a SmugMug Small format. Or, provide CSS code to work around this issue.

Thank you.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Dutch wrote:
    Hello -

I like some of the changes in the new upgrade. I can see how they will benefit me and those who visit my site. However, one change I do not like is the removal of the "SmugMug Small" option. I read your comments above. I agree, change can be hard for some. Personally, I am very receptive to change...if it is well thought out. I think that amateur account users may be less effected by this change. But, as a Pro Level account user, this very useful function has been removed. I set my site to default to SmugMug Small and specially placed certain photos in position "one" for each page of a particular gallery. These are photos that I want to highlight. As you note, the new release does revert to the SmugMug Small size if viewed with a minimized browser window. However, this is not the case if viewed with a fully expanded window. In effect you have taken away the control I had regarding which photos will be highlighted for visitors to my site. This was a very useful and important tool.
    I've got nothing for you there. If it's important to you to have a specific image featured as the 1st image of a given smugmug_small style page, I can't think of a work around that would keep it that way in the smugmug style.
    Also, the SmugMug Small format prevented the need to scroll down to see all of the photos on a given page. With the new format, when the browser window is fully expanded, it is necessary to scroll down to see all of the photos on a page. I consider this a nuisance when viewing images.
    This all depends on the monitor and the browser. I do not need to scroll down when viewing the smugmug style on my screen. It's not possible to cater to every browser window.
    Additionally, because of the need to scroll down to see the bottom of the page, my footer is not as prominently displayed as it was when using the SmugMug Small format. It is important to me my that my visitors (potential clients) see my footer without the need to scroll down.
    Again, that depends on the monitor and the browser.
    Please return the option for using a SmugMug Small format. Or, provide CSS code to work around this issue.

Thank you.
    A javascript workaround would probably be a good option IMHO. I've got no clue if it's possible.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    I think the point of his message is some pros want their page to show
    complete regardless of browser or screen resolution and Smug_small
    was the way to accomplish it.
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 22, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    I think the point of his message i some pros want their page to show
    complete regardless of browser or screen resolution and Smug_small
    was the way to accomplish it.
    Al

And more specifically, this is a case of "not completely apprehending the semantics of the user interface before you change it." When there's only one implementation, it *is* the interface spec, and users will come to depend on parts of it you didn't even realize were parts.

It's rough, but what can you do?
  • HDVideoHDVideo Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Try it!
    I'm not seeing any links in the photoBar. I checked the gallery settings and tried changing a few things but still no links. Are others having this problem or have I overlooked something? I only have links enabled on one private gallery and they worked prior to the upgrade.

Thanks,
  • HDVideoHDVideo Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    HDVideo wrote:
    I'm not seeing any links in the photoBar. I checked the gallery settings and tried changing a few things but still no links. Are others having this problem or have I overlooked something? I only have links enabled on one private gallery and they worked prior to the upgrade.

Thanks,

I found it. Like someone said in another thread, "hidden in plain sight"!
  • carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Dutch wrote:
    Hello -

Thank you.

I whole heartedly agree with the above (edited).
    The response that by minimizing the browser the view will default to smugmug small is not a satisfactory response - its not about how "I" view its about how I want others to see my site. When viewing my galleries now my banner does not extend across the whole of the thumbnail & image area, so what should I do now so that however it is viewed the banner is the same size as the 'gallery' area?
    It has been a slow process for me to get as far as I have with my site, and without the generous help of Barb, Ivar, Andy and others I would not have achieved this much, but now I am really disappointed with how things look.

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    The response that by minimizing the browser the view will default to smugmug small is not a satisfactory response - its not about how "I" view its about how I want others to see my site. When viewing my galleries now my banner does not extend across the whole of the thumbnail & image area, so what should I do now so that however it is viewed the banner is the same size as the 'gallery' area?
    It has been a slow process for me to get as far as I have with my site, and without the generous help of Barb, Ivar, Andy and others I would not have achieved this much, but now I am really disappointed with how things look.

Caroline
    If you're using images as banners then create 2 of them. One needs to be the width of the smugmug_small (750 plus the width of any padding and borders) and the other the width of the smugmug gallery (960 plus the width of any padding and borders). You may want another one for the Large gallery styles (single image large, filmstrip large, slideshow large etc) that is 800px plus padding and border widths.

Then do something like this:
    /* Default header for homepage and narrow gallery styles */
    #myHeader {
      width:770px; 
      background:url(/photos/XXXXXX-O.gif) top center no-repeat;
      }

/* Very wide header for smugmug and critique gallery styles */
    .smugmug #myHeader,
    .critique #myHeader {
      width:980px; 
      background:url(/photos/YYYYYYY-O.gif) top center no-repeat;
      }

/* Medium sized header for galleries with Large or Original sized photos in them */
    .Large #myHeader,
    .Original #myHeader {
      width:820px;
      background:url(/photos/ZZZZZZZZ-O.gif) top center no-repeat;
      }

Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    caroline wrote:

Caroline

We're adding a JavaScript variable shortly (I hope today, but depends on testing. Definitely soon) that will enable you to have SmugMug Small back again.

It will be on automatically if you've set your gallery to use SmugMug Small in the past.

Sorry about overlooking this, but thanks for your feedback - we'll make it right.

Don
  • carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    onethumb wrote:
    We're adding a JavaScript variable shortly (I hope today, but depends on testing. Definitely soon) that will enable you to have SmugMug Small back again.

It will be on automatically if you've set your gallery to use SmugMug Small in the past.

Sorry about overlooking this, but thanks for your feedback - we'll make it right.

Don

Thank you so much for being so responsive.
    Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    onethumb wrote:

Don

Thanks! This would have been a deal killer for me. Especially since my subscription renewel is next week!
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • DigitalTasmaniaDigitalTasmania Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Thanks Don
    onethumb wrote:

Don

Don,

Thanks for your efforts and service ethics . . . this is what keeps me coming back even when I'm frustrated beyond belief that I burned hours on trying to ID and troubleshoot SmugBugs - missing sleep and a deadline in the process.

Sincere thanks for your level of attention and service.

BTW - do you have a time machine?

Peace from Tasmania,

Thomas
    edited January 22, 2007
    Thanks! This would have been a deal killer for me. Especially since my subscription renewel is next week!
    I'm curious, why do you force smugmug small, thanks ear.gif
  • raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I'm curious, why do you force smugmug small, thanks ear.gif

All of my customization pretty much relies on the "smugmug small" galllery style. I'm not particularly looking forward to re-doing it. I like having the design elements on my page flush with each other, and don't want them changing with the window size.
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
    edited January 22, 2007
    All of my customization pretty much relies on the "smugmug small" galllery style. I'm not particularly looking forward to re-doing it. I like having the design elements on my page flush with each other, and don't want them changing with the window size.
    OK - i can't see your site b/c you have disabled things... wanted to see :D
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    onethumb wrote:

Don

For the folks that want to keep Smugmug small, this is great. Just wanted to point out how ironic it is that no sooner is the path to SmugMugXL paved than the (heretofore satisfied) SmugMugSmall crowd pipes up. lol3.gif

Props to SM for taking care of both sides!thumb.gif
  • TnHikerTnHiker Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Try it!

Thanks for your reply and all other contributors since this morning's original post on this thread.
    • The Links feature you mention is totally unacceptable to me. It only offers links for S, M, L & O. No links for galleries or slideshows. I can do the workaround by starting a gallery or slideshow but then that is just another workaround that wasn't necessary before removal of the LINKS feature.
    • I just played around a bit more looking for a way to get a link to thumbnail or "tiny" images. Where'd that now with the changes? I couldn't find it anywhere and am back to making thumbnails for posting to other sites on my home PC and uploading. For some of my work I have to have an internet link to an image (no uploads allowed). That was one reason I started using SmugMug.
    • No one has addressed the missing options for setting preferred viewing size. Choosing to view a specific image as one size apparently has no effect on viewing of subsequent images (at least that is the way I remember it from this morning when the SmugMug site was working properly).
    • In many parts of the U.S. we still live and die by the dial-up method of internet connections. Waiting for a large image to load takes minutes (not seconds). Slideshows run at whatever size we've got our monitor set to display (read that as way too darn slow)--we want a pre-set slideshow image size option other than the monitor resolution setting!
    • Those of you with cable modems and T1 lines sometimes need to think about dial-up users' limitations. Here's a reminder/primer: At 49kps connection speeds (typical for a 56K dial-up modem) it takes me 4 or 5 minutes to download a 1 MB file. Several of my friends live in areas where their typical connection speed is only 26kps. Their download times for that 1MB file would be nearly 10 minutes. Digest those numbers while you are "forcing" the larger images down our bottlenecked throats.
    Yes, I live so far back in the woods here in TN that the Sunday edition of the Grand Ole Opry comes in on Tuesdays.

Al
    Things are looking up. :thumb "Today is the first day of the rest of your life."

edited January 22, 2007
    TnHiker wrote:
    Thanks for your reply and all other contributors since this morning's original post on this thread.
    • Since 4:57 pm EST Monday SmugMug will not load "my photos" (my account). It just sits there until the IE time-out. So much for experimenting....
    • The Links feature you mention is totally unacceptable to me. It only offers links for S, M, L & O. No links for galleries or slideshows. I can do the workaround by starting a gallery or slideshow but then that is just another workaround that wasn't necessary before removal of the LINKS feature.
    • No one has addressed the missing options for setting preferred viewing size. Choosing to view a specific image as one size apparently has no effect on viewing of subsequent images (at least that is the way I remember it from this morning when the SmugMug site was working properly).
    • In many parts of the U.S. we still live and die by the dial-up method of internet connections. Waiting for a large image to load takes minutes (not seconds). Slideshows run at whatever size we've got our monitor set to display (read that as way too darn slow)--we want a pre-set slideshow image size option other than the monitor resolution setting!
    • Those of you with cable modems and T1 lines sometimes need to think about dial-up users' limitations. Here's a reminder/primer: At 49kps connection speeds (typical for a 56K dial-up modem) it takes me 4 or 5 minutes to download a 1 MB file. Several of my friends live in areas where their typical connection speed is only 26kps. Their download times for that 1MB file would be nearly 10 minutes. Digest those numbers while you are "forcing" the larger images down our bottlenecked throats.
    Yes, I live so far back in the woods here in TN that the Sunday edition of the Grand Ole Opry comes in on Tuesdays.

Al
    Al, hang in there.. web superhero {JT} will get this done!
    edited January 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Al, hang in there.. web superhero {JT} will get this done!

Thanks Andy, I'm hopeful.

The website (SmugMug) is at least loading again after a short "outage".

Is there a workaround for getting URL links to thumbnail size images now that the LINKS feature has been removed? I need that feature and would rather not have to post the image as a thumbnail in order to have it usable in that size for URL linking.

Al

• StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    TnHiker wrote:
    Thanks Andy, I'm hopeful.

The website (SmugMug) is at least loading again after a short "outage".

Is there a workaround for getting URL links to thumbnail size images now that the LINKS feature has been removed? I need that feature and would rather not have to post the image as a thumbnail in order to have it usable in that size for URL linking.

Al

Do you mean a link that creates this? 102278394-Ti.jpg
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
    edited January 22, 2007
    Stustaff wrote:
    Do you mean a link that creates this? 102278394-Ti.jpg

Exactly! How would you get that (as a link) now that SmugMug has removed the LINKS feature?

• StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    TnHiker wrote:
    Exactly! How would you get that (as a link) now that SmugMug has removed the LINKS feature?
    ok the first way is have your gallery in a format that shows the thumbnails then just right click on the thumbnail and choose properties, then copy the link from the window that appears.

Or say you have this link http://stuarthill.smugmug.com/photos/104081334-M.jpg

Just change the M to Ti so it looks like this
    http://stuarthill.smugmug.com/photos/104081334-Ti.jpg

which gives you 104081334-Ti.jpg

you can also change that 'M' to 'L' 'O' or 'S' for different sizes.

Does that help?
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
    edited January 22, 2007
    Thumbnail Link Problem Solved--Thanks!
    Stustaff wrote:
    ok the first way is have your gallery in a format that shows the thumbnails then just right click on the thumbnail and choose properties, then copy the link from the window that appears.

Or say you have this link http://stuarthill.smugmug.com/photos/104081334-M.jpg

Just change the M to Ti so it looks like this
    http://stuarthill.smugmug.com/photos/104081334-Ti.jpg

which gives you 104081334-Ti.jpg

you can also change that 'M' to 'L' 'O' or 'S' for different sizes.

Does that help?

I understand. I'll give that a try since it is something I'd used before for "M" or "L" images but had never tried for thumbs.

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 22, 2007
    TnHiker wrote:

the LINKS feature isn't removed....it's renamed "Share"
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    Links removed or still there?
    I hear in some post that the external links option has been removed, then in another that they found it in plain site???

Do we have the external links option still available - and if so - WHERE is IT??

If not, how do I post images from my site to other forums as I did in the past??

Also on the save photo option - what size files are being saved? - Doesn't seem to be an option of the file size to be saved - small, medium, large, original????

Oh and by the way is anyone's site actually faster? Since the change loading my site has become very noticably SLOWER!

Michael

TnHiker wrote:
    I understand. I'll give that a try since it is something I'd used before for "M" or "L" images but had never tried for thumbs.
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    It looks like maybe you have the #altViews div hidden in your CSS? Look at my site for the "share photos" button in the upper right. The sharing stuff lives there now.

http://www.wellmanphoto.com/gallery/1891854
    edited January 22, 2007
    Michael,

There is a "Share" button now...it might be hidden by some of your customisation as it isn't in the same location it use to be.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • MichaelKirkMichaelKirk Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2007
    That's it
    Now I wonder how to get it back as I'm no Coding wizard ne_nau.gif

Michael
    devbobo wrote:
    Michael,

There is a "Share" button now...it might be hidden by some of your customisation as it isn't in the same location it use to be.

Cheers,

David
    edited January 22, 2007
    Now I wonder how to get it back as I'm no Coding wizard ne_nau.gif

Michael

i'm no css guru.. but try this...

#shareLinkWrapper {visibility:visible;}

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer