How to remove SHINY FACE

spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
edited February 1, 2011 in Finishing School
Hi All,

I run into this a lot at parties. Toward the end of the evening folks get a little shiny. Maybe it's hot in the venue, maybe they've had a few drinks or they've been dancing. Here's a Photoshop technique I've come up with that works pretty well for me. I'm sure there are others. I'd be interested in hearing about them.

enjoy,
Trish

HOW TO REVOVE SHINY FACE:

1. Clone out all unwanted blemishes. Don't worry too much about the small blemishes in the shiny areas.

2. CTL-J to make a new layer

3. Press ']' a bunch of times to increase your clone tool brush size

4. Sample a smooth skin place and brush away all the parts that shine. Even the nose. Don't worry that it looks fake.

5. Go ahead and get up close to the hair areas with a smaller clone brush if you need to. Don't worry too much about hitting the hair.

6. Set the opacity of this new layer to somewhere around 60%. Whatever looks natural.

note: I'll often leave the lips shiny, and above the eye if it's a woman wearing eyeshadow.

163509282-M.jpg

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Good tut and thanks for sharing.thumb.gif

I do pretty much the same way, it's quiet easy to accomplish!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    spider-t wrote: »
    Hi All,

I run into this a lot at parties. Toward the end of the evening folks get a little shiny. Maybe it's hot in the venue, maybe they've had a few drinks or they've been dancing. Here's a Photoshop technique I've come up with that works pretty well for me. I'm sure there are others. I'd be interested in hearing about them.

enjoy,
    Trish

HOW TO REVOVE SHINY FACE:

1. Clone out all unwanted blemishes. Don't worry too much about the small blemishes in the shiny areas.

2. CTL-J to make a new layer

3. Press ']' a bunch of times to increase your clone tool brush size

4. Sample a smooth skin place and brush away all the parts that shine. Even the nose. Don't worry that it looks fake.

5. Go ahead and get up close to the hair areas with a smaller clone brush if you need to. Don't worry too much about hitting the hair.

6. Set the opacity of this new layer to somewhere around 60%. Whatever looks natural.

note: I'll often leave the lips shiny, and above the eye if it's a woman wearing eyeshadow.

163509282-M.jpg

Yep!
    This is the easiest way! Tried glossian blur but that is not that good.
  • malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    BinaryFx wrote: »
    I would also recommend to use darken blend mode.

Yes, that's my preference too.

In some cases, the cloned areas can look a little flat. One can add a little high-pass sharpening to those areas to help restore texture.

There is also a commercial plugin that anyone with a large volume of images to process might want to look at:

http://www.imagetrendsinc.com/products/prodpage_shine.asp

It seems to do a pretty good job with minimal effort.
  • GrampsGramps Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    There are a bunch of ways to get rid of that shine. I create a blank layer. Sample the skin tones in an area that is close but darker than what I think it should be. Select an airbrush and change the opacity and the flow to about 20% and apply like makeup. Use a big brush, much bigger than the area you are working with. Simply mask and adjust the opacity of the makeup layer as needed. It takes a bit more work but it also allows for hiding minor blemishes when you are dealing with beards.