Patriotic Roses?

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
edited April 16, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
A few years ago, I took a photo of a yellow rose with a Texas flag in the background. I call this shot The Yellow Rose of Texas. It is my most popular photo and I have sold many, many prints of it.
P5076328%20c-M.jpg

The last person who purchased this print asked me if I also had a red rose with either the Texas flag or the US flag. Well, no I didn't, but if that is what someone wants.....well, then I set out to try to get it. Below are three versions of my attempt to get red roses with a US flag. I'm not sure I like them, but haven't figured out what is bugging me about them.

So...I'd like a little feedback please. First, which of the three shots do you prefer? Second, should I go back to the drawing board and try it with just one rose or should I keep two roses so I have a different look than the yellow rose shot?

#1 This one is more straight-on with the flag a bit higher & closer to the roses.
P4143945-1-L.jpg

2. This one is from slightly above the roses and the flag is lower and further back.
P4143953-1-L.jpg

3. This one is similar to #2, but the flag is a little higher. Same angle of the roses though--just slightly above.
P4143955-1-L.jpg

I think I like that the flag is closer in the first one, but I like the angle of the roses in the last two. I'm torn between staying with two roses or trying it with just one.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for looking.
Sherry

Comments

• EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2013
    Hi Sherry... I'll chime-in, fwiw:
    Like you, I prefer the flag in the first one... my wife is an artist and often tells me that objects are (generally) more pleasing in odd numbers 1-3-5 etc. I tend to agree with her on this. I think the space between the two, is a little too wide.
    Angle - I think the angle of The Yellow Rose of Texas is just about right because the viewer is looking more into, rather than at the rose - also the yellow bloom is a bit more open - the bottom rose in last image looks great.
    I like the color balance and lighting/brightness in the red rose pics a little more also.
    All-in-all a very beautiful composition and image - best of luck to you!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • TazZTazZ Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2013
    I am still kinda new here but in my thoughs I think one is nice
  • GrayPlayerGrayPlayer Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2013
    I like one for the simple reason; the contrast forces the yellow rose to the forefront.
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2013
    Thank you Eric, Tazz, & Grayplayer. I appreciate the time you took to provide some feedback.

I did try some different shots yesterday with just one rose & still not sure I got something I am happy with. Today, the red roses are opened up enough that I think it would have made a better picture, but I didn't take the camera to work with me (that's where the roses are). Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

I think my problem is that I love the yellow rose image so much that none of the red rose images look 'right' to me.

Thanks again,
    Sherry