Help finding Photography Lesson Plans or Books

shadowdancer36shadowdancer36 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited February 4, 2015 in Finishing School
Not sure if this the proper forum, but I hope so :-) I'm doing some volunteer work with inner city youth and wanted to teach some children the basics of digital photography.

I want to create a few lessons and take them out on the field to show how their camera works. Nothing too advanced. But I was hoping some teachers out here could point me in the right direction? Maybe some lesson plans or books I can order to better help me guide the class

Any help would be much appreciated. :bow

Comments

• OobersOobers Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2014
    Not sure if this the proper forum, but I hope so :-) I'm doing some volunteer work with inner city youth and wanted to teach some children the basics of digital photography.

I want to create a few lessons and take them out on the field to show how their camera works. Nothing too advanced. But I was hoping some teachers out here could point me in the right direction? Maybe some lesson plans or books I can order to better help me guide the class

Any help would be much appreciated. bowdown.gif
    Scott Kelby 's books are pretty straight forward and informative.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited September 11, 2014
    There are a lot of free online courses that you could look at for inspiration. Even Wikipedia has definitions that you can review and craft into something useful for your level.

Good for you for taking the time to give back to your community.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    I'm not a teacher, so...... We don't know the age of your students, nor how long you are going to be with them for this photography teaching, nor do we know of their previous exposure to photography and its tools....

I was looking for something to suggest and found this book by Jim Miotke "BetterPhoto Basics: The Absolute Beginner's Guide to Taking Photos Like a Pro" http://www.amazon.com/BetterPhoto-Basics-Absolute-Beginners-Taking/dp/081740502X/ref=pd_sim_b_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1W9HDE38WC34Y2PRHH8R It focuses on getting good pictures with the basics. Lots of nice pictures, and a great depth of references for folks who want more information

I don't know what your budget is for your students - Amazon offers this book for $12.95, or $12.11 for a Kindle version.

Kelby offers his "The Digital Photography Book Vol 1 - 2nd edition", but it has a lot of his humor, that may or may not, appeal to someone looking for quick, fast answers.

You might also mention James Vanderzee, Gordon Parks, and Jeanne Moutosussamy-Ashe as photographers your young students might want to read about in a library or on a website.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • shadowdancer36shadowdancer36 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    Many thanks for your input guys. I know Scott has some very useful books to help out, but I'm looking for something that has a curriculum already set, along with work assignments. I know some of these books have Q & As at the end of them, but just looking for something more here.

I'll be dealing with complete newbies. I'm guessing 17 and older. I'm not looking to go in depth as far as the history of photography or anything like that. I just wanna get down to the nuts and bolts on how a digital camera operates and what the different (basic) options are when it comes to manual and automatic settings.

They left it to me as far as how many to a class and how long the class will be. I'm new to this so I have no clue here. I'm guessing a month and a half maybe?

I was thinking maybe I could use Lynda site to guide the class along and we just do assignments from that. Any more suggestions is greatly appreciated. I'm going to look at the books that are listed so far.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2015
    Many thanks for your input guys. I know Scott has some very useful books to help out, but I'm looking for something that has a curriculum already set, along with work assignments. I know some of these books have Q & As at the end of them, but just looking for something more here.

I'll be dealing with complete newbies. I'm guessing 17 and older. I'm not looking to go in depth as far as the history of photography or anything like that. I just wanna get down to the nuts and bolts on how a digital camera operates and what the different (basic) options are when it comes to manual and automatic settings.

They left it to me as far as how many to a class and how long the class will be. I'm new to this so I have no clue here. I'm guessing a month and a half maybe?

I was thinking maybe I could use Lynda site to guide the class along and we just do assignments from that. Any more suggestions is greatly appreciated. I'm going to look at the books that are listed so far.
    I use Lynda all the time.. I really love it. I just do a month every now and then to keep up skills (what few I have)mwink.gif
  • PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2015
    Search on Amazon. Lots of beginning photography books. This one looks pretty good.