Options

Small town early Sunday morning

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited March 25, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
HDR of 4 exposures starting at 10secs.
D7100 @f/25 ISO 500 32mm (18-200mm Nikkor lens)
PP using Lightroom & PS
C&C's welcomed!

DSC_1055_6_7_8HDR-7-2-XL.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2015
    Excellent shot and processing! clap.gifthumb

I don't often think about converting HDR shots to BW - I will think about it more often now!!
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2015
    Jo loved it so I had to see it again.....but my first impression for me is that lights are garnering way too much attention.....and the biggest on the right looks like it is in middle of the tree.....causing some weirdness in my mind......but LIKE the leading line......small towns are cute.....so I look forward to that aspect in better light!
    Cheers m8!
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2015
    I love the starbursts in the streetlights. Was that added in post-processing? Or resulting from small aperture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Excellent shot and processing! clap.gifthumb

I don't often think about converting HDR shots to BW - I will think about it more often now!!

Hey Jo, thanks so much for the kind comment. I'll have to say that up to the time I was about to save a JPG file this shot was in color. Just out of curiosity I flipped it to BW and it just seemed to convey better the emptiness of the street in that format. Coming for someone who can post some incredible pictures, this makes my day!
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Jo loved it so I had to see it again.....but my first impression for me is that lights are garnering way too much attention.....and the biggest on the right looks like it is in middle of the tree.....causing some weirdness in my mind......but LIKE the leading line......small towns are cute.....so I look forward to that aspect in better light!
    Cheers m8!

Taz, as ALWAYS! I really appreciate your very valuable input. The street has 2 to 3 of these HPS lights per block and it was hard to get them into the background so to speak. I even thought about taking the tripod to the middle of the street standing at a point where there were lights to either side but out of view, but my wife forbids such activity! I have another view I will post below in which I stood beneath one light and shot across the street. However, you can still see the prominent street light on the right. Let me know which you prefer! Thanks so much!
    CCoop wrote: »
    I love the starbursts in the streetlights. Was that added in post-processing? Or resulting from small aperture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carter, thanks so much for commenting. The starbursts results entirely from the small aperture which was chosen for this purpose as well as large DOF and trying to decrease glare. Thanks again! Really glad you liked it.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited March 22, 2015

15 secs
    f/25 @ 31mm
    ISO 500

DSC_1052-edit-3-7-L.jpg

• Options
    edited March 22, 2015
    I like the second shot! Flags and star bursts are working! Pretty shot, even though in either I can't say just by looking at them that they are from "small town"......could have been taken in Chicago.
    Also, perhaps not doable or lot of work, but the horizontal wires, if they could be gotten rid of, that will clean it up sweetly!
    Enjoying this one m8!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2015
    I like the second shot! Flags and star bursts are working! Pretty shot, even though in either I can't say just by looking at them that they are from "small town"......could have been taken in Chicago.
    Also, perhaps not doable or lot of work, but the horizontal wires, if they could be gotten rid of, that will clean it up sweetly!
    Enjoying this one m8!

Taz, thanks! I actually did remove a street crossing power line from the first shot but I simply ran out of post-processing concentration/energy on the second. :bash ... :D

• Options
    edited March 24, 2015
    These were not taken on a Sunday morning but here are a few more very early morning shots...

#1. Dark over the court house. The lighting is hard on this one as the building is lit up by fluorescent lighting but the lower steps and sidewalk are illuminated by high pressure sodium lights.

DSC_1274-edit-2-7-7-XL.jpg

#2. the black & white which I like better

DSC_1271-edit-3-7-XL.jpg

and to conclude pics on this thread a sunrise began just as I was packing up to leave.

#3.

DSC_1285-edit-1-7-XL.jpg

• Options
    edited March 24, 2015
    Like last of the 3 new ones very much!
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2015
    Like last of the 3 new ones very much!

Taz, you are very kind. I was concerned that the B&W sky was distractingly noisy. Your opinion is highly valued.

• Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2015
    Courthouse in B/W belongs on U.S. currency. Stately.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    Courthouse in B/W belongs on U.S. currency. Stately.

Carter, thanks for looking at the shots. It very definitely dominates other structures on the street!