Video for Canon SD500 - Extreme III vs. Ultra II SD Card

txtxyehatxtxyeha Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited August 4, 2005 in Accessories
I know this is mainly a still px vs. video forum, but I thought I would throw this question out anyhow. Does anyone have a comment on the performance of a Ultra II SD card vs. SanDisk's Extreme III card? With a 1GB III you get approx. 8" of video at high resolution and 30 fps. I would like to double that capability, but the price of a 2GB III card is making me wince (e.g., $280+). A 2GB SanDisk Ultra II SD card cost approx. $180 which looks much more attractive to me financially, but will this same attraction carry over to performance or quality?

Comments

• MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2005
    txtxyeha wrote:
    I know this is mainly a still px vs. video forum, but I thought I would throw this question out anyhow. Does anyone have a comment on the performance of a Ultra II SD card vs. SanDisk's Extreme III card? With a 1GB III you get approx. 8" of video at high resolution and 30 fps. I would like to double that capability, but the price of a 2GB III card is making me wince (e.g., $280+). A 2GB SanDisk Ultra II SD card cost approx. $180 which looks much more attractive to me financially, but will this same attraction carry over to performance or quality?

I don't have a Canon SD500 (or anything that takes SD for that matter) but do you really mean 8"? (as in 8 seconds) Can it really only do 8 seconds of video at high resolution?

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • txtxyehatxtxyeha Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 4, 2005
    8 minutes of video with the 1GB card.

Ended up answering my own question regarding Ultra II and Extreme III. The Ultra II works well for my video/px needs. The Extreme III was an oversell(purchase) in my case.