from Midcoast to Acadia, a mid-October wander

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
edited November 2, 2015 in Journeys
I try to get to Acadia National Park twice a year, once in May, and once in October. This year's May trip was early in the month; the park was pretty empty. My October trip had somewhat odd timing in that it coincided with Columbus Day. I try to avoid holidays on my visits to a favorite national park since I prefer quiet wandering without a lot of people - oops! I didn't quite manage that on this trip.

I started with a 2-day visit with a friend in Yarmouth, Maine. Our first day was not a photo and wandering day since it was filled with chilly air and heavy rain. That's OK, a sit at home visiting day was a good start to my travels.

The next day was a treat - still quite cool, with changing skies and dry air.

Our first stop was Reid State Park. The road to access the park is just over the bridge heading north/east from Bath. The park is a combination of rocky coastline and sandy beaches.

1 :: water on the rocks led my eye to the coastline and trees across the water
201510_XT1_2723L-X2.jpg

2 :: the "beach" was home to interesting rocks
201510_XT1_2737L-X2.jpg

3 :: some of the rocks were painted with green moss
201510_XT1_2761L-X2.jpg

4 :: Reid State Park has sandy beaches too, usually sandwiched between rocks
201510_XT1_2769L-X2.jpg

After satisfying our wandering needs at Reid, we headed back to Bath for a bite to eat at Mae's Cafe & Bakery. If you're in the area and looking for food, I highly recommend this bakery and breakfast / lunch spot. It's open from 8 AM to 2 PM so you'll need to plan ahead.

Food need satisfied, we headed for the Phippsburg Peninsula. We thought about stopping at Popham Beach State Park but opted to start walking at Fort Popham at the end of the peninsula.

5 :: footprints in the sand
201510_XT1_2820L-X2.jpg

6 :: beach, an old lifeguard station, people walking
201510_XT1_2836L-X2.jpg

The next morning I turned the car towards Acadia. I usually stay on I-95, turning to the coast at Bangor. This time I opted to jump off of the highway in Augusta hoping for some early autumn color on more of a back road.

7 :: somewhat muted, autumn colors mixed with green
201510_XT1_2848L-X2.jpg

My before reaching Bar Harbor target for the day was Stonington, a town on Deer Isle.

8 :: a harbor view, in Stonington
201510_XT1_2886L-X2.jpg

9 :: near the bridge between the mainland and Deer Isle
201510_XT1_2904L-X2.jpg

Ah, it was time to wander in Acadia! I had 3 full days there with a somewhat mixed weather forecast. The first day was projected to be sunny with clear skies (ouch on the clear skies!), the second day had a rainy forecast, and the third was to be clear again. Hmm...

I opted to stay in the main part of the park on Mt. Desert Island for the first day, starting with a hike up Gorham Mountain. I followed my usual path there, starting at Sand Beach and walking down the Ocean Path until I reached the turnoff for Gorham Mountain.

10 :: trees, high on the mountain
201510_XT1_2956L-X2.jpg

11 :: a view of Sand Beach from Gorham Mountain
201510_XT1_2961L-X2.jpg

At one point on the trail down the mountain I came to a complete stop, standing and looking around me at the bright yellow leaves of autumn.

12 :: a sea of yellow leaves
201510_XT1_2984L-X2.jpg

Knowing there was gray weather forecast for the next day I decided to head up Cadillac Mountain to enjoy the late day light. While the skies were clear for much of the day, low clouds started to decorate the mountain soon after I arrived at the top.

13 :: a mixture of light, rocks, water
201510_XT1_3078L-X2.jpg

14 :: late day light paints the rocks
201510_XT1_3089L-X2.jpg

15 :: pure magic, clouds below the summit colored by the setting sun
201510_XT1_3121L-X2.jpg

It was very foggy but not yet raining when I woke up the next morning. I headed to my favorite spot in the park, the Schoodic Peninsula. Most of the park is on Mount Desert Island but Schoodic is the next peninsula to the north and east back on the mainland.

16 :: sculpted rocks and reflection, Schoodic
201510_XT1_3142L-X2.jpg

17 :: birds, birds, birds! on the rocks and in the water bouncing in the waves
201510_XT1_3180L-X2.jpg

18 :: a glimpse of a dark diabase dike
201510_XT1_3159L-X2.jpg

19 :: looking...
201510_XT1_3207L-X2.jpg

After a couple of hours soaking up the scenery at Schoodic the rain started. I decided it was time to head back to Bar Harbor, thinking maybe I would have a quiet rest of the day sitting still. That thought didn't last too long though. The rain eased up a bit, changing from heavy to light. I threw a rain cover on my pack, grabbed my camera, and headed out walking from the B&B with the Jesup Path as my destination.

20 :: painted leaves called to me
201510_XT1_3239L-X2.jpg

21 :: with the low clouds and fog, trees wearing bright colors popped
201510_XT1_3245L-X2.jpg

22 :: Jesup Path boardwalk through the trees
201510_XT1_3255L-X2.jpg

23 :: bright red, this time from apples
201510_XT1_3299L-X2.jpg

Sun returned the next morning. I chose to do a series of short hikes, drawn by color and scenes rather than by a desire to walk a specific path.

24 :: an impressionist reflection, a bit of water in the woods
201510_XT1_3375L-X2.jpg

25 :: fall color in ferns
201510_XT1_3388L-X2.jpg

26 :: a trail lined in birch trees
201510_XT1_3432L-X2.jpg

27 :: low tide, sand bar to Bar Island exposed
201510_XT1_3448L-X2.jpg

I hope you've enjoyed wandering with me on my (as always) too short adventure. If you're interested in more images from this trip they can be viewed in the gallery at Midcoast to Downeast Maine :: 2015-10.

I considered taking two cameras with me on this trip but in the end only one jumped into my bag. All photos above were taken with a Fujifilm X-T1. Lenses in use were the Fujifilm XF10-24 and XF18-135.

--- Denise

Comments

• EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2015
    clap.gif These are wonderful Denise!
    Such a nice variety of thoughtful compositions and scenes... thumb.gif
    I've never been to your region, so I always enjoy your large, luscious landscapes!
    Thanks for sharing your Journey!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2015
    Denise, these are well composed and nicely processed. I enjoyed each and every one of them as well as reading the details of your journey. clap.gifbow
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited November 1, 2015
    Earache wrote: »
    These are wonderful Denise!
    Such a nice variety of thoughtful compositions and scenes... thumb.gif
    I've never been to your region, so I always enjoy your large, luscious landscapes!
    Thanks for sharing your Journey!
    Thanks Eric - I'm glad you enjoyed them. If you haven't been to Acadia it's well worth a visit.
    Denise, these are well composed and nicely processed. I enjoyed each and every one of them as well as reading the details of your journey.
    Thank you Wayne. It's good to know people are enjoying the photos.

--- Denise
  • lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2015
    Nice set of pictures.

I couldn't get to Acadia this year so your images have helped me get my Acadian fix until next season.

Thanks
    edited November 1, 2015
    lfortier wrote: »
    Nice set of pictures.

I couldn't get to Acadia this year so your images have helped me get my Acadian fix until next season.
    Thanks Lee! I'm happy I could help get you your Acadia fix!

--- Denise
  • 1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2015
    Beautiful. Very good work.
    edited November 2, 2015
    1andyw wrote: »
    Beautiful. Very good work.
    Thank you 1andyw!

--- Denise
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2015
    Beautiful, Denise. Your advice was very appreciated last year when I made my first (and sadly still only) trip to Acadia. I came back from that trip having labeled it my new "favorite place I've been" and can't wait to return. Until then, I will enjoy Acadia and surrounds vicariously through your photos. Thank you!
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
    edited November 2, 2015
    Beautiful, Denise. Your advice was very appreciated last year when I made my first (and sadly still only) trip to Acadia. I came back from that trip having labeled it my new "favorite place I've been" and can't wait to return. Until then, I will enjoy Acadia and surrounds vicariously through your photos. Thank you!
    Thank you! I'm glad my advice from last year was helpful.

--- Denise