More bugs!

sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
edited November 26, 2006 in Holy Macro
While I was out at the barn I went around with little Marco and Gabby to look for bugs. They are like half as tall as I am so they are able to spot the critters a lot better. :) You can tell its getting close to winter. Its TOUGH to find anything... and most stuff is damn near dead!

a little bush with dried up little pods on there. Interesting shot...
IMG_6883.JPG

This is a dead moth that fell victim to a spider web. I was looking for spiders but couldn't find any. This worked.
IMG_6903.JPG

Damn near dead lady bug.
IMG_6936.JPG

damn near dead bug. WHen I found him he was upside down moving his little legs trying to upright himself. Probably been there for hours.
IMG_6952.JPG

supa-fly!
IMG_6971.JPG

This is one of those leaf cutter worms... the ones that wrap themselves into a ball if you touch them.
IMG_6972.JPG

some sort of egg sack... possibly a spider egg sac
IMG_6990.JPG

This is one of those little triangle lookin bugs that you usually get on you when you walk through high grass. Its like a mini cicada.
IMG_7012.JPG

This was a growth on the side of a moss covered tree. Its not really moss... almost looked like a bonzai plant growing out of a full tree. Pretty wild lookin!
IMG_7013.JPG

Another worm... this is like one of those little guys that you see when you turn a rock over.
IMG_7014.JPG

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    sirsloop wrote:
    I was looking for spiders but couldn't find any

Nice close shots.

If you wish to draw a spider out of a web without harming them then get a plastic drinking straw & cut the end to a point with scissors. This is effectively a musical reed. Put that end in your lips & blow..it make a high pitched vibration that when put the other end of the straw up against a web...sounds just like a distressed fly & the vibrations add to that convincing.

Now there is a problem here...we have an over excited spider dropping his beer + TV remote & flying off the lounge and out the front door like an F-18 directly at your lips. The shorter the straw the higher the pitch thus the closer your lips are to the spider. A game of chicken sort of.
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2006
    heh heh... thats a pretty good idea! I usually just blow on the web somewhere or twick it with my finger. Can't say I want some of the larger spiders running with blood in their eyes straight at my face rolleyes1.gif
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    sirsloop wrote:
    While I was out at the barn I went around with little Marco and Gabby to look for bugs. They are like half as tall as I am so they are able to spot the critters a lot better. :) You can tell its getting close to winter. Its TOUGH to find anything... and most stuff is damn near dead!

I see your still having a heap of fun with your lens :D
    Your flies eyes are spot on thumb.gif yep your hooked good and proper arent you rolleyes1.gif

Looking forward to the next lot Sirsloop .... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    awesome closeups!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    beautiful photos loved them !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery