Jackson Hole Wyoming..not a landscape photographer but what do you think of this

SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited January 21, 2008 in Landscapes
I do not do landscapes at all but when in Jackson Hole and surrounding areas this summer I took a few pictures of popular sites in the area. Found this picture this morning and also just received the new issue of Photoshop User magazine. Thought I would try out one of the techniques that they discussed in the magazine on this is picture. Kind of liked it but wanted to get your opinion. The technique is using the shadow/highlight tool to simulate kind of a HDR effect. Also added a soft effect to it as well.

What do you think? :scratch

Shane245772354-L.jpg
www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 70-200L IS 2.8

Comments

• SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Tried pulling that blue haze out of the mountains.

245788045-L.jpg

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    I don't really like the treatment. The mountains and sky benefiit, but the foreground saturation kinda overpowers them. It's interesting technique, but looks too postcardy for my taste. Like you relegated the most beautiful mountain vista in North America (IMHO) to a supporting role.

You sure had a beautiful day. I'll bet you have some other shots we'd like to see.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited January 21, 2008
    Thanks for taking a look. There are others but not liking most of them. Very hazy the entire time we were there. I will stick to photographing sports and doing portraits instead of the landscape. Snowing and cold outside today so took the opportunity to use some slow time to play around.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    I'm a fan of using the "Orton" effect on certain shots and also the "Impressionistic" look too but this does seem to be just a bit overdone! What IMO really looks good with this shot, is to use the first shot, and desaturate it to B&W and I really like it that way. Maybe try it and see if you like it to. It makes everything very dramatic!
    Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    SitterS,

That's the spirit!!

If at first you don't succeed quit. :D

That said. I like the shot and subject, but don't feel the processing was the best choice. I do agree with OrvSal. Try B&W. I did a quick conversion, and think that rout has potential.

Sam
    edited January 21, 2008
    Actually I was working on converting to BW when I read your post. Here is the result.

245809228-L.jpg

OrvSal wrote:
    I'm a fan of using the "Orton" effect on certain shots and also the "Impressionistic" look too but this does seem to be just a bit overdone! What IMO really looks good with this shot, is to use the first shot, and desaturate it to B&W and I really like it that way. Maybe try it and see if you like it to. It makes everything very dramatic!

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited January 21, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    SitterS,

That's the spirit!!

If at first you don't succeed quit. :D

That said. I like the shot and subject, but don't feel the processing was the best choice. I do agree with OrvSal. Try B&W. I did a quick conversion, and think that rout has potential.

Sam

Sam,
    I guess I gave you the wrong impression of me. If you knew of all the charity and volunteer work I do with different organizations you would never associate my name with the word "quit". Geez, where did that even come from.

Landscapes are just not really my thing but I had some time today to try something different and came across these photos that I forgot about. Got a new photoshop user magazine, tried something different and put it out there. Thanks for the feedback though as it is appreciated.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • OrvSalOrvSal Registered Users Posts: 461 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    Thats more like I was seeing it! I enjoyed looking at your other images on your site, great work! I too have shots that I keep going back too until it comes out the way that image should be presented and it looks best. This shot has a lot going for it, keep working on it. :D
    Have a great day!
    Orv

Thomson, Ga. USA
    www.Osalisburyphoto.smugmug.com
    edited January 21, 2008
    OrvSal wrote:
    Thats more like I was seeing it! I enjoyed looking at your other images on your site, great work! I too have shots that I keep going back too until it comes out the way that image should be presented and it looks best. This shot has a lot going for it, keep working on it. :D

Thanks for taking a look at my site and appreciate the compliment. I like the BW as well on this pic or at least better than the color. I have seen many people do the HDR , Orton or whatever it is called and admire some of the photographers that are simply great at the technique. Always up for trying something new if I have a spare moment of time. What I really should be doing with my time is editing and processing all the other sports and family sessions that I have done recently so I can get them out the door :D

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited January 21, 2008
    SitterS wrote:
    Sam,
    I guess I gave you the wrong impression of me. If you knew of all the charity and volunteer work I do with different organizations you would never associate my name with the word "quit". Geez, where did that even come from.

Landscapes are just not really my thing but I had some time today to try something different and came across these photos that I forgot about. Got a new photoshop user magazine, tried something different and put it out there. Thanks for the feedback though as it is appreciated.

Shane

Shane,

Sorry...........:cry

I saw this in your post: "I will stick to photographing sports and doing portraits instead of the landscape."

I looked at your galleries and thought you had some nice work, but not really knowing you, I had no way of knowing if this was a literal statement or just a joke.

I posted back with my comments intending to tell you not to quit, attempting interject humor, and to let you know I liked the shot, just not the processing.

I put the grinning smiles face in to show I was kidding. Please don't make me eat more worms!!! :D

While good protein, and they won't gag a maggot, they still be nasty slimy wiggly things. :D

Sam
    edited January 21, 2008
    Not a problem Sam. I may be a little touchy today as well. Trying to coordinate some events for my sons PTO and we just don't get much parent involvement. Kind of sad. What is happening to todays world????? ne_nau.gif A little frustrated and may have directed towards you. All is forgiven and thank you for your response.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
    edited January 21, 2008
    :D
    SitterS wrote:
    Not a problem Sam. I may be a little touchy today as well. Trying to coordinate some events for my sons PTO and we just don't get much parent involvement. Kind of sad. What is happening to todays world????? ne_nau.gif A little frustrated and may have directed towards you. All is forgiven and thank you for your response.

Shane

Shane,

All is good. Much is lost when we try to communicate via the written word.

I have always said it's a good thing I can't write, because if I could, I would have never picked up a camera. :D

Sam
    edited January 21, 2008
    :D Have a good one.

Shane

Blogs:

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8