Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Nik: was messing around with the newest version, and while this isnt a new feature, I could not find any info on it from your website: 'Update sync tree". This actually put folders in my 'My Pictures' folder, whose name and hierarchy match my smugmug. Now, what can I do with this?

Can I add photos to the folders or create new folders with photos, and S*E will find them and upload for me?
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Nik: was messing around with the newest version, and while this isnt a new feature, I could not find any info on it from your website: 'Update sync tree". This actually put folders in my 'My Pictures' folder, whose name and hierarchy match my smugmug. Now, what can I do with this?

Can I add photos to the folders or create new folders with photos, and S*E will find them and upload for me?

It's like follows:
    1) Update sync tree. It will create a system of folders that match you SM structure.
    2) copy images to the pertinent folders
    3) select the account root in S*E tree and drag the root of the sync tree to S*E. All the images will be placed in a proper slots of the queue.

Play with it, you'll see what I mean.

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited October 28, 2007
    100,000+ hits!
    Another big threshold crossed for the Star*Explorer site: 100,000 hits and counting! wings.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    How to apply a license in Vista?
    I just built myself a new computer, installed Vista on it and am trying to transfer over all my programs from my old computer. I can't seem to get StarExplorer to recognize my license file. I put it in the same directory as StarExplorer.exe and run StarExplorer, but it never recognizes my license file. Thinking it might be a permissions issue (in the program files directory hierarchy), I tried running StarExplorer as adminstrator, but no difference. StarExplorer is working on a trial account now, but I can't get it to recognize my license file.

Any advice for how to do this on Vista?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited October 31, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I just built myself a new computer, installed Vista on it and am trying to transfer over all my programs from my old computer. I can't seem to get StarExplorer to recognize my license file. I put it in the same directory as StarExplorer.exe and run StarExplorer, but it never recognizes my license file. Thinking it might be a permissions issue (in the program files directory hierarchy), I tried running StarExplorer as adminstrator, but no difference. StarExplorer is working on a trial account now, but I can't get it to recognize my license file.

Any advice for how to do this on Vista?

There has been a change in license code to make it Vista compatible. The old one still works untill you use a new machine or do a full install.
    Shoot me an email, and I will send you the new style Vista-safe licenses.

HTH
    edited October 31, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    There has been a change in license code to make it Vista compatible. The old one still works untill you use a new machine or do a full install.
    Shoot me an email, and I will send you the new style Vista-safe licenses.

HTH

Email sent to support at starexplorer.com.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited October 31, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Email sent to support at startexplorer.com.
    Got it, thanks, license will follow tonight!
    edited November 4, 2007
    Here's an interesting bug/improvement you could make in StarExplorer. I recently upgraded to a 30" monitor. Now I run most of my apps in one corner of the screen except for Bridge which I spread out over the whole screen. I'm finding that a lot of apps put up prompts and progress indicators in the middle of the screen even though I'm running the app way over in the corner.

This is true of StarExplorer too. Whenever it prompts me for something, the prompt comes up in the middle of the screen, not in the middle of the StarExplorer window. When it puts up progress like logging-in status, that also comes up in the middle of the screen. It's certainly usable the way it is, but it sure looks funny when a progress window pops up in a location that isn't even in the same region of the screen as the app you're interacting with.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited November 4, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Here's an interesting bug/improvement you could make in StarExplorer. I recently upgraded to a 30" monitor. Now I run most of my apps in one corner of the screen except for Bridge which I spread out over the whole screen. I'm finding that a lot of apps put up prompts and progress indicators in the middle of the screen even though I'm running the app way over in the corner.

This is true of StarExplorer too. Whenever it prompts me for something, the prompt comes up in the middle of the screen, not in the middle of the StarExplorer window. When it puts up progress like logging-in status, that also comes up in the middle of the screen. It's certainly usable the way it is, but it sure looks funny when a progress window pops up in a location that isn't even in the same region of the screen as the app you're interacting with.

Thanks, John!

I hear what you're saying. Yes, that's true, the monitors got bigger these days. I will try to incorporate that into the next update....
    edited November 4, 2007
    Canon RAW Codec 1.2 for Vista
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=75570

Since I'm still on XP, I wonder if somebody with S*E trial or a valid Vista-safe .SEL license can check if S*E is now capable of converting .CR2 into .JPG under Vista? bowdown.gif

The acid test #1 is to add .CR2 to the list of acceptable file formats in Options|Upload, and then add a RAW file to the upload queue. If you highlight it and see an image - that's good news. Play with screen splitters and see it it scales up nicely - that's test #2.
    Finally, clear the queue, go to the Options|Conversion tabe, add .CR2 to the list of files to be automatically converted to JPEG, click OK and add a .CR2 file into queue again.
    If it's converted (shows as jpeg) - yay clap.gif , you just got yourself a new nifty tool to add to your Rawflow :-) deal.gif
    edited November 9, 2007
    Star*Explorer v.176
    John asked for the progress bar fix: done :-)

Also, image replace functionality wasn't working correctly if more than one previously uploaded image was added at a time (one by one was OK). Kinda broke the whole point.. Anyway, should be fixed now... deal.gif
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2007
    Nikolai:

I think my evaluation copy of Star*Explorer expired, so I'll have to ask here: S*E supports searching by Keywords, as well as Captions, yes?

So if you're displaying a view of all the photos across galleries with the keyword of "Noah", can you just "Select All" and choose to download the originals to your hard drive?

Also, to achieve this functionality, are you using the RSS feeds? Don [thread=75054]claims[/thread] that "Searching via the API has been there for years." But I have not been able to find this in the API.

Thanks!

--Darryl
    edited November 17, 2007
    darryl wrote:
    Nikolai:

I think my evaluation copy of Star*Explorer expired, so I'll have to ask here: S*E supports searching by Keywords, as well as Captions, yes?

So if you're displaying a view of all the photos across galleries with the keyword of "Noah", can you just "Select All" and choose to download the originals to your hard drive?

Also, to achieve this functionality, are you using the RSS feeds? Don [thread=75054]claims[/thread] that "Searching via the API has been there for years." But I have not been able to find this in the API.

Thanks!

--Darryl

Darryl,

1) yes, S*E supports searching by image keywords and/or captions (and few other things:-)
    2) no, search is not linked to the image download, although I can see this could be a cool feature, so thank you for the idea!
    3) no, it's not RSS-based. Yes, API has a lot to do with it, but there are non-API things that make S*E search fast and easy to use, wildcard search being just one of the things that no other tool/API has :-).

HTH
    edited November 17, 2007
    S*e 177
    Well, guess what! mwink.gif
    Darryl suggested a great idea to make Search results downloadable - and now they are. :ivar

If you run a search, you will notice that you can now download the albums/images found. It also allows you to download individual images, a feature that was not previously available. So if you need to download only some images for any album - search for the album name, include images into your search options, select the ones you want and hit Download Images button or select context menu command. Of course, all the download options are at your disposal.

Also: a minor bugfix for image replacement functionality: the replacement images were not shown properly in the queue preview.

Have a great Thanksgiving! iloveyou.gif
    edited December 2, 2007
    S*e 178
    New version is available. Statistics download fix plus minor UI improvements.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    Trouble Migrating from one Machine to another
    Howdy-

So I wanted to move Star*Explorer from one machine to another. However I get a license error. I think it might be because I changed my e-mail address on SmugMug. What should I do to get it working again?ne_nau.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited December 12, 2007
    Howdy-

So I wanted to move Star*Explorer from one machine to another. However I get a license error. I think it might be because I changed my e-mail address on SmugMug. What should I do to get it working again?ne_nau.gif

Brad, sorry about that, please drop me an email with the current singup info (acct/email) and I will send you a new license pronto..
    edited December 12, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Brad, sorry about that, please drop me an email with the current singup info (acct/email) and I will send you a new license pronto..

Nikolai-

As soon as I get away from work and to my personal machine I will send you that info.

Thanks.
    -=Bradford

edited December 12, 2007
    Nikolai-

As soon as I get away from work and to my personal machine I will send you that info.

Thanks.
    Kool! thumb.gif
    edited December 17, 2007
    Just to close the "ticket" so to speak. Nik got me sorted out. I can even run Star*Explorer using VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro running Leopard. It is pretty cool.clap.gif
    -=Bradford

edited December 17, 2007
    Just to close the "ticket" so to speak. Nik got me sorted out. I can even run Star*Explorer using VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro running Leopard. It is pretty cool.clap.gif
    Nice! :D
    Thanks for the followup, Brad! thumb.gif
  • tradbournetradbourne Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 21, 2007
    Star Explorer & VOIP QOS on DD-Wrt Router
    I share my Star Explorer upload bandwidth with a Voice Over IP line. When doing a large upload the telephone becomes useless. Conversations become garbled etc.

My router has DD-Wrt firmware, and I can set Quality of Service priorities for different traffic based on the ports used. It appears that Star Explorer uses the standard port 80 that is used for all web browsing. Is this correct?

I had hoped that it used port 20 or 21 like other FTP apps so that I could lower the priority. Here is what I am attempting to do

VOIP - Premium priority
    www - Standard Priority for web browsing
    ROES ftp torrents and Star Explorer - Low priority.

Any Ideas??
    edited December 21, 2007
    tradbourne wrote:
    I share my Star Explorer upload bandwidth with a Voice Over IP line. When doing a large upload the telephone becomes useless. Conversations become garbled etc.

My router has DD-Wrt firmware, and I can set Quality of Service priorities for different traffic based on the ports used. It appears that Star Explorer uses the standard port 80 that is used for all web browsing. Is this correct?

I had hoped that it used port 20 or 21 like other FTP apps so that I could lower the priority. Here is what I am attempting to do

VOIP - Premium priority
    www - Standard Priority for web browsing
    ROES ftp torrents and Star Explorer - Low priority.

Any Ideas??

Yes, absolutely. :D
    There is a bandwidth cap slider on the secondary (queue/upload) bar, as well as in options. IIRC it's fully available in trial and then becomes a part of the Power/Pro edition.
    Please let me know if you have any more questions/concerns.
    Thank you for trying Star*Explorer!thumb.gif
    edited December 23, 2007
    New Star*Explorer version uploaded: 179
    Some users experienced "handle in the wrong state" issue that would interrupt their uploads. While the root of the problem lies mostly outside of S*E grasp, I added a major switch that would allow S*E to automatically repeat an upload if there are still any (or a specified number) of files in the queue. So from now on you can just let it run and try untill it's al done.

This new version should also take care of the intermittent problem when S*E loses connection after some lengthy operations (multiple albums creation being one of them).

Please check the History and explore updated Options dialog (Connection tab) for the details.
    Merry Christmas! iloveyou.gif
    edited December 24, 2007
    Version 180 of Star*Explorer uploaded
    Arrgh... minor glitch in the "manual login" behaviour. Fixed.
    Merry Christmas! thumb.gif
    edited December 24, 2007
    Thanks for keeping this updated. Time to go download.
    -=Bradford

edited December 24, 2007
    Thanks for keeping this updated. Time to go download.
    Thanks Brad,
    but I hope you meant: time to upload with a new S*E mwink.gif!
    Cheers! 1drink.gif
    edited December 24, 2007
    Nik: any plans to support video upload? Tried uploading a basic video from the wife's P&S, and S*E b0rked on it.

I figured it would just upload the thing, with no attempt to convert...but no go. This happened to be an .avi from this camera, the other one does .mov.

Any chance you can offer the option to simply upload whatever file type I ask S*E to do, right or wrong?
    edited December 24, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Nik: any plans to support video upload? Tried uploading a basic video from the wife's P&S, and S*E b0rked on it.

I figured it would just upload the thing, with no attempt to convert...but no go. This happened to be an .avi from this camera, the other one does .mov.

Any chance you can offer the option to simply upload whatever file type I ask S*E to do, right or wrong?

Have you gone to the S*E preferences/upload screen and added *.avi to the allowable file types and then tried it. I don't "know" that that would work, but it sounds like it's worth a try. *.mpeg and *.mpg are already there.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited December 24, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Have you gone to the S*E preferences/upload screen and added *.avi to the allowable file types and then tried it. I don't "know" that that would work, but it sounds like it's worth a try. *.mpeg and *.mpg are already there.

Thanks John, you got it...althought I also had to raise the 'max file size' as well, since for video it is a huge limit, and S*E was refusing to upload it

I am uploading 30 sec to 1 min avi's and they are 50-118MB in size. Of course, this means I won't get warnings on jpegs now, so it might be useful to have a separate file size limit warning for video and jpeg.