Vietnam 2008 - Ha long - Ninh binh - Cuc phuong national park

Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
edited March 20, 2009 in Journeys
Hey guys!

I know its from a while back but i wanted to share it with you anyhow because Vietnam is such a wonderfull place. you can see previous parts here:

Part 1 Hanoi: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=103813
Part 2 Sa Pa: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=103726
part 3 Saigon: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=105997
part 4 Ha long - Cuc phuong: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=124298
part 5: Whale island - Hoi An - Mui Ne: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=124820
part 6: Dalat - Cu Chi - Mekong delta: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=126400

Vietnam 2008: Ha Long bay - Ninh Binh & Cuc Phuong national park

after returning from the beautifull landscapes of Sa Pa we headed for a boat trip around the Ha Long bay. Ha Long bay is an UNESCO world heritage site, and for good reasons! The area is dotted with thousands of karst rocks protruding from the sea creating small steep islands that also house some amazing caves. By taking a longer trip we could get away from the masses and most of the time we had the place to ourselves.

492540743_dPVr2-L.jpg
view over a part of Ha Long bay.

359732547_XgB7W-L.jpg
inside one of the karst rocks - the caves are huge and lit amazingly nice

As part of the trip we did a jungle trek over one of the larger islands. Jungle trekking on such steep hills in this part of the world is one the more exhausting things you can do. Halfway down the trek - and 3 liters of water lighter - i really started to hate myself for dragging my chunky camera around with me. :rofl

409045719_FkDEN-L.jpg
exhausted, but still able to smile. I couldnt keep this photo from you :D

besides the physical aspect you had to watch where you were walking, there were lots of slippery parts, loose rocks and large spiders hanging at heads height along the path.

359717118_wP8nf-L.jpg
one of many (!) local spiders - not precisely life size but close

After a while we came to the middle of the island where there was an opening in the jungle. A Vietnam veteran lived there with his family. He was allowed to live of the land if he maintained the trail. We stopped by his house and had some roasted peanuts and wild bananas to regain some energy.

359710123_mj9aV-L.jpg
Clearing in the center of the island

359715238_bkRwn-L.jpg
Vietnamese woman roasting peanuts

After the lunch we had to do a similar trek but then downhill, possibly even more exhausting then the first part. When we were finally down my shirt and trousers were drenched on every inch. A quick dive in the sea solved our over heating and a delicious lunch awaited when we came back. The remaining days were spent canoeing, swimming and drinking beer, playing the all american game 'asshole' with some of our american friends on the deck at night and sleeping in the open air under the stars.

439547096_WmetZ-L.jpg
A late night canoe trip

All things must come to an end so we had to get back and see more of beautifull Vietnam. Next up is Ninh Binh, a place south of Hanoi. Ninh Binh is also called Ha Long bay on land because its home to the same spectacular karst rocks as featured in Ha Long. These rocks are also filled with caves and you can take a boat trip along the river that takes you trough some caves as well.

366794314_cjSc4-L.jpg
View over ninh binh area, you can see the karst rocks, the rice paddies filled with water and small rivers flowing.

366813164_FZ3Gn-L.jpg
small oasis between the rocks - a local festivities area.

367325909_Y3neb-L.jpg
Boat trip between the karst rocks - the water was amazingly clear and the views were stunning.

Near Ninh Binh lies a big national park. We hired a motorcycle in ninh binh and drove there ourselfs (a terrifying experience with more near misses and trucks thundering by then i care to remember). We had arranged a stay in the center of the park - booking in advance as advised by the lonely planet guide we took with us. It turned out we were the only guests sleeping there. At first this sounded romantic but when at ten the electricity was cut off and we were alone in our room with only one small candle, no lock on the door, the nearest park ranger 25 km away and some shady figures hanging around rather suspiciously all i wanted to do was get the hell out of there. :uhoh We cut this part of the trip short but i dont want you to miss out on the shot because the park itself was beautifull. :thumb

367480294_D5qwH-L.jpg

large prehistoric cave that used to house cavemen. We were all alone in this cave and we ventured deep into the cave carying only two (flickering) flashlights. The atmosphere was breathtaking - beautifull and exciting at the same time.

outside the jungle was so deep and creatures so well camouflaged, you could stare into it from the same spot and keep seeing new things.

367485133_vYys5-L.jpg
Beautifull butterflies

367488793_YkFbT-L.jpg
A hawk on a branch

369928312_AW86U-L.jpg

the craziest catterpillar ive seen to date

Next time, Whale island and Hoi An! hope to post it soon :thumb
Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com

Comments

• coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Awesome photos, thanks for sharing! This is a place I plan to go someday. I've seen those orb-web spiders in Thailand, so I know what you mean about the size. :D Love this stuff!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2009
    thanks coldclimb!

By all means visit Vietnam, its a great country!

I enjoy watching your entries as well. Im just startkicking my climbing carreer... envious eyes on your posts mwink.gif
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Very nice. Your photos made me feel like I was there...how much better can it be than that. Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2009
    Wow
    Your photos are amazing. The views of Ha Long Bay and Ninh Binh make me want to go there, but I think the spider cured me of that.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2009
    Great job thanks for putting it up thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited March 20, 2009
    no... thank YOU!
    Thanks Ed911, T Bombadil and Awais! thumb.gif

It gives me a lot of pleasure knowing my photos enjoyed you for a moment! thumb.gif

I love putting up travellogues but they take so much time to put up.. eek7.gif just put a new part up - the second to last one - check it out.

Man.. putting up these shots makes me want to travel again.. worst part is my girlfriend is now in cambodia vistiting ankor wat and all and im stuck here in grey Netherlands working overtime.. :cry *snif.
    edited March 20, 2009
    Your photos are amazing. The views of Ha Long Bay and Ninh Binh make me want to go there, but I think the spider cured me of that.

rolleyes1.gif

I dont even know if they are poisonous or not, i only realise those kinds of things when i get back home. When travelling it all comes so naturally but home i wonder WHY i went walking barefoot through the jungle because i forgot my shoes*.. rolleyes1.gif

*malaysia