Tidal Basin Blossoms

Raina.RaeRaina.Rae Registered Users Posts: 205 Major grins
edited April 23, 2014 in Landscapes
Picture from the Washington DC Tidal Basin. Trying to determine if I should enter this one into the annual photo contest. Comments are welcome.

CherryBlossom-38-M.jpg

Comments

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2014
    I almost like this a whole lot, Heather. ;-) The way the tree comes up on the left and then bends over to the right just looks awkward to me. I might take a look at a crop that cuts off the left part - 1/4 of the way in or so, leaving most of the horizontal part of the branch coming in from the left edge of the photo to help frame the monument. It's a beautiful photo, and I love the look of the monument and its reflection, it's just the tree trunk on the left bothers me.

Let me add - you have some fantastic work on your site. I love shooting in and around Washington - there are so many great vantage points.
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2014
    As a person who has a strong appreciation for marvelous trees (my wife and I have constructed world-class zipline canopy tours), I can say that I LOVE this tree! Please please please keep it. So many cityscape shots use a tree, flower, pond, etc. to help showcase a structure. In this case, you've used a structure to help bring a beautiful tree into perspective. Great work!
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2014
    This is great. If the trunk was not so dominant as was stated it would be awesome IMHO. Bit it is still really nice!
  • Raina.RaeRaina.Rae Registered Users Posts: 205 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2014
    Thank you for the comments. I think if I loose the trunk of the tree the picture looses its essence. I wanted to focus on the whole tree because they are what 'roots' the tidal basin so to speak.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2014
    I like the shot. Maybe the flare elements can be cleaned up? One trick when shooting into glare is to stop down, f-16-f-22 will give a sun-star and adds to the shot. Another is to keep an eye on flare and try to hide it behind the branches....and if it deflects enough off of the branches it wont splinter into colorful octagons.

Love your shots of Chinese New Year's Parade. Cheers!
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2014
    I like it as-is also.
    I would suggest (as Taz did) working to remove the chromatic flares,
    and leveling the water surface - it looks (to me) to be dipping slightly to the right.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2014
    I like it as is. I don't mind the flare, I like flare sometimes if it doesn't obscure something key in the photo. As much as I like sun stars a smaller aperture and longer exposure might have blurred the monument reflection more than you might have gained from eliminating the flare.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2014
    JC wrote: »
    I like it as is. I don't mind the flare, I like flare sometimes if it doesn't obscure something key in the photo. As much as I like sun stars a smaller aperture and longer exposure might have blurred the monument reflection more than you might have gained from eliminating the flare.

Flare might add to shot sometimes, but in general people are fighting to minimize the imperfections. With bright sun, even with smaller aperture there is enough light to avoid long exposure and smoothing out the water. ISO can always be moved up and with latest gear and performance is rarely is the problem.