Options

Night stars and moon pano help

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited April 14, 2014 in Landscapes
I am planing on (for me ambitious) project to shoot a pano with stars and red moon tomorrow night. The attached photo is a quick shot on an overcast day of the location for reference.

i-wxPP8jM-M.jpg

My plan is to use my 24mm T/S lens with an anticipated tilt of 1 to 1 1/2 degrees forward tilt, at f11. Towards evening I will shoot the foreground. Then later the city lights.

Still later the stars, and moon. Here is where I am unsure. I want to use the the same set up without moving the camera or lens. I can change the aperture, ISO, and shutter speed via my lap to there by avoiding any physical touching of the setup. I plan on using f3.5 (wide open for this lens) at say ISO 1250 to 1600. Also set the focus at infinity.

I am however wondering if I should change the tilt to 0 degrees, or even maybe 1/2 degree negative tilt for the stars and moon shots.

Any thoughts from more experienced night photographer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Sam

Comments

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2014
    I know nothing of T/S lenses, Sam, but that sounds like it should be quite a photo. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2014
    Never used a T/S lens either, so can't help there. However, at f/3.5, you have to crank that ISO up quite a bit to keep your shutter under 30 seconds or you'll get the stars with trails. That is, of course, you're not wanting trails. The blending of the star shots may be tough. In my head, sounds like a pain but I may be wrong.

Sounds great!
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2014
    Excited to see your results! I hope we have clear skies for the 'tetrad'. clap.gif
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2014
    I don't have the knowledge to help you with your original question. I do want to raise a mini-concern....the photo you posted is pretty awesome...but at night time foreground may not have enough light so it might be better to get some recognizable elements like rock and trees or flowers in foreground so even as silhouettes they fill it up. Also if there is ability to zoom from this vantage point....then areas of light...city, stars, moon....might come closer with zoom....avoiding darker foreground....JMO
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I don't have the knowledge to help you with your original question. I do want to raise a mini-concern....the photo you posted is pretty awesome...but at night time foreground may not have enough light so it might be better to get some recognizable elements like rock and trees or flowers in foreground so even as silhouettes they fill it up. Also if there is ability to zoom from this vantage point....then areas of light...city, stars, moon....might come closer with zoom....avoiding darker foreground....JMO

This is view is part of a local 3800 acre ranch, and has special meaning for the owner, hence the location is pretty much fixed although I can play with the focal length and field of view.

The idea of a foreground element and / or silhouette is a good one, but can't be done for this image.

The bad news is the weather is not cooperating. :cry Looks like this will need to be postponed until we can get a clear, no haze or clouds forecast.

As for the foreground I intend to shoot that earlier in the evening when there is some light.

Sam
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2014
    Thanks for all your replies. I spent yesterday packing up everything but the kitchen sink, and reading up on night and T/S photography.

Such is the plans of mice and men.

We are going to watch the weather and definitely try this at a later time. Days or weeks. Who knows.

Sam