Bloodless moon from Northern California

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited April 16, 2014 in Landscapes
Qarik is my friend/Guru so don't think he would mind the title! :D

I should have headed South.....but headed north from my home...I knew moon was straight up in the sky and had to find a location where POV was low and looking up at the moon with zoom lens so effective focal lengths line up and earth elements and moon are both in focus. Headed to my favorite rock cropping but couldn't get close due to crashing waves, so had to change plans. Still determined to incorporate earth elements into the blood-moon shot. Initially despite fog and clouds, moon and couple of stars were visible, but right after eclipse, cloud cover ate them all.

Tried to make most of the outing and give night exposures a try. Especially since there were other blood-moon enthusiasts on the beach, lighting up camp fires! Learned important lesson that I want to share. At night the LCD is really bright and you can see everything, but once you load it on your computer and you find underexposed shots. So expose-to-the-right anyway, and it is even more true for night shots. You can always pull highlights but brightening dark areas is a questionable endeavor.

Below are my attempts - all helpful pointers appreciated:

1) Bloodless moon right before the eclipse

1W7A3409-XL.jpg

2) Weather coming in and camp fires lighting up - hoped to create impression it was night time

1W7A3408-XL.jpg

3) Couple of stars that were there are also gone...

1W7A3417-XL.jpg

4) Got behind the fires for another POV - didn't go for b&W because on my monitor the glow looked nice

1W7A3426-XL.jpg

Cheers!

Comments

• duff65duff65 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2014
    I like the 1st campfire shot
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2014
    duff65 wrote: »
    I like the 1st campfire shot

Glad you liked it! Thanks!
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2014
    I agree - the first campfire shot is very good.
    edited April 15, 2014
    moose135 wrote: »
    I agree - the first campfire shot is very good.

Thanks!!
    edited April 16, 2014
    Amazing shots! I really like your campfire capturing style.

Thanks Christina! Campfires saved the trip! Cheers!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2014
    Hi guy,

Too bad the weather snookered you. As usual, you still find a way to generate some interesting shots. The campfire work came out really well.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2014
    the photos you got are great. Interesting to see people watching the moon! Looks like their view was a bit obscured too. Very nice!
  • JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2014
    I like these shots. I really love that you found treasure in the campfire folk, instead of being angry at them for being in your shot. lol

I think I'd love to see some of these a little less exposed. As they appear (on my screen anyhow), it seems as though it's dusk, and the fires are just starting. I love the long exposure effect shown in the surf, so maybe choke the Fstop a little? I dunno...never shot this type of scene before, and I wasn't there to play along, so who knows. lol
    edited April 16, 2014
    Hi guy,

Too bad the weather snookered you. As usual, you still find a way to generate some interesting shots. The campfire work came out really well.

Take care,

Tom

Thank Tom! Much appreciate it! Mh name is Mumtaz....friends call me Taz.:D
    Eia wrote: »
    the photos you got are great. Interesting to see people watching the moon! Looks like their view was a bit obscured too. Very nice!

Thank Anna! Have to try other direction next time to see how South does....so far we are 0/2...remember Super Moon? I went to Pinnacles National Monument, climbed 1500 feet with gear, and was waiting on top alone, 5 miles deep in complete darkness and cold and got nicest thick cloud cover you have ever seen! Phoenix got nice evenings for sure! Cheers!
    I like these shots. I really love that you found treasure in the campfire folk, instead of being angry at them for being in your shot. lol

I think I'd love to see some of these a little less exposed. As they appear (on my screen anyhow), it seems as though it's dusk, and the fires are just starting. I love the long exposure effect shown in the surf, so maybe choke the Fstop a little? I dunno...never shot this type of scene before, and I wasn't there to play along, so who knows. lol

Thanks JBR! Agree with CC and I too get the same dusk-y sensation myself. Determined to get details and real night.....combination is bit tricky.....will get there eventually!
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2014
    I like the last camp image. The three lights, the lines and the transition from light to dark.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 16, 2014
    15524779-Ti.gifclap.gif
    edited April 16, 2014
    I like the last camp image. The three lights, the lines and the transition from light to dark.

Thanks Phil! I appreciate your feedback and am delighted about the fact that I noticed exact same details, causing me to put that shot in keeper category.
    kdog wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gifclap.gif

Thanks kdog! Will bug you soon...! Cheers!