Options

Blood Moon

bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
edited April 16, 2014 in Landscapes
Here's my version of last night's blood moon shot from my backyard in Prescott, AZ.

Blood%20Moon%202013-3%282%29-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2014
    a little noisy in the dark areas but well captured!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2014
    Yes, I had the ISO cranked up to give me fast enough shutter to stop the moon. Ah, the trade offs we have to play with. :-)

Thanks
  • Options
    JeffC230JeffC230 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2014
    noise schmoise, I think its great! good shot!
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
    http://www.photospaced.com
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2014
    What focal length / sensor did you use, and what shutter speed did you require in order to stop the moon from "moving" in the photo? This is really clear and very close!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2014
    What focal length / sensor did you use, and what shutter speed did you require in order to stop the moon from "moving" in the photo? This is really clear and very close!

=Matt=

Hi Matt,

Thanks.

I normally like to use a wide open F2.8 lens but my longest F2.8 is only a 200mm. For this shot I improvised. headscratch.gif

I used my EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L lens with X1.4 teleconverter so the focal length ended up being 560mm. But that combo gave me a max open aperture of F8. Not optimal for night shooting but I wanted the reach. The body was a Canon 5D MKIII.

Once the eclipse was near full and the moon dimmed down to the blood moon I was shooting with ISO 3200 and ISO 6400. This shot was at 6400 and the shutter ended up being .3 seconds.

This was just a quick processing this morning to grab a decent image. I need to go back and see what I have at ISO 3200 and different exposures. I may be able to find a cleaner one.

Also it appears in your face because I cropped the imaged down to let the moon fill more of the image. I kow lots of folks don't like cropped images for shots like this but it works for me. :D
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2014
    Here is a version a bit earlier at ISO 3200 for 1 second. Cleaner but the additional sunlight still hitting the moon takes away from it for me.

Blood%20Moon%202013-4-XL.jpg
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2014
    It may be less bloody, but IMO better picture. More crisp, less noisy, better comp'd, more stars to give it more celestial feeling and more pop. Hope you take that as a compliment Brad!thumb.gifD
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2014
    Input is always welcome. Thanks

Maybe I shouldn't try processing an image early in the morning after little sleep. rolleyes1.gif

I wish I had a full eclipse image taken at ISo 3200. Much easier to clean up. Sadly I don't. :cry
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2014
    I went back and gave it my best shot to clean the first image up. This is the best I can get out of it.

Blood%20Moon%202013-3-XL.jpg

The second image I posted above at ISO 3200 is now my favorite. This one just doesn't have the clarity I was going for.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2014
    Very nice, Brad. I really like the second image. Well done.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2014
    Great job of reprocessing first image....now I am torn!!
  • Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2014
    Both are great. I like the re-processed one best in MHO.