Options

Chrysotoxum bicinctum

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,378 Major grins
edited June 26, 2016 in Holy Macro
This is one of several hoverflies in handsome black with intense yellow markings. The two broad bands of yellow on the abdomen are diagnostic. The very narrow yellow band between the other two seems to vary in being present or not.

This species (up to 1cm long) is widespread and can occasionally be seen in gardens. It does not like to be approached and usually flies a considerable distance (many paces) before settling again. I had seen this one in my garden but it had gone by the time I had my camera. I next found it (if it was the same individual) some fifty feet away.

Comparing the images will reveal how getting some nearby foliage behind the antennae and/or wings shows the details better than with the dark background (which has had shadow relief). The bonus from trying different angles of view is often a functional stereo pair. This crosseye pair was not shot as such. (The area around the right wing in not comfortable to view).

EM-1, Kiron f16, twin TTL flash, hand-held.

Harold

1318047.jpg

1318048.jpg

1318049.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2016
    Good find Harold - never seen this one
    Brian V.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2016
    Good find Harold - never seen this one
    Brian V.

Thanks, Brian.

The long grass where you find some of your bugs may be a place to watch out for them. They like umbellifers, not that I have any, apart from a token plant.

Harold
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2016
    Having now found images of a female, photographed four days earlier, I now wish to distinguish this as a male. The images of the female will be posted tomorrow.

Harold