Options

"History" shot

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited August 30, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
This was my entry on a small non-photo related board with an assignment titled "History". Hoping to step aside from comments/thoughts over there, I'd like to know thoughts on this one from a photographic community. Do you see "History" in the image? What could have been done differently if anything jumps out at you.

i-mmMdhXM-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited August 23, 2014
    I can definitely see the historical aspect of your photo.

My only comment would be a more even light and pull back a bit so we can take more of the image in.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2014
    Hey Scott,

I get history from your image, but if I may, a little critique since you asked:

In still life shots, you are the total master of the set. Lighting, arrangement, perspective, etc.

I might suggest that you arrange your set to lead the viewers eye specifically where you want it to go. The main focus of the image, so to speak. You can also do this with lighting.

As your image is, I can find no focus point, and I'm not talking about actual camera focus. My eye just randomly moves over the image, ultimately winding up down at the bottom on the envelope. Why, because that's the most contrasting thing in the image, which draws your eye there.

Is the envelope your "focal" point, or anchor of this image?

If not, then use the techniques mentioned to direct our eyes where you want them to go.

Hope that helps...
    Randy
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2014
    What Randy said.

Sam
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2014
    Thank you for the comments! Makes perfect sense when you point out the areas for improvement.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 30, 2014
    rwells wrote: »
    Hey Scott,

I get history from your image, but if I may, a little critique since you asked:

In still life shots, you are the total master of the set. Lighting, arrangement, perspective, etc.

I might suggest that you arrange your set to lead the viewers eye specifically where you want it to go. The main focus of the image, so to speak. You can also do this with lighting.

As your image is, I can find no focus point, and I'm not talking about actual camera focus. My eye just randomly moves over the image, ultimately winding up down at the bottom on the envelope. Why, because that's the most contrasting thing in the image, which draws your eye there.

Is the envelope your "focal" point, or anchor of this image?

If not, then use the techniques mentioned to direct our eyes where you want them to go.

Hope that helps...

15524779-Ti.gif