point and shoot single exposure HDR

kingwiththeax1kingwiththeax1 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited July 23, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
after seeing all the hdr shots on here i decided to give it a try. i know, i know, you can't do an hdr shot with a point and shoot but i thought i would try it anyways. i know they are not even close to what an hdr should look like but i thought i would share anyways. let me know what you think.

original shot
930444643_HeEMJ-M-3.jpg

first try
944277823_oiw3N-M-2.jpg

my favorite
944292197_DSEcQ-M.jpg

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    Are you sure headscratch.gif you didn't get these posted backwards, because the first sure looks more like the HDR, better one, to me.ne_nau.gif.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • kingwiththeax1kingwiththeax1 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    the first pic is the original and by far the best. the second was the first attempt at merging into hdr via photoshop. i think it looks terrible. the third pic was my last attempt at it and then adjusted in curves. i like that one the most out of all the hdr attempts i did. maybe i'm doing something wrong or it just doesn't like a point and shoot type photo.
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    after seeing all the hdr shots on here i decided to give it a try. i know, i know, you can't do an hdr shot with a point and shoot but i thought i would try it anyways.

What do you mean you can't do an HDR with a point and shoot? I have done hundreds of them with my Sony H20 before I got my D300s. You can do HDR with ANY camera that will bracket your shots. It doesn't matter if it's a point and shoot or a $5000 DSLR.

0-sonycy.jpg
  • kingwiththeax1kingwiththeax1 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    What do you mean you can't do an HDR with a point and shoot? I have done hundreds of them with my Sony H20 before I got my D300s. You can do HDR with ANY camera that will bracket your shots. It doesn't matter if it's a point and shoot or a $5000 DSLR.

0-sonycy.jpg

my apologies. i was just going by what i read on some hdr websites. they implied that you couldn't do a nice single shot hdr with a point and shoot since you can't capture it in raw. i'm using a sony cybershot DSC-W330. it doesn't appear to have bracketing abilities. hopefully i will be upgrading to a nikon d5000 soon. can you post some of your hdr shots so i can see how it should look with a point and shoot?
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2010
    my apologies. i was just going by what i read on some hdr websites. they implied that you couldn't do a nice single shot hdr with a point and shoot since you can't capture it in raw. i'm using a sony cybershot DSC-W330. it doesn't appear to have bracketing abilities. hopefully i will be upgrading to a nikon d5000 soon. can you post some of your hdr shots so i can see how it should look with a point and shoot?

That is true that most point and shoot cameras will not do RAW. Most people make HDR from 2 or more bracketed photos though. I personally can never get a shot to look quite right when made from a single RAW file and it's better to bracket exposures. There are some guys here who do beautiful work from a single file but most of us can't do nearly as well.

It doesn't matter if it's a point and shoot camera or not. That has absolutely nothing to do with it. Using my Nikon D300S is no different than using your point and shoot. I shoot in jpeg.... just like you. Jpeg is Jpeg and it doesn't matter where it came from. What you need is a camera that will bracket your shots... and the D5000 likely will do that for you.