Interspecies Romance

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited November 30, 2014 in Wildlife
There was a solitary exotic Mandarin duck at the LA County Arboretum this past weekend, and he was sure trying to integrate, as it were. (C&C welcome)

Like the peacocks, he was strutting around like he was hot stuff.
1)
i-Tx2NPTJ-L.jpg

2)
i-qMv5KQj-L.jpg

3)
i-n46KHg3-L.jpg

And he had a girl

4) suitably chaperoned
i-KT4tVRh-L.jpg

5) following her everywhere
i-zLNtZsD-L.jpg

But it was a Wood duck hen he was stalking

6)
i-ZCCNHfx-L.jpg

7)
i-rTfwNGr-L.jpg

But it didn't look like she minded.

8)
i-xZmFfzf-L.jpg

Gorgeous bird

9)

i-CQTcHHX-L.jpg

Different species, same Genus. Someone will have to go back next year for me and see if there are any funky looking hybrids strutting around.

Late afternoon, right before they closed, and the light on the water was amazing, even if it was a little dark.

I'm still trying to get the hang of live action with m43. The autofocus on the E-m5 is more miss than hit, which doesn't bother me for astro or landscapes, but it's tough for wildlife. I actually have better luck with my old OM manual focus lenses, because I have some bright large aperture ones. F/6.7 at 300mm just isn't cutting it very well. I've got a big white lens, but after hauling my little white lens up to the top of White Mountain and Whitney, I've sworn to never do that again, so I really want to get the hang of using this system in the field. For macro shots and portraits and astro I'm really happy, it's wildlife and BIF that are not coming together for me yet.
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2014
    Saw similar behaviour at my local venue a couple of yrs ago ... a male, trying to impress a small group of female mallard. Mr Google seems to suggest that issue from a liaison is possible, but it'll be sterile.

I have no idea of the (details of the) environment, but if it's a regular /local destination ... I'd be looking for ways to get down to their eye level ... as you'd expect me to suggest ... especially with light as in 6 - 9 :)

pp
  • Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2014
    I've known Mallards to mate with anything including lawn chairs, never seen this before though.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2014
    Can't go wrong with Mandarins!!
    Great series!
    Saw once one in WILD. Almost drove off the road. Couldn't find a place to pull over. Still have nightmares about it!rolleyes1.gif
  • Dennis KaczorDennis Kaczor Registered Users Posts: 2,413 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2014
    I always love seeing these birds and are on my life list to capture one day....Still looking.