An Egret Couple and a couple of Herons

gaylenickgaylenick Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited June 3, 2005 in Wildlife
Hi All!

Just a few photos from the past couple of weeks.

An Egret Couple

23709131-M.jpg

23710223-M.jpg

A hungry Heron -

23674311-M.jpg

Heron Headshot -

23715794-M.jpg

I hope everyone had a great Holiday weekend and look forward to a summer of great photos, here on dGrin.

Gayle

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Just excellent series thumb.gif
    Love the food :eat shot clap.gif
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2005
    Wonderful, Gayle, just wonderful!

ginger, even the fish looks great.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Great series thumb.gif The heron with the fish is a real catch :D

regards
    alan
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Marvelous Gayle. The snowy egrets shots are excellent. The GBH's catch shot is specail. I wish I had taken that one. ylsuper.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • gaylenickgaylenick Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Ben -

Thank you for the thumbs up on my egrets and herons. I had never tried to or thought about photographing birds and wildlife until I started lurking on dGrin. Talk about addictive and...there is such a variety to chose from.

Gayle
    bfjr wrote:
    Just excellent series thumb.gif
    Love the food :eat shot clap.gif
    edited June 2, 2005
    Ginger -

Thank you for the nice comments on my birds. I always watch for your post and it is great to hear from you.

Gayle
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Wonderful, Gayle, just wonderful!

ginger, even the fish looks great.
    edited June 2, 2005
    Alan

Thank you for the great comments. I took the picture of the heron with the fish, off a little foot bridge over a small lake. People were throwing pieces of bread to the little fish in the lake and that heron was having a picnic. He was the only bird around and would just wade into the school of fish and grab dinner. That heron put on quite a show, people would clap for him when he finally swallowed a fish.

Gayle
    BigAl wrote:
    Great series thumb.gif The heron with the fish is a real catch :D

regards
    alan
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Great set.thumb.gif
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    Very cool shots, love those first two

Ed
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2005
    How close are you when you take those? I have egrets and herons that I was trying to photograph today but they weren't as close as they needed to be to get any excellent shots like those... I do not have a telephoto lens yet, suppose that might help...

Hope you can give advice for someone aspiring to eventually take pictures like those :)
    edited June 3, 2005
    Harry -

Your comments on my shots make me feel great. Especially, the comment on the GBH shot. Every time I look at one of your post, I think I wish I could do that. The great thing about that is, it encourages me to go out and try new things with my camera.

Gayle

Harryb wrote:
    Marvelous Gayle. The snowy egrets shots are excellent. The GBH's catch shot is specail. I wish I had taken that one. ylsuper.gif
    edited June 3, 2005
    Khaos,

Thank you for the comments!

Gayle
    Khaos wrote:
    Great set.thumb.gif
    edited June 3, 2005
    Ed,

Thank you!

Gayle
    ehughes wrote:
    Very cool shots, love those first two

Ed
    edited June 3, 2005
    Shima

I wish I had a story of elaborate lenses and camera settings to tell you about the egret shots. But, here is the truth. I shoot with a Sony F828. No special lenses, no photoshop on the computer, just iPhoto. I can get close to the birds, because I live near a large rookery. There are boardwalks through out the rookery, and the birds are used to photographers. They pretty much ignore us.

My advice, from someone who is very much still learning. Follow the forum, check out photography magazines and books, look for shots you really like and try to figure out how you can make them happen. (Maybe not the exact same shot, but lighting and composition, with a subject of your choosing). Don't be afraid to try out all the settings and gadgets on your camera. From my experience so far, you can't hurt a camera by trying new things. The neat thing about digital is you can delete the photo if you don't like it and you have all the information stored with the photo if you do.

Best of luck with your school. Take pictures when you get a chance and share them in August.

Gayle

Shima wrote:
    How close are you when you take those? I have egrets and herons that I was trying to photograph today but they weren't as close as they needed to be to get any excellent shots like those... I do not have a telephoto lens yet, suppose that might help...

Hope you can give advice for someone aspiring to eventually take pictures like those :)
  • MacHeadCaseMacHeadCase Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2005
    Gorgeous! Wow! The detail is stunning! clap.gif