Options

Golden Faun

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited July 25, 2014 in Wildlife
Sometimes you just get lucky. I arrived at Big Meadow (in the Shenandoah National Park) just before sunrise and set up just outside the tree line hoping to catch some shots as the deer moved into the meadow to graze. This young faun approached and remained just inside the tree line. As she moved into an opening in the brush right in front of me the rising sun illuminated her beautifully.

JMP_8409DSC_7556%206a%201_cr_sm_72dpi_2-X2.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2014
    clap.gif Uhhhh.... WOW & WOW !! bowdown.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2014
    Hi John, good light and good catch! I would love to see it in black and white, simply because of the way light is working. The golden aspect is nice, but I think monochrome may take it to another level. Depends on the processing too. You may not have details available on right side of the face.....but it might be worth it to see if localized bring-up in shadows gives just a teeny bit more.....without becoming grainy. Cheers!
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2014
    Earache wrote: »
    clap.gif Uhhhh.... WOW & WOW !! bowdown.gif

Thanks so much Eric. Glad you enjoyed it.

Jack
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Hi John, good light and good catch! I would love to see it in black and white, simply because of the way light is working. The golden aspect is nice, but I think monochrome may take it to another level. Depends on the processing too. You may not have details available on right side of the face.....but it might be worth it to see if localized bring-up in shadows gives just a teeny bit more.....without becoming grainy. Cheers!

I'm sure the raw image could produce details on the shaded area of the face, and I considered bringing them out. However I made the decision to leave it shadowed to emphasize the sunlit side. I'll have a go at it and if I like it I'll post it up.
    I like your suggestion on the B&W and will do the conversion and post it when done.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

Jack
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2014

It almost never happens Taz, :D but I respectfully, completely, disagree with your comments... you know I love B&W, but, imo, this image is just perfect as-is. I would not
    want to miss the golden, creme, and tan tones... and, as far as the light and shadow goes, I think this image is all about what's in the light, and not what's in the shadow. jmo, of course.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2014
    It almost never happens Taz, :D but I respectfully, completely, disagree with your comments... you know I love B&W, but, imo, this image is just perfect as-is. I would not
    want to miss the golden, creme, and tan tones... and, as far as the light and shadow goes, I think this image is all about what's in the light, and not what's in the shadow. jmo, of course.

Don't knock it before you have tried it!:D
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2014
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    I'm sure the raw image could produce details on the shaded area of the face, and I considered bringing them out. However I made the decision to leave it shadowed to emphasize the sunlit side. I'll have a go at it and if I like it I'll post it up.
    I like your suggestion on the B&W and will do the conversion and post it when done.
    Thanks for your suggestions.

John, I thought that was on purpose......the darkened right side...I do love it....only thought just a little hint.....a whiff of details might work better. Great shot nonetheless!
  • Options
    Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2014
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2014
    While you folks were exchanging comments and suggestions I was busily trying out SB's suggestions. I must admit I went into the exercise with a strong bias toward the image in my post. Here is the original capture (converted to jpg from raw with no adjustments)

JMP_8407_orig%4072-XL.jpg

I did try a B+W conversion (didn't like it) and I am a big fan of B&W. Also tried opening up the shadows but then the image just becomes yet another faun. I feel that the image I ultimately produced is faithful to the original (albeit enhanced) and that was what I was aiming for.

You are quite correct here.
    Don't knock it before you have tried it!:D
    John, I thought that was on purpose......the darkened right side...I do love it....only thought just a little hint.....a whiff of details might work better. Great shot nonetheless!

Hi SB Don't ever hold back suggestions for improvement. I value your considerable expertise (though I won't always agree with it) :D That's how we learn isn't it?

Jack
  • Options
    Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2014
    I liked the original best Jack, photograph it as ya see it. The lighting in the original made it appear that the fawn just stepped out of the shadows into the soft morning sun.

Spinner
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2014
    I liked the original best Jack, photograph it as ya see it. The lighting in the original made it appear that the fawn just stepped out of the shadows into the soft morning sun.

Spinner

Thanks for looking Spinner and for sharing your philosophy of recording what you see. Our philosophies and our approaches to photography differ and that's not a bad thing. For my part I choose to present my subjects in the most attractive and appealing fashion possible. Just as a portrait photographer chooses a pleasant backdrop and insures that the subject's appearance is flattering, the hair's combed and the makeup just so, I try to present my subject in the most attractive manner that I can. I thoroughly enjoy the post production process of creating art through photography.

Jack
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2014
    Hi John, it won't let me quote your reply properly.....I look at this from my home monitor....looks glorious. Just because of the light, it did excite me about monochrome possibilities.
    As for recording what you see.......unless we take pictures with our eyes....it is hard to do!
    Cheers!