What's up with the back button?

Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
edited August 7, 2011 in SmugMug Support
I just realized that when you view a photo in the lightbox and then close it to get back to the gallery, if you then click the back button you're not taken back to the original category but instead it opens up the lightbox again and displays the same photo. Is there any way to change this? It's really annoying and I want to take the breadcrumb off of my portfolio galleries, but this is making that impractical. Plus it's just plain confusing for people who are used to normal lightboxes on other sites that just open and close and don't affect your back button navigation.

Comments

• Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    I just realized that it does this with each photo even if you don't open up the lightbox. As far as I recall it didn't use to work that way. It's really awful.
    edited July 30, 2011
    What's up with the back button?
    I've noticed that after clicking on an image in a gallery or opening an image in the lightbox, if you click the back button on the browser you just end up cycling back through everything you just viewed. I'm pretty sure that in the past hitting the back button would take you back out of the gallery to the category page, or back to a previous gallery page if there were more than one.

Was this change intentional? It severely hampers site navigation and causes confusion when using the lightbox. It also forces use of the breadcrumb to keep navigation reasonable. I really hope it's just a bug that can be fixed...
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2011
    Try it in a gallery without custom lightbox code like you have. So try here:
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/Galleries/Wild-Utah/2907824_5WhED#156640337_kTtfP
    edited July 30, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Try it in a gallery without custom lightbox code like you have. So try here:
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/Galleries/Wild-Utah/2907824_5WhED#156640337_kTtfP

Andy, it does it in your gallery too. I actually checked it on another person's smugmug site before I posted to make sure. And it does it for me in Firefox and in Chrome, so I don't see how it could be a browser issue.
    edited July 31, 2011
    Also behaves this way for me in IE 8, on my site and yours.
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Also behaves this way for me in IE 8, on my site and yours.

I think it's always been this way. They're all different URLs so I don't see how the browser could treat it any differently.

Malte
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2011
    Andy, it does it in your gallery too. I actually checked it on another person's smugmug site before I posted to make sure. And it does it for me in Firefox and in Chrome, so I don't see how it could be a browser issue.

OK thanks just wanted to make sure it wasn't something with your special code you've installed.
    edited July 31, 2011
    Malte wrote: »
    I think it's always been this way. They're all different URLs so I don't see how the browser could treat it any differently.

Malte

I don't think it used to be like this. I also found this post by jfriend where he seems to think it's some part of the new design:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1624114&highlight=thoughts+design#post1624114

At the end of the "For novice viewers" section:
    Gallery Navigation goes in the browser Back Button. This never used to be the case. Now, when I just move through a gallery, every image I see is in the back button state for the browser. That means that the old click-flow of open a gallery, navigate around in it, then hit Back to go back to the category no longer works. Is this intentional because it's a pretty big paradigm change? Is it better this way? I'm don't think so. I don't think I want every single image I view to go into my browser back state.

So is this part of the new design or not?
    edited July 31, 2011
    I don't think it used to be like this. I also found this post by jfriend where he seems to think it's some part of the new design:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1624114&highlight=thoughts+design#post1624114

At the end of the "For novice viewers" section:

So is this part of the new design or not?

I'm not quite sure about the lightbox views, but every photo viewed has been part of the back tracing for as long as I can remember.

Malte
    edited August 5, 2011
    I'm not quite sure about the lightbox views, but every photo viewed has been part of the back tracing for as long as I can remember.

Malte

This seems to have been resolved now. Strange, has been that way forever. headscratch.gif

Malte
    edited August 6, 2011
    This seems to have been resolved now. Strange, has been that way forever. headscratch.gif

Malte

What has been resolved? Nothing has changed for me since I first posted this.
    edited August 6, 2011
    What has been resolved? Nothing has changed for me since I first posted this.

I must have been testing with the new beta gallery style when I saw it corrected, sorry for the confusion.

Malte
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2011
    I've noticed that after clicking on an image in a gallery or opening an image in the lightbox, if you click the back button on the browser you just end up cycling back through everything you just viewed. I'm pretty sure that in the past hitting the back button would take you back out of the gallery to the category page, or back to a previous gallery page if there were more than one.

Was this change intentional? It severely hampers site navigation and causes confusion when using the lightbox. It also forces use of the breadcrumb to keep navigation reasonable. I really hope it's just a bug that can be fixed...

Tim,
    That's the way it worked for years. Each photo you click in a gallery, is a new link to your browser. It's like browsing any other html page where you have links and can go back to the previous link with the browser's back button.

To my knowledge you cannot rig the browser back button to back out of a gallery that you have been browsing extensively without hitting back as many times as you browsed photos.
    If you don't have breadcrumbs, you could only try adding parts of the breadcrumb to allow access to the (sub)category.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero