Premiere and Ripple Delete

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited October 22, 2011 in Video
Premiere has the really useful feature called ripple delete. When you delete a clip if carefully slide the clips bhind it on all tracks to replace the clip that is gone. However, and this is a good thing, when multiple tracks are involved sometimes it won't do the ripple delete because it would make a clip on another track clobber one to it's left. Here is an example:

i-BVvwjVW-X2.png

Is there a way to do a ripple delete that doesn't affect the other tracks? That is one that would let me delete the audio clip like I have done here, and then slide all the clips to it's right on that track as far as it can to the left like ripple delete does?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    Dan, are you saying you cannot simply slide that track thats left over to the left in the timeline once the other is deleted?
    tom wise
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    No, you can just slide it over, and if snap is turn on it's really easy to line up.

However when you slide the clip over by hand the clips to the right do not follow, unless you first go and select them all.

Ripple delete does all this in one click, but is slides all clips on all tracks to the left, but only as far as they can go without bumping into each other. It really handy when you take a slice out across all the tracks.

But, and maybe I should change my workflow. I record my audio separate from my video... and my video is mostly stills. Then I drop all the audio and video on the track in order.

Then I fix up the audio, cut out the mistakes that sort of thing. That's where I would like to just clip out a bit of audio and have everything else on the track behind it shift to the left.

After I finish the audio fixup, I get the video aligned where it needs to be then usually add a bunch of animations on top of that.

Clear? maybe not :D

angevin1 wrote: »
    Dan, are you saying you cannot simply slide that track thats left over to the left in the timeline once the other is deleted?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »

I get what you mean, but I only work in FCP. In FCP7 ripple delete just won't work if there are other things on other tracks. I think you'd have to deal with this manually.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »

Yeah, clear. And I do not know of any other way to do what you wish were simple other than like you said, select each piece and do it manually.
    tom wise
    edited October 22, 2011
    I kinda' thought that is what I would have to do, but I haven't learned the secret of fire on Premiere, so I though I would check to see if I had missed something. But it is something I can fix by changing my workflow to fix up all the audio before I drop any video on the tracks.

Thanks
    DavidTO wrote: »
    I get what you mean, but I only work in FCP. In FCP7 ripple delete just won't work if there are other things on other tracks. I think you'd have to deal with this manually.
    edited October 22, 2011
    Thanks, that will save me from tilting at windmills for the rest of the afternoon thumb.gif
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Yeah, clear. And I do not know of any other way to do what you wish were simple other than like you said, select each piece and do it manually.