email that is linked to my domain name???

naturephotoznaturephotoz Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited September 29, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Can I have an email account that is "myname@mydomain.com" ?? I purchased a smugmug domain through Godaddy and I tried to set up my webmail through my domain name at the Godaddy site but it says "pending setup: Validating MX record" So I contacted someone at Godaddy and this is their abbreviated response...

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Unfortunately as you currently have your domain mapped to point towards your SmugMug site you will not be able to use your email with us. You will either need to ask SmugMug support if they have an email interface you can use there, or you will need to forward your domain through more traditional means and setup your CNAMES and MX Records to point towards us so that your email will function.

Please use the following instructions to set your domain up to use our email system if there isn't an email interface at SmugMug.

The following are the MX Records and CNAMES you will need:

MX modifications:

MX 0 smtp.secureserver.net
MX 20 mailstore1.secureserver.net

CNAME modifications:

mail.yourdomain.tld mapped to pop.secureserver.net (Replace your yourdomain.tld with your domain name)
email.yourdomain.tld mapped to email.secureserver.net (Replace your yourdomain.tld with your domain name)

You may change CNAMEs for your domain name within your account in the Total DNS control panel.

To modify a CNAME for your Domain Name:

First, you will need to login to your Account Manager.

-Select "Manage Domains" from the "Domains Names" drop down menu on the upper left hand side of the page.
-From the domain name list click the blue link that is the domain name in question.
-Near the center of the screen click the blue link that says "Total DNS Control and MX Records".
-Under the CNAMES (Aliases) section click on the edit link next to the CNAME you wish to change. (The edit link will be the pencil link on the right hand side of the screen under the "Actions" heading.)
-Enter the Alias Name and Points to Host Name as instructed on screen.
-Click the "OK" link to save the changes....

Does SmugMug have its own email interface that would allow me to use "myname@mydomain.com" and if not suppose I make the changes as suggested by Godaddy, will what they suggest (changing MX records and Cname) work without messing other things up???

I am new to smugmug and apprecaite all the help I have found in the archives at Digital Grin but I cannot seem to find an answer to this question.

Thanks

Jason

Comments