What are your favorite/best shots & why

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited October 22, 2006 in Wildlife
Hi y'all,

Here's a chance to show your favorite shots. Let's keep it to two shots per poster. Post the two shots are out of your collection that you really, really like and tell us why the shots stand out for you.

Here are mine.
83124472-O.jpg

This one is special to me because I saw it before it happened. I saw the wood storks in the water with the cloud's reflections in the water and I said to myself "now that would be a cool shot if you could get another bird flying in out of the cloud's reflection". So I decided to wait and sure enough an egret came flying in after a bit.

17020571-O.jpg

I love silhouette shots and this is my best of this type. I took this shot at the first Merritt Island shoot. Everybody else had rushed off to shoot an eagle sitting in a tree. I had enough eagle in a tree shots so I stayed where I was. I had been shooting with the light but when I turned around and looked into the light I saw the great colors in the sky and decided to shoot that way for a silhoutte shot.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Great work Harry, very beautiful.

[Click image to enlarge]

Well, in my category of favorites is this one of the pictures because of the composition and...I just have a weakness for small birds.

94972878-L.jpg

In the category of (one of my) best pictures is this capture. I find it just a beautiful shot and love the facial expression.

59604168-L.jpg

Dick
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Here's mine.
    It was a day filled with futility...just couldn't get a shot, when this Gray Catbird decided to pose for me. This shot shows all the identifiable characteristics that birders use to determine which bird is which.

98739531-L.jpg

The eyes say it all in this one from the zoo.

74490496-L.jpg
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    I like the composition, and the sharpness. I totally dig the "pose" of my Skimmer. I called it "X-Wing Fighter."

The detail at large print size, is outstanding. Helps I was using a borrowed Canon 500mm f/4 (wave.gif thanks Ian)

62303015-L-1.jpg
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Hello,

Harry - that first one of your is one my my favorites too. I remember showing it to my wife when I first saw it. Simply top notch.

This first one I like for a few reasons. I sell it as "Pelican in pre-dawn fog". First I really worked to get low to capture the sky colors for background - this was on the Pacific about 15 minutes before dawn and the earth's shadow cast a wonderful pink band on the sky. Secondly, I realized when shooting that if I got my lens right up to some dirt that I was laying on and shot wide open I could create an image of 'fog' at the base of the bird. I spent a lot of time repositioning and got this one. The 'fog' is just out of focus dirt right in front of the lens. What amazes me is that if I had been standing up this same image would just be a bird standing on poop covered dirt.

_MG_0514_adj2_web.jpg

Second (tough choice here) was a picture of a loon landing. I spent a good bit of time in the canoe this last summer chasing these guys. They land with their feet behind them, chest first, and so I was trying to capture the really neat crest of water that comes with their landing. The web version doesn't do this one justice - I've been selling it as 10x20", but the light that morning was just magical, and I felt the high shutter speed really gave a glimpse into a scene that the human eye otherwise could not see. Maybe not my best #2, but this one has some emotional baggage for me that moves it up the ladder.

_G2L0486_adj2_web.jpg
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    The first shot was taken at sunrise while I was taking pictures of a Black Crowned Night Heron. Then all of a sudden this Robin flew over with a worm in it's mouth and posed just long enough for me to get a couple shots off. Goes to show, early bird gets the worm.

74157726-L.jpg

Alright, added the second pic. This was at last years MI3 shootout in Florida. This was shot at the Orlando Wetlands just before the sun set. The Red-Shouldered Hawk sat there posing for us seeming to admire the sunset. It was extremely windy and to take off it needed to just stretch its wings and it was in the air. This is my favorite wildlife shot I have taken so far.

102686449-L.jpg
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 14, 2006
    I think my two favorites are these.

13067578-M.jpgp
    A Northern Harrier

and this GBH.

13614922-M.jpg

Both where shot with the 500 (you're welcome Andy!).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 14, 2006
    SteveF wrote:
    _MG_0514_adj2_web.jpg

bowdown.gif Outstanding, Steve.
  • traunerktraunerk Registered Users Posts: 513 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    man, two shots is tough...
    I;ve got to go with at least one birdie, since i've taken quite a few, but one just doesn't do justice. Raptors seem to be favorites, so...

Northern Harrier...

57047328-L.jpg

And I think I gotta go with at least one landscape...or cityscape if you wish...it was just such a spectacular sunset...

12839235-L.jpg

And neither is with the camera i'm currently using - first was drebel and second a sony v-1.

Regards...Keith
    Beam me outta here!:winkKT
  • traunerktraunerk Registered Users Posts: 513 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    I realized my cityscape may not fit...
    ...although it is the mighty Hudson River...so permit me to add one more clearly NATURE shot that fits the category...

I love the pastels in this photo - and it was taken in my wife's garden about ten steps from the front door... (moderator -feel free to remove my landscape if you wish - don't want anyone bothered by my extra pic...

26372372-L.jpg

Regards...Keith
    Beam me outta here!:winkKT
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    My favorite top 3 for THIS YEAR!
    All taken in the past month....imagine that. ne_nau.gif
    This one cuz I hunted all Summer for a great Butterfly shot for a seller.
    Nice framing....nice bokeh and super color! Just what I wanted!!!

100614040-M-1.jpg

Then this one cuz HummingBirds were top on my list to get.
    Then I got a super shot of one in action!

95817210-M.jpg

There is the Bear I got last weekend.
    Heard of reports around here of PPL seeing em for years and I never saw one.
    Lucked out cuz I had my camera handy for ONCE!
    So now I have pictorial proof of my first personal Bear!

101094043-M-1.jpg
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I like the composition, and the sharpness. I totally dig the "pose" of my Skimmer. I called it "X-Wing Fighter."

The detail at large print size, is outstanding. Helps I was using a borrowed Canon 500mm f/4 (wave.gif thanks Ian)

I've always like that shot but I was sure you would post your hawk shot too.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited October 14, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    The hawk seemed kinda clinical to me - sure it's a nice portrait, but I dig the action of the skimmer :)
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2006
    Beautiful photos everyone
    here are my 2 both from H5
    well this one because it was one of the 1st fews and shutter speed was really low (1/50 at full zoom)and i love that spider in his mouth
    80365945-L.jpg
    And i love his eyes in this one but nose is over exposed :cry
    83057568-L.jpg
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited October 15, 2006
    Both are super shots Awais!! thumb.gifthumb

edited October 15, 2006
    Harryb wrote:

Given Andy's line of Photography it's hard to imagine Him doing Wildlife! headscratch.gifD

• dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    Wow. I'm in awe. mine are not nearly as good.
    This little guy cause I like the color.
    98194459-L-1.jpg
    & this sandhill that was walking through a subdivison as I drove by.
    93236622-L-1.jpg
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    Nice favs folks!

I have quite a few I really like but will post the 2 that have the most meaning.

102220802-L.jpg

This shot took me 2 months. Not on the bird feeder, good background and light. High point I didn't blow the shot when it all came together.

63852194-L.jpg

I worked hard for this one too and haven't come close to anything like it since.

Ok make that 3

86144872-L.jpg

THis one could be a bit shaper around the face, still it was sort of a milestone. I knew where he was and actually set the camera on the fly and set it right:D
    edited October 15, 2006
    Outstanding shots so far but unless I'm even older and more feeble than I thought I'm sure that I said 2 shots per customer. deal.gif
    Harry
    edited October 15, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    I'm sure that I said 2 shots per customer. deal.gif

2? Oh ok :D

This is a personal favorite. I like the sharpness against the soft, fading away lavender flowerbud; the creamy bokeh. And the IR dreaminess.

45222900-L-1.jpg
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Outstanding shots so far but unless I'm even older and more feeble than I thought I'm sure that I said 2 shots per customer. deal.gif
    Whoopsie, trying to take the last shot off and not doing so hot, wanna help there Harry:D
    edited October 15, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Sorry Harry! rolleyes1.gifhide
    I dunno how to read just look at the pictures! lol3.gif

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    This was my first post on Dgrin... I still love this shot. The colors are great and it's tack sharp with a nice bokeh.

44236803-L.jpg

This one may not have as much impact to other people... but the Hippos in Africa are so much more dynamic than ones in zoos. This one just looked so happy; it brings back great memories of Africa. Scanned from a 35mm negative.

30961044-L.jpg
    Chris
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    I've don't take many pictures of wildlife, but I liked this shot because the birds looked very mischievious:-

73998205-M.jpg

and I like this image because for me it has a kind of on safari feel even though it was shot at Whipsnade:-

98278952-M.jpg

Charlie
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2006
    I like this one because it isnt a zoo. We were driving in Botswana when a heard of ele's decided they had right away...so you just stop the car until they are happy to move off.

6614373-M.jpg

Camping out in the bush saw a visitor...he circled the tent for a while. I swear he was the devil himself, man what an ugly animal.

6637772-M.jpg
    edited October 15, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Camping out in the bush saw a visitor...he circled the tent for a while. I swear he was the devil himself, man what an ugly animal.

6637772-M.jpg

I'm glad that I didn't see him in the flesh, just the picture scares the bejeesus out of me. :yikes
    Harry
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    2 Shots. You've got to be kidding.
    Normally, I'd post something recent, but I'll go with a couple of older ones.

This shot is the shot that made me think that I could take an OK nature shot.

43365160.jpg

This shot is from a raptor release last May.
    I was lucky enough to be in the right spot. This female eagle came in at 14 pounds, 2 pounds larger than any other eagle that they had previously released. She was all of 20 feet from me when she struck this mid air pose.
    I believe that this was a once in a lifetime shot for me, and that's why it's one of my favorites.

68122703-O.jpg

I have about 10 others that I could move in and out of this thread. Some are better, more technical shots, some are shots that I probably will never get the chance to do again. But I'm sure everyone has a story like that. :D
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    davev wrote:
    68122703-O.jpg

Wow !!!!!!!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2006
    What a great thread
    I'm in awe of the fantastic shots posted here. I haven't done much wildlife as my lens length isn't long enough....but, am working on solving the problem. In any case, this shot appeals to me for several reasons. My wife and daughter were walking around a south Mpls. lake each evening, then coming home and telling me how I should have been there taking pictures. I finally went with them and they were suggesting I go up on a bridge to take shots. We pulled in a parking place and as I got out of the car, across the street were these sailboats. Full moon, sun was starting to go down...."Forget the bridge, nothing is up there....look at this", I said to them. So I set up and fired off too many shots to count. This just captured the mood of a fun shoot for me and I love the look.

93182028-L.jpg

This next one is our neighbor's dog Lexie. She is groomed every 6 weeks and babied like no other dog. I wanted to do something for the neighbors so I fired off about 75 shots using my new 50 mm. Had this enlarged and framed and gave it to them....it's really the sum of my life....touching others using the abilities I've been given.

98091401-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited October 16, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    This was my first post on Dgrin... I still love this shot. The colors are great and it's tack sharp with a nice bokeh.

This one may not have as much impact to other people... but the Hippos in Africa are so much more dynamic than ones in zoos. This one just looked so happy; it brings back great memories of Africa. Scanned from a 35mm negative.

Well congrats on your first post and welcome cheerleader.gif

Excellent shots
    Harry
    edited October 16, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Well congrats on your first post and welcome cheerleader.gif

Excellent shots

Harry....I think you miss readheadscratch.gif ....Chris has been here since January 2005.

I agree with the excellent shot part.mwink.gif