My first time shooting a family!

hollychollyc Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited November 12, 2005 in People
I turn my garage into a studio on occasion to do some portrait work. I'm eager to hear what others have to say. I'm completely new at this and would appreciate all opinions, suggestions, etc. I have a digital rebel and use 2-3 studio lights with paper backgrounds. I used your average 28-80mm 3.5-6 or something. I really need to take an inventory of exactly what I have... But I digress. Here are the pics.

They were a lively bunch...
42238562-S.jpg

I think of this as the "Christmas Card" shot. What can I do to improve it?
42238510-S.jpg

Thanks for looking!:thumb

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    hollyc wrote:
    I turn my garage into a studio on occasion to do some portrait work. I'm eager to hear what others have to say. I'm completely new at this and would appreciate all opinions, suggestions, etc. I have a digital rebel and use 2-3 studio lights with paper backgrounds. I used your average 28-80mm 3.5-6 or something. I really need to take an inventory of exactly what I have... But I digress. Here are the pics.

They were a lively bunch...

I think of this as the "Christmas Card" shot. What can I do to improve it?

Thanks for looking!thumb.gif
    Hi Hollyc wave.gif welcome to dgrin! I love both these shots.. can we see them bigger? like this?42238562-L.jpg
  • hollychollyc Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Hollyc wave.gif welcome to dgrin! I love both these shots.. can we see them bigger? like this?
    Aha! Eureka! I see. Here's the other one a little bigger:

42238510-L.jpg
  • behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2005
    "My first time shooting a family!"

Whew! Glad to see they survived.:D

Nice shots.

Bear
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2005
    Good shots. Just a couple of things that might make them even better. I think it would be better if the light was softened somewhat (umbrella or softbox), this would reduce the hard shadows. Also, if you move your subjects further from the backdrop it would reduce the detail of the backdrop (4-5 feet is usually recomended). One last, but minor, thing, personally, I find it distracting that their black sweaters are all merged into one mass. An increase in the exposure would probably help with that (unless that is what you were going for, in which case it is fine). Hope this helps.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer