Look what I caught yesterday....

GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited September 18, 2011 in Wildlife
So, was staying with a friend in Merritt Island, FL. He likes to take his sons fishing. I hate fishing but my boys seem to like it so we all went. They fished and I brought my camera.

We went to one of the bridges over the Banana River. There are usually manatees and sometimes dolphins in the area. Sure enough saw LOTS of manatees. Was shooting them when the first pod of dolphins came through.

Now, I've always tried shooting them but they're difficult to shoot (certainly from shore) and you usually don't get much of them above water. I missed the first pod but spotted a second coming my direction. I went to the other side under the bridge and waited.

They were feeding and popping up every so often. I don't have a long lens so I had my 70-200mm f2.8 L on the body. I was zoomed fully at 200mm and the pod was feeding 50ish yards offshore. A little far to be sure.

I was scanning where I saw them last (through the camera) and caught this shot:

MG9375-XL.jpg

I was very pleased and glad it's in focus. Unfortunately, I had to crop heavily so I've lost some sharpness. I also want to do a better job with the dolphin itself as I'm not terribly happy with my processing on this one.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded story. I was just so excited I caught this. I see dolphins all of the time off the shore here in Jacksonville but I never see them jumping like this in open water. I see them slapping their tails but that's about it. I was fortunate with my timing and looking at the right place at the right time.

Comments

• ArtlifeArtlife Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    wow neat! What are you not happy with? too much contrast in the details? maybe a little over saturated in the dolphin? not sure since I do not see your original. Regardless, it's a great action shot I think.

DL http://www.artlife.us
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Thanks. Got a little thing happening with colors in the dolphin's body. Maybe I'm being too picky.
  • ArtlifeArtlife Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    GadgetRick wrote: »
    Thanks. Got a little thing happening with colors in the dolphin's body. Maybe I'm being too picky.

yeah a little color noise. It's one of those things that "regular" people don't usually notice (that's been my experience). Artists and other photographers might. Still a great shot.
    edited September 6, 2011
    Artlife wrote: »
    yeah a little color noise. It's one of those things that "regular" people don't usually notice (that's been my experience). Artists and other photographers might. Still a great shot.

Yup. Unfortunately, I'm not one of the regular people. I just don't shoot this type of stuff for money but I do other things.

Not sure there's much I can do about the noise as I tried to work with it in LR but no luck. Might just have to deal with it. :(
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited September 6, 2011
    Oh jeez, people get so carried away. It's a great shot anyway you slice it. Enjoy it. thumb.gif
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2011
    Kill for a wild shot like that.

If you didn't mention process would not bother me, the shots just sooooooooooooo ylsuper.gif
    edited September 7, 2011
    Thanks. I am my own worst critic. Both a good and bad thing being a photog.

I am still excited for catching this shot. The stars aligned for me at the moment in time. :)
  • WossaWossa Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    lovely capture.....very difficult to capture but this is wonderful.....congrats.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2011
    That is a wonderful image.

Like you I'm my worst critic. My wife closed the door on my office when I'm culling my images because she doesn't want to hear the language I use as I berate myself. At normal viewing distances any imperfections in this image will be barely visible and probably wouldn't be noticed as most viewers weyes will be on the motion and the pose you so effectively captured.

I woudl kill for a capture like this.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
    edited September 7, 2011
    Thanks everyone. I'm planning on printing this one for sure.
  • fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2011
    Nice catch. If it was "SeaWorld" I wouldn't be impressed, but to catch that moment in nature is very cool. Enjoy your image; I did! Thanks for sharing.
  • GaleGale Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2011
    That is an excellent capture...
    Really tough to catch
    Best Regards
    Gale

www.pbase.com/techwish
  • MikeAldrichMikeAldrich Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2011
    Excellent capture! I live in SW Florida and see dolphins all the time and I can tell you shots like these don't come very often. clap.gif
    “The digital camera is a great invention because it allows us to reminisce. Instantly.” -Demetri Martin

http://www.shuttershockphotobooth.com/
  • dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2011
    sweet shot!!
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
    edited September 18, 2011
    Thanks. I really am quite happy with the capture. Just want to figure out some better post processing on it as I'm planning to print this one.

I see dolphins when I'm at the beach all of the time in Jacksonville. I've seen them slapping their tails but I don't see them jumping like this often and certainly not when I've got my camera! This was the ONLY one which jumped and it was the ONLY time he jumped (while I was shooting). Talk about lucky!!

If I only could have caught him totally out of the water....

I'm my own worst critic... ne_nau.gif