Shooting for magazine cover..first time..tips needed!

KelMarieKelMarie Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited January 8, 2009 in The Big Picture
I got asked to shoot the cover for a local Women's magazine, I have had one photo in it before, but now I am shooting the COVER... any ideas, hints, tips, suggestions are greatly appreciated, as I have never done anything like this before. I Just got a new camera over 1 year ago, so I'm not All that familiar with shooting in manual mode, but would like to learn more...

I have to take the photo sometime in Feb. for the April issue of Queen of the Castle magazine...http://cvqueenofthecastle.com/default.aspx (< There is a link to the magazine)

I have a Nikon D40 with the stock lens it came w/ 18-55mm.

Any suggestions for ISO setting, white balance setting, shooting in manual mode (or other), and anything else.

Thanks so much everyone!

I'm so excited for this opportunity! I will make sure to post the cover of the magazine once it comes out!!!:ivar

-Kel
~Kelly~:marlin
Facebook
"Although life may lead you where you least expect it, you can have faith it's where you're meant to be."

Comments

• baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    KelMarie wrote:
    I'm so excited for this opportunity!l

That's awesome!

But keep in mind that they chose you based on the pictures you've taken in the past. Rather than trying to learn new stuff for this assignment why not just work like you have been and concentrate on taking a great picture they way you have been?

You should learn to take pictures using manual mode and the other modes your camera has. (My favorite at the moment is aperture mode.) But you may find that your pictures will not be as good if you are trying to learn new techniques while getting a shot for the magazine.
    geoff
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif Shoot what you know, and save the learning for another time. Concentrate on shot as this will be a nice step for your photography.
    Steve

Website
  • KelMarieKelMarie Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    Wow-- thank you, I didn't even think of it that way... you've saved me some major stressing out! Yay! I was thinking I had to jam all of this knowledge about photography into my brain before I could take this photo, but I was looking at it all wrong.

Thanks a bunch guys. thumb.gif
    ~Kelly~:marlin
    Facebook
    "Although life may lead you where you least expect it, you can have faith it's where you're meant to be."